Australian Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favourite Australian Band/Artist?

• Powderfinger - Australia's answer to U2

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • The Avalanches

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • george

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something for Kate

• Blue Bottle Kiss

• Augie March

• Crowded House

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • the Scientists

• Midnight Oil

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Regurgitator

• the Screaming Jets

• Silverchair

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Skyhooks

• Hunters and Collectors

• Natalie Imbruglia

• The Living End

• John Butler Trio

• Kylie Minogue ahahahaha! no freakin way! :D

• Nick Cave

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
This is a great post ! well Im biased of course. I have to go for Crowded House ( When U Come, all time fav song, just beautiful)

Also love Something for Kate, Midnight Oil, Living End and You Am I which is not mentioned.

Pamela

This is my 200th Post - at least with this name !!
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

Last edited:
Angie, re. Midnight Oil - right on all counts.

Re. Dave Graney, yes he is one of my favourites. I cannot understand why he is not on the list. Dave Graney is the Frank Zappa of his generation.

It's funny; I think Midnight Oil's music is beautiful. I seriously do. I think most people listen to them more for power, excitement, energy, attitude, political lyrics, but to me, songs like Kosciusko, Under the Overpass, My Country, Drums of Heaven, and The Dead Heart are very beautiful. Beauty is what I look for above all in music and I wouldn't like the Oils as much as I do if I didn't find that quality in them.

I saw Neil Finn two days ago. What a great show--fun, funny, beautiful. A lot of people ended up dancing in front of the stage by the end, including me. He also did an in-store appearance at the Virgin Megastore, and in a weird way that might have been even better than the actual concert. He did six acoustic songs and two of them were the songs I absolutely most wanted to hear--Private Universe (I was in shock) and Into the Sunset. I also talked to him for a minute when he signed my CD. He's very funny, very genuine and so talented.

I have to check out Hunters and Collectors some time.

Last edited:
Midnight oil have their moments of beauty, for sure. 'One Country' is an awesome song and also provides proof that Peter Garrett really can sing when he so chooses.

'Don't call me baby
Don't talk in maybes
Don't talk like has-beens
Sing it like it should be...'

Yeah there's beauty there, but there are also too many paint-by-numbers rants for me to ever really call myself a fan.

BTW Betty, there's a reason the Superjesus aren't on the list, and I suspect it's got nothing to do with Adelaide.

Adelaide is a fine city - I'd move there if I could...

Kieran McConville said:

Yeah there's beauty there, but there are also too many paint-by-numbers rants for me to ever really call myself a fan.

I figure every band has some paint-by-numbers songs...I think U2 does. But man, after acquiring almost all of Midnight Oil's albums over the last two months, I'm starting to think they're one of the most versatile bands I've ever come across.

Let's not get into an argument about this, though ;)

No problem, and really I do enjoy a lot of Midnight Oil - heck, I even used to own a bunch of their records. And to some extent I share their politics, it's just that the transcendence doesn't always seem to be there.

Oh Kieren, do I hear some tall poppies being cut down??????

I can relate to some of what you said in your first post, but then again I just wonder why you have to be so harsh, and no this is not because you attacked artists that I respect, I just dont understand your rationale basically......but anyway can I ask which Aussie artists you personally like- I know you like Paul Kelly- good choice, anyway who else do you admire and I too like Dave Graney, seem him live countless times but I would never of thought of him in the same way as Zappa- I really find that a very interesting correlation- Graney reminds me more of a lounge singing and jazzed up Leonard Cohen- but anyway each to his own, music can be so subjective...

oh and by the way I liked your comparrison of the Hunters to War era U2, maybe that is why I like them so much, seeing as though War is my favourite U2 album, and Mark Seymour not being able to sing!!!!!! what is with that, he has a great voice have a listen to 'January Rain'- a song that shows his voice beautifully:)

Argh..Darren Hayes...Cant stand him...can't stand most of his fans either

Truly, if you post on ASG you probably know how I get along with savage garden fans. So far I've gotten 2 names banned on there. But I'm back to disturb their mindless discussion!

RavenStar said:

Truly, if you post on ASG you probably know how I get along with savage garden fans. So far I've gotten 2 names banned on there. But I'm back to disturb their mindless discussion!

I don't like some of his fans. But I met him and he was unbeliveable! He was so sweet. I don't like ASG. the Mod. there is an ass. I have told him off so many times.

scatteroflight said:

I have to check out Hunters and Collectors some time.

