Australian Open TENNIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tennispunk

Acrobat
Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad
Ok so I don't usually read this forum, but since I decided to venture here today....how is there no Aussie Open thread!?

Who do you all think is going to win? Will this be Federer's kick off to winning the grand slam? or will Andy Roddick finally make a rivalry out of the #1 & #2 players in the world?

me: Roger has Agassi next, who I think he'll take out in straight sets. Agassi took Federer to 5 sets at the US Open, but that was over 2 days and the weather conditions favored Andre. I think Marat Safin will beat Hrbaty and play Federer in the semis......I really think that when Safin brings his A-game, he can take out anyone, but sadly he's a mental case and doesn't often bring his best stuff.

On the bottom half....I think there will probably be a Hewitt/Roddick semifinal, but I can't decide who I think will win that. I can't wait to see it though--all those crazy Aussies cheering for Hewitt will make it like a Davis Cup match.

ok, someone argue with me! :wink:

I would love for Lleyton and Alica Molik to win :)

Thats not going to happen, but it would be crazy if it did.

Molik (i think i'm spelling that wrong) has Venus Williams next, which may be her entry out....but you never know.

Federer will annhilate agassi and all other contenders. I don't get the opponents, wave the white flag cos federer's taking that trophy home !!!

I wanted to start one but I figured no one would reply.

Before I write anything else, let me just say this:

Roger's shot around the net against Takao Suzuki. Freakin' wow. I saw Tim Henman actually try something similar at Wimbledon last year against Ancic to no avail but to actually see it come off was amazing.

Federer can and probably win the whole shebang, but I doubt he'll have it easy over Agassi. Roddick's got a fair chance to get to the final but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Federer-Hewitt for the final.

As for the women, I'm actually going to pick Serena Williams. I have a nagging feeling she's going to do it. Awful fashion sense, yes, but she's got the game.

yeah, I saw the around-the-net shot as well--that freakin knocked me on my arse. Federer just puts on a clinic every time he plays. I go to the USOpen men's semis and finals every year, and this year just watching him destroy Lleyton Hewitt was unbelievable.

I'm going to go out on a limb and pick Amelie Mauresmo to win this one, I think. She is a notorious choker (not quite at the jana novatna stage yet though), but she's got so much game that I think she'll come through. Or maybe Svetlana Kuznetsova.....I don't rule out Serena, but I think that she lacks game when she can't overpower everyone.

Well I missed most of the day's action with school, but I caught the end of Molik-Venus. Fun match, that looked.

Coria and Nalbandian are playing now but I've got an essay to write.

Hopefully I'll get to watch Federer-Agassi tomorrow.

What a match Lleyton played today, he almost looked out of it 2-1 sets down.
Another of his great combacks.

Molik Just climed another mountain....will be interesting how she fares in the match with Lindsay Davenport.

Coria and Nalbandian are sill play as we speak (1:36am)

I really admire Lleyton Hewitt--whenever I'm feeling crappy about myself, I put a picture of him all fired up on my desktop. He's got such confidence in himself, never-say-die, I'm just as good as anyone out there attitude. I really believe that Lleyton could be down 2 sets, and 0-5 in the 3rd and still think he could come back and win the match.

I think we could well have a Federer/Hewitt final, a repeat of the USOpen (although hopefully Hewitt won't lose 2 sets at love). Marat Safin is my favorite to watch (along with Federer) so I'm really looking forward to that semifinal!!!

Read: two sets and with Federer serving for the match.

Anyway, tennispunk was right. No stopping him, I think, although Safin could spring a surprise. Hewitt ought to trounce Davydenko but hey, it's the Aussie Open, who knows?

Oh and Maria Sharapova is beginning to annoy me with her grunting.

Yertle, I am so jealous! the matches are televised at hideous hours here in Chicago.

however, I am keeping my tired arse up to watch the Federer/Safin semifinal!!

what do you think about the Sharapova/Serena match? talk about beauty and the beast, no? I think Lindsay Davenport is going to win, if she can keep herself healthy

actually I hardly get to watch because I've got school

I'm usually just able to catch the last night match.

Wimbledon and the French are a lot easier because they coincide with my hols and have evening start times where I live

nothing quite beats a good Aussie crowd though.

I think Serena will beat Sharapova. It'll be fun to watch (if I can), and I do think the winner of the tournament overall will come from that match. Lindsay, too, seems to have a very clear route to the final (nothing against Alicia Molik, Patty Schnyder and Nathalie Dechy, of course) but I'm not sure what she'll do when she gets there.

Lleyton Hewitt!!! 10-8 in the 5th set, and damn ESPN2 to hell for not showing the entire thing!!

Unfortunately for Lleyton, Davydenko retired early in the 3rd set against Andy Roddick, so Roddick will be fresh and rested for the semifinal, whereas Hewitt played a long, grueling match.....I still think Hewitt will win because Roddick can't win unless he can serve Hewitt off the court.

Sharapova just lost the second set....... she needs to pull it together..... i want her to win

as for the men...... i predict Federer to take out Lleyton in 4 in the final......

un-fucking-believable.

I came home, sadly, late and only tuned it at the 4th set tiebreak.

I feel bad for Roger, but who the heck can deny Safin this moment? The only trouble is this has been such a fantastic match I don't know if he's up to playing one more.

wow what a match! after Federer saved the 6th match point i honestly didn't think Safin would pull through but well played!!!!

both played awesome tennis........ this could be the new Sampras - Agassi ......... we have't had a great rivalry for a while now.....

Hmm... if Hewitt gets through and plays Safin in the final, I won't know who to barrack for - my former countryman or my present one, :)

Safin played a fantastic match... but with his volatile temper rearing its head from time to time it's hard to say if he can maintain the same level. I saw him play 4th round with the Belgian guy and his big serve was about the only thing that pulled him through.

:applaud: marat safin :applaud:

I watched the entire match this afternoon without knowing who won, and my nails are bitten down so there's hardly anything left! I'm a wee bit sad for Roger, but Marat is my guy no matter who he's playing. They both played one helluva match, and it's the kind of match where after awhile, you don't care who wins because the tennis is so fantastic. I don't know if Marat's got another one in him, but I really hope he does because he's a fantastic player and he's been able to keep his head on straight this long. 3rd time's a charm, maybe? let's hope.

Lleyton into the final....what a game..
I dont like Lleyton....but hes a great player, and its great to see an Aussie in the final!

Bring on Sunday!

"When we come back, Federer will serve to stay in the match."

Not something you hear often.

I thought he was done for after I saw him drop his head in anguish after Safin cracked a cross-court winner. What a great match.

Missed all the tennis today but hopefully I can squeeze in a highlight or two. I'm quite torn between who I want to win, but I hope it'll be a good match.

Wow, Lleyton is in! I'm still not impressed with some of his on-court behaviour, but you gotta admire the guy's fighting spirit.

Didn't see the women's final today, but my Mum said she thought Serena was shamelessly overacting about her injury to win sympathy... not sure how fair it is.

Ummm-hmmmm... I think I'll have to go with Hewitt because it just would be great if an Aussie won the 100th Oz Open.

But if Safin does win I won't be too upset either... the poor guy must be sick and tired of being a bridesmaid, :)

SAFIN.
You have to root for Safin. I don't care if it's an Aussie in the final. Safin is great to watch, he took out the #1 player in the world in a thrilling match, has been to the final in Australia twice before and has mentally collapsed both times. This has to be his year. Plus, come on ladies, if Marat wins, he could well pants himself, and that's always worth the price of admission. :drool:

Would like to see Safin win, but I think Hewitt will get over the line. He will have the crowd support and this is just the sort of game he plays well in.

Could be totally wrong, but we'll see. 3.30pm Perth time it will be televised.

Amazing final today! I have to admit that my favourite one was Hewitt, but Safin played an awsome game... After that first set (6-1) I was sure he'll recover, but I guess the "mind" game was in the third set, when Safin, being led by 4-1, and after running around the court more after his rackett than the balls... well, he cleared his mind from anger and frustrations and played super-tennis! He deserved to win that match!

Back
Top Bottom