Australian Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
Maybe Marcos Baghdatis can afford a haircut and shave now he's beaten Andy Roddick?

Oh yeah, I want to say I'm delighted for Fabrice Santoro. He's probably not going to beat David Nalbandian in his quarter-final, but he's a fun player to watch and it's awesome to see him go as far as he has, especially since he's been on the tour for so long.

Last edited:
:up: on the haircut

I listened to the Roddick-Baghdatis game on the radio last night, sounded like Baghdatis had plenty of great shots. it's refershing to see a newcomer, i'm also glad Santoro is still there.

Agreed about the Ladies final. Still, congratulations to Amelie, she's finally done it.

I do hope, in a twisted sort of way, Justine really was physically sick rather than having a minor problem and letting it grow disproportionately in her mind.

And did anyone watch that doubles final? Now that was a great match.

I watched the men's final last night and was laughing at the commentators hyping of Baghdatis during the early part of the match. It's all so melodramatic. He was playing well, he was hitting his shots but Federer was playing like shit. Plus he's Roger Federer who only lost 4 MATCHES during all of 2005. I was watching the thing saying Federer has so much experience that he can turn this match around at any time yet the commentators almost gave the title to his opponent.

Baghdatis played an excellent match but in the end he was overcome by more experienced and talented player. No offense to Baghdatis fans, but one Grand Slam final does not make you the next superstar.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm just tired of the media hyping up players who are playing the tennis of their lives. Baghdatis is a refreshing player who defeated 4 of the top 17 players in the tournament to reach the final with great play but I notice especially in tennis the media loves to cheer the underdog while showing little respect for the player like Federer. It's almost as if they want a new champion to win, that's fine too but make sure he wins before lauding him with praises of the next great thing. Age isn't a factor when Boris Becker was 20, he had already won 2 Wimbledon titles and had a French Open semi-final appearance.

Federer is dominating men's tennis like no one has for a long time, it was just sad to watch at the end when Federer was just making him look bad at times. I have been watching tennis since the early 80's and consider Federer to be the best player I have ever seen. Plus he is a great person on the court, no tantrums, generally a good sport with respect for his opponents.

trevster2k said:
I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm just tired of the media hyping up players who are playing the tennis of their lives. Baghdatis is a refreshing player who defeated 4 of the top 17 players in the tournament to reach the final with great play but I notice especially in tennis the media loves to cheer the underdog while showing little respect for the player like Federer. It's almost as if they want a new champion to win, that's fine too but make sure he wins before lauding him with praises of the next great thing. /B]

:up: i listened on 5live and it was like the Marcos fan club, which is ok in a way but at the same time Federer deserves plenty of respect, especially in finals where his record is stunning.

Originally posted by trevster2k I have been watching tennis since the early 80's and consider Federer to be the best player I have ever seen. Plus he is a great person on the court, no tantrums, generally a good sport with respect for his opponents.

:up: :up:

the french open is huge this year now :yes:

^the French Open is always interesting since clay changes the dynamics of the whole tournament. It is such an equalizing surface which makes it difficult for power players to dominate. And not all the players like to slide around at Roland Garros. The French Open is great fun to watch every year. It should be excellent this year.

Federer has a great chance at the French; he had an amazing clay court season last year, losing to Nadal in a match he should have won....he had his chances, he was the dictating the points, was ahead in that fourth set, but comitted unusual errors at key moments. Had he beaten Nadal, he would have won the title against cheater Puerta...
So if he reaches the semis and plays good tenis from then on, nobody is going to be able to beat him; When Federer is on, he's unbeatable, maybe the greatest player the world has ever seen

Nube Gris said:
Federer has a great chance at the French; he had an amazing clay court season last year, losing to Nadal in a match he should have won....he had his chances, he was the dictating the points, was ahead in that fourth set, but comitted unusual errors at key moments. Had he beaten Nadal, he would have won the title against cheater Puerta...
So if he reaches the semis and plays good tenis from then on, nobody is going to be able to beat him; When Federer is on, he's unbeatable, maybe the greatest player the world has ever seen

:yes: when he's on he's unbeatable and even when he's not "on" he still manages to win most of the time:wink:

Only 6 or 7 players have ever won the Career Grand Slam, most cannot win the French Open. Federer's greatest strength, IMO, is his demeanor, even when things aren't going well for him, he somehow overcomes it instead of getting frustrated and angry.

trevster2k said:
Baghdatis played an excellent match but in the end he was overcome by more experienced and talented player. No offense to Baghdatis fans, but one Grand Slam final does not make you the next superstar.

He was world champion in the junior category, he is not a revelation but a confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom