Australian Open - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:29 PM

Old 01-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:59 PM
I watched the men's final last night and was laughing at the commentators hyping of Baghdatis during the early part of the match. It's all so melodramatic. He was playing well, he was hitting his shots but Federer was playing like shit. Plus he's Roger Federer who only lost 4 MATCHES during all of 2005. I was watching the thing saying Federer has so much experience that he can turn this match around at any time yet the commentators almost gave the title to his opponent.

Baghdatis played an excellent match but in the end he was overcome by more experienced and talented player. No offense to Baghdatis fans, but one Grand Slam final does not make you the next superstar.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:29 AM
True, that, but give the guy a break. He's played the tournament of a lifetime, and has done it with good spirit.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #19
War Child

Location: Hellas, and God knows where else you 've got your tape recorders turned on...
Local Time: 10:29 PM
If you watched the first set you propably saw that Baghy had a powerful second hit after Federer's serves...
Plus he's only 20 years old...
Old 01-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm just tired of the media hyping up players who are playing the tennis of their lives. Baghdatis is a refreshing player who defeated 4 of the top 17 players in the tournament to reach the final with great play but I notice especially in tennis the media loves to cheer the underdog while showing little respect for the player like Federer. It's almost as if they want a new champion to win, that's fine too but make sure he wins before lauding him with praises of the next great thing. Age isn't a factor when Boris Becker was 20, he had already won 2 Wimbledon titles and had a French Open semi-final appearance.

Federer is dominating men's tennis like no one has for a long time, it was just sad to watch at the end when Federer was just making him look bad at times. I have been watching tennis since the early 80's and consider Federer to be the best player I have ever seen. Plus he is a great person on the court, no tantrums, generally a good sport with respect for his opponents.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Federer played amazingly as usual, he's incredible. Baghdatis played well though & I was happy for the guy...I'm interested to see how he does in the grand slams this summer.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
[B]I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm just tired of the media hyping up players who are playing the tennis of their lives. Baghdatis is a refreshing player who defeated 4 of the top 17 players in the tournament to reach the final with great play but I notice especially in tennis the media loves to cheer the underdog while showing little respect for the player like Federer. It's almost as if they want a new champion to win, that's fine too but make sure he wins before lauding him with praises of the next great thing. /B]
i listened on 5live and it was like the Marcos fan club, which is ok in a way but at the same time Federer deserves plenty of respect, especially in finals where his record is stunning.

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k I have been watching tennis since the early 80's and consider Federer to be the best player I have ever seen. Plus he is a great person on the court, no tantrums, generally a good sport with respect for his opponents.

the french open is huge this year now
Old 01-29-2006, 11:48 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^the French Open is always interesting since clay changes the dynamics of the whole tournament. It is such an equalizing surface which makes it difficult for power players to dominate. And not all the players like to slide around at Roland Garros. The French Open is great fun to watch every year. It should be excellent this year.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

yes true, but i meant it will be bigger this year because if federer wins it he will have all 4 slams, & that doesn't happen much
Old 01-30-2006, 12:05 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Federer has a great chance at the French; he had an amazing clay court season last year, losing to Nadal in a match he should have won....he had his chances, he was the dictating the points, was ahead in that fourth set, but comitted unusual errors at key moments. Had he beaten Nadal, he would have won the title against cheater Puerta...
So if he reaches the semis and plays good tenis from then on, nobody is going to be able to beat him; When Federer is on, he's unbeatable, maybe the greatest player the world has ever seen
Old 01-30-2006, 12:10 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Nube Gris
Federer has a great chance at the French; he had an amazing clay court season last year, losing to Nadal in a match he should have won....he had his chances, he was the dictating the points, was ahead in that fourth set, but comitted unusual errors at key moments. Had he beaten Nadal, he would have won the title against cheater Puerta...
So if he reaches the semis and plays good tenis from then on, nobody is going to be able to beat him; When Federer is on, he's unbeatable, maybe the greatest player the world has ever seen
when he's on he's unbeatable and even when he's not "on" he still manages to win most of the time
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Only 6 or 7 players have ever won the Career Grand Slam, most cannot win the French Open. Federer's greatest strength, IMO, is his demeanor, even when things aren't going well for him, he somehow overcomes it instead of getting frustrated and angry.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:04 AM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Baghdatis played an excellent match but in the end he was overcome by more experienced and talented player. No offense to Baghdatis fans, but one Grand Slam final does not make you the next superstar.
He was world champion in the junior category, he is not a revelation but a confirmation.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:37 AM   #29
War Child

not directly related to the australian open but...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...rapova_01.html