Australian Music Appreciation Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because the Aussies know how to rock as well

well the thing about the australian culture is we do have an 'aw shucks' reception to anything good we do

that and sometimes australian bands are not marketed that well or 'hit the international market' the wrong way

anyway these acts rock:

Inxs - Michael Hutchence
Crowded House - Neil Finn
Noiseworks - John Stevens
Sherbet - Daryl Braithwaite
Australian Crawl - James Reyne
Johnny Diesel - sometimes known as Mark Lizotte

of the more modern acts:

Powderfinger - Bernard Fanning
Augie March
Motorace
Grinspoon
Regurgitator

Women
Leonardo's Bride
Deborah Conway
Jenny Morris
Divinyls - Chrissie Amphlett
Wendy Matthews
oh and Kylie too :)

I swear, my planets must be aligned or something now :lmao:
I have been meaning to get You I know (GREAT catchy song by Jenny Morris - for the unititiated) and also some classic Daryl Braithwaite :up: And it isn't every day you hear these people mentioned in conversation.
weird.

Add my undying love for Hunters & Collectors, My ever fav Skunkhour, The band I hate to admit I love - Killing Heidi and also Max Sharam for good measure.

:drool:

I honestly don't understand how on earth it's possible Hunters & Collectors didn't become world famous

:hmm:

Neil Finn's not from Australia. :| ;)

I got myself a Midnight Oil album (Blue Sky Mining) used today. Haven't heard it all yet though.

My current favourite Aussie song has to be 'I'm Stranded' by the Saints though. Can't get enough of it.

INXS!!!!!!! :heart:

I was watching a tape of videos I had recording back in 1997, and "Elegantly Wasted" was on there. Just about every time I see Michael Hutchence in pictures or in videos, I cry. His death still saddens me. It's hard to listen to his music sometimes.

How amazing- I was watching the Saturday morning video clips show today and they showed a 'classic hit' which was never tear us apart- 1980s INXS were great....

Speaking about some of the acts that you mentioned,
I saw Chrissie Amphlett, just last month in Brisbane for a 'women in voice' gig- she was great
Hunters most definately should have become worldly known
and for the Saints fan, go and check out some of Ed Keupper's (the lead guitarist in the Saints) solo work, whilst it differs a bit from the Saints- he is just amazing...

Personal Aussie Music Faves of mine include,
The living End- one of the best live bands
Alex Lloyd- seeing him live next month!!!
Xavier Rudd:heart:
John Butler Trio- seeing him live next month too!!
The Panics
I like the new stuff that Daniel Johns and Paul Mac (The Dissasociatives) are doing
the cat empire
epicure
pete murray
Machine Gun Fellatio- truly the BEST and most jaw-dropping live gig you could ever witness
powderfinger

no so current acts whom I love
midnight oil
crowded house
men at work
daddy cool
warumpi band- they origninally wrote 'My Island Home', which was made popular by Christine Anu a few years back
ed keupper
Paul Kelly

oh and I am going to see Jet tonight, I shall let you all know how the gig was in this tread tomorrow:wink:

Some bands not yet mentioned:

You Am I :rant:
AC/DC :Salome:
The Cruel Sea
The Church
Rose Tattoo (Yertle would love them I reckon)
The Bee Gees (throw fruit, I don't care :wink:)
The Pictures
End Of Fashion

I'm about to pick up the latest from Architecture in Helsinki. This album has finally made it to the states. Easy Street says, "It's sort of like Brian Wilson stepping out of the sandbox to produce Belle and Sebastian. Sort of." All I know is that I really dig that attic and the basement song.

Calluna said:
OzAurora, I am so jealous of you for getting to see Machine Gun Fellatio live.

I gotta say that they are crass, rude and just brilliant, the last time that I saw them in December, they had on stage with them 'The Happy Side Show' who are a stage troupe of freak show, sword-swallowing misfits- the result was an amazing show,full of heaps of nudity, men in hot pants using angle-grinders to grind away at their metal plated nether regions, sword-swallowing and just plain fun......

MGF_04.jpg

Now speaking of the Jet gig- I gotta say that I wasnt that impressed. There was a big crowd at the venue- why they had such a propular band in a small venue on the coast, is beyond me, but anyway it didnt take that long to get a can of beer at the bar. I actually like the pictures (support band) a lot more than Jet. Jet came on at midnight and were off the stage by 1am and they didnt do an encore. They didnt have much of a stage presence and they were way too fooking loud, we were up the front at one stage and I gotta say, that i have been to a lot of gigs and they were one of the loudest, when it is that loud the sound is just distorted and sounds shit house. ANyway I am looking forward to Alex Lloyd next month, and my prediction is that I dont think Jet are going to become the next Powdefinger....:huh:

A few very cool OZ bands not already mentioned in this thread:

Gersey
Art of Fighting
Halogen

Also worth checking out is Isidore, the brand new (I think it is just beginning to ship now) collaboration of The Church's Steve Kilbey and Remy Zero's Jeffery Cain. The three songs I've heard so far are stunning. I've had my copy on order since mid-December (from the very first date I could order it), and am looking so forward to this release.

On a side note -- Steve Kilbey also paints and just did a portrait of Nick Cave. It's pretty cool. You can take a look at http://www.karmichit.com/SK_Gallery.htm

Last edited:
Wow that is a short set...jet set...:D just thought of that.
One hour is a bit of a rip off. I haven't watched their Forum concert yet that I taped from RAGE..... haven't watched the
jet set yet....oh stop it!
there are so many good Aussie musicians. Ones that I admire a lot
Tommy Emmanuel, Slava Grigoryan,Kasey Chambers, Archie Roach and Ruby Hunter, Mark Seymour, Crowded House( we adopted them) Yothu Yindi, Dave Hole, John Butler Trio, Diesel,
The Church, Andy Durant and the Stars, Kate Cebrano, The Waifs,
Los Garbos, Airborne Blues Virus and Bourbon Street....and others

yertle I was thinking about you earlier. I associate Nick Cave with you

yertle-the-turtle said:
oh and has anyone mentioned nick cave yet?
nick cave = god. or satan, who knows.
you can have the video I just bought if you like, if it works at your place. It's 20 film clips, plus band comments, released in 1998. You're welcome to it.

don't get me started indra. I loved Steve Kilby back when The Church started and have a wonderful mention of seeing them at an outdoor concert and being stoked about his paisley guitar:)Thanks for the link.

oh
and
epicure...I still have only heard 3 songs of theirs , but I want their album. Ilove Juan's sweet voice

Back
Top Bottom