Australian Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favourite Australian Band/Artist?

• Powderfinger - Australia's answer to U2

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • The Avalanches

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • george

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something for Kate

• Blue Bottle Kiss

• Augie March

• Crowded House

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • the Scientists

• Midnight Oil

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Regurgitator

• the Screaming Jets

• Silverchair

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Skyhooks

• Hunters and Collectors

• Natalie Imbruglia

• The Living End

• John Butler Trio

• Kylie Minogue ahahahaha! no freakin way! :D

• Nick Cave

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
ah yesh

something totally taken for granted

though there is times the australian public usually overlooks their own talent because we get a bit shy on endorsing our talent overseas

but out of these australian acts, which do you like the most?

I did not vote becuase I have not heard all of the artists and do not want to vote for some thing if some thing I never heard is better.

I picked Midnight Oil, though I really love Crowded House too. I tend to think of Crowded House as being a New Zealand band because that's where Neil Finn is from, anyway. Guess what? I saw Midnight Oil in concert in May, and I'm seeing Neil Finn TOMORROW! I'm very excited. The Oils were so amazing. I've never seen such energy--I think it was the best show I've been to. Before seeing them, I only had Diesel and Dust, Blue Sky Mining, Earth and SUn and Moon, Capricornia, the greatest hits, and the only pre-D&D album I had was Red Sails in the Sunset. After the concert I started buying every single thing I didn't have by them and I now have every album except The Real Thing, which was a live/acoustic album with some new songs. I've heard of other people having similar experiences after seeing them live. Anyway, Aussie music rocks! Besides the Oils and CH I also like The Church, INXS, and Savage Garden.

By the way, I also like the songs I know by Men at Work! "Who can it beeeeeeeee now..."

Last edited:
well, being a yank i don't know all of them, but i have seen Powderfinger live, and they rawk so my vote goes to them (especially since INXS is absent from the poll!)

anyone who has not heard silverchair's Diorama... do yourself a favor and give it a listen...

I loooooooove silverchair, but I also like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

I chose "Other" as there was no Savage Garden on the list :p

Crowded House are cool as well

Also wanted to say that I don't know much about Powderfinger but I think Midnight Oil is actually the Australian U2 (or is it the other way around? The Oils released an album first). There are a lot of parallels between their careers, and they have a similar approach and outlook.

All of the Above....even Kylie

Well I have had the pleasure of being there sometimes,
of seeing some of those bands in their embryonic form .

No matter where I lived I suppose ,I'd be "into it" but wow!! a bunch of Aussie's rocking their heart out...nothing like it imho:)

There are some very hot and very professional young musos coming along....WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!

PS: Here is a good place to tell my good news....The NSW State Government have made funds available to for a purpose built Contemporary Music College..........in Grafton!!!:)

I voted for something for kate, they just have a mad sound and the Lyrics rule
i hold lyrics in such high regard

sif like savage garden :eyebrow:

AdamsMango said:

I agree! I have a feeling I am going to be made fun of for this though! I love SG

Cool! another SG fan! I was obsessed with them for about a year - it was them that got me into U2 :yes:

Welcome to the board Mango :)

:drool: mmmmmmmmm, Aussie Music!!!!

I love Australian music and I think that we really do have some amazing past and present bands and artists- I am the lone Hunters and Collectors voter- now for anyone familiar with the song you would have to say that 'Throw your arms around me' is like the Australian 'One'- I love that song and the band, but I really do like most of the other artists on that list too, especially Nick cave, Silverchair, Living End, George, The Avalanches and on and on, but I must say that where was Paul Kelly- my hero and the Cruel Sea and TISM, Radio Birdman, Ed Keupper, The Whitlams, You am I- gee this list could go on and on- gotta love the Aussie music scene:)

Nothing much to add, except that it's occured to me recently that I really rather dislike Powderfinger. Undeniably talented, but a personality-free zone if ever there was one. Something isn't quite right. Can't put my finger on it, no pun intended.

Midnight Oil have the opposite problem. Tons of personality, piss and vinegar to spare, but somehow the music does not live up to the legend, in my opinion at least.

Crowded House were not Australian. Ok, they had Australian members, but the guts of that band was Neil Finn.

I'd quibble at Nick Cave (and/or Bad Seeds) as well. A fine, and getting-better-all-the-time, songwriter, but he's about as Australian these days as Clive James.

Ten years from now Something for Kate will make Powderfinger look like the Bee Gees... or I'll eat my hat.

Too soon to say much about Augie March. I love them dearly, and what a timeless gem their debut was, like it had been locked in an attic for a lifetime. But they could as easily retire to the shadows as go anywhere, I feel.

And yes, Hunters and Collectors deserve a vote too. They won't get it from me 'cause I'm too young lol, but there's an even better song than Throw Your Arms Around Me - 'Relief'.

'And if sleeping brings relief
you can all go lie down and slumber...'

Aah, those horns. It's like War-era U2 with more swing, but likewise the singer cannot sing. You gotta love it though.

I dont know whether to agree more with OzA or K McC. Except on Midnight Oil K. If I were to be presumptuous...hahaha like I could do that! I'd say the Oils lack beauty? Beauty is not the right word I'm sure but from what I know of you, you like music that has something extra. I'm not trying to paint you as a tosser purist with a tendancy to rave on, but....blah blah, we are talking about music not what you find in music, hehehe.

Blue Bottle Kiss. I have never known anyone else who even knows who they are. Not that I can be called a massive fan, I only know one solitary song, and it was awesome. Cant recall the name, but it was a lot of static and interference. Very much along the lines of Skunkhour with Up To Our Necks In It. The song made me think of suicide, the issue, not me wanting to do it...strange song. It just sounded totally like an anguished mind that wanted a way out.

INXS, Midnight Oil and H&C are my 3 all time favourite Aus acts. I voted for H&C too OzA simply because I am never ever ever sick of them. The same can be said for all of them, but H&C are just...I dont even know. Memories, associations with things, summer, music is odd.

We make some good shit here.

In that list Crowded House. Also used to like Savage Garden, but I haven't listened to them in a long while (maybe it's time to dig up the CD!) Kylie's great on certain days, and her last CD was pretty brilliant, one of the best things to come by in 2001 in my opinion. Haven't heard anything that catchy in a long while.

I voted for Powdefinger but it was a tough choice i must say. I also :heart: Something for Kate, silverchair, George and Natalie Imbruglia.

Others i like: INXS, Crowded House, Midnight Oil, some Nick Cave, John Butler Trio.

Two other great bands not mentioned are Eskimo Joe, and the gorgeous Rhubarb.
:yes:

Back
Top Bottom