Oh yes please do and I think I can honestly say that if you like both U2 and Midnight Oil then I think you are going to like Hunters and Collectors, Ok now I think that you should try and download these song Mp3s from a server and see what you think...

Holy Grail

Talking to a stranger

Head above water

Where do you go

True tears of joy

Throw your arms around me (the quintessential H&C song)

and check this out to learn more
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

OzAurora:

Sorry, I didn't realise I was being either harsh or obscure. Well simply my rationale is what I like vs what I do not like. Simple as that.

Yeah Mark Seymour's singing improved greatly with time. I am referring to earlier work. And my main point was, despite (what I perceive as) his lousy singing/shouting, it was a damn fine record (Human Frailty, that is).

The Dave Graney/Frank Zappa thing was in jest. I wasn't serious, except in so much as I have heard a tiny bit of Zappa and there seemed to be a bit of the same loner cowboy vibe going on. Oh well.

I dissed Powderfinger cause I think they stink. Basically. Ditto the Superjesus. I have some time for Midnight Oil, as previous posts would make clear - they ARE a talent, whatever my own views on them.

Which Aussies artists do I personally like? Ok, short off the cuff list:

Dave Graney
Paul Kelly (yes)
Augie March
Something for Kate
Underground Lovers
The Go-betweens
Spiderbait (a bit)
Machine Gun Fellatio

There are others probably, I cannot think of them offhand right now...

all the mods there are asses. I got banned the first time because I had the sigil of baphomet in my sig(same pic as now). The one mod, liebling, said it was offending everyone so she banned me. All they do is post things like "Im going to bed now" or "What are you listening to right now?". We should get a whole bunch of people and go take over that board.

RavenStar said:

I used to post on ASG, but I sort of drifted away from there when I became a U2 fan. I haven't posted regularly there for about a year now, but occasionally I lurk there a bit, just to see if anything major has happened. I can't really cope with more than one board at once - I spend too much time on the computer as it is. I do remember you getting banned once though, when you had the same name as here.

RavenStar said:
We should get a whole bunch of people and go take over that board.

I think we should just leave them alone. They seem to be a nice enough bunch of people to me :yes: Several of them are U2 fans too! It's their board after all, they should be allowed to do what they like there if you ask me.

Originally posted by AdamsMango
But I met him and he was unbeliveable! He was so sweet

You met Darren!!!!!!! You are too lucky Mango! I'd love to meet him. He comes accross as the sweetest guy in the world :love:

I think I remember you from somewhere too - maybe ASG. I remember someone had the word mango in their name. I'm guessing it was probably you.

I also went under the name reload. Now I am called Refresh and hardly any of them have a clue who I am! They seem nice but they're not. They say that I offend them with my religion so I say that they offend me with all their posts like "please pray for my friend" and such. I tried to start a serious post like Other Religions and it got 7 replies. Unlike the post "Im going to bed now" which got 30.

I just saw INXS live last weekend!

Euphoria.

Best band to come out of Australia. Ever.

Thanks for your reply to my post Kieren Mc- I can honestly see what you mean about Powderfinger, I can say that I think that they are damn fine musicians and produce some great music, however it just does nothing for me and for so long I have wondered why it is that I was not getting the finger vibe, I do however like some of their more rocky stuff like that song about Ray and the dog one -(I think that Anthony'the man'Mundine was in the clip for that song), maybe I am just not one for the sentimental ballad.....anyway I liked the artists that you picked, I have always had a special spot for the Go Betweens, and I was only reminded of them last night as I watched the secret life of us and they played a snippet of the streets of your town- how many great songs did McLenan and Forster write????? and Machine Gun Fellatio are probably my pick along with the Avalanches as Aussie artists to produce new and unique music in the last year or so.....oh and Kieren on a side note who is that that is featured in your avatar??????:)

I'm in love with... I'm in love with... I'm in love with a girl called Amanda!

henry_tn.jpg

Oz's very own mullett boy :lol:[

Last edited:
Truly said:

You met Darren!!!!!!! You are too lucky Mango! I'd love to meet him. He comes accross as the sweetest guy in the world :love:

I think I remember you from somewhere too - maybe ASG. I remember someone had the word mango in their name. I'm guessing it was probably you.

Yeah, he was so sweet. He had the cutest accent up close and he was taller then I expected! I am 5'7" or 5'8" and he still looked tall to me. I met him on June 15th at Lizard Fair in Midland, Michigan. One of my friends Janet got me backstage. She was so nice to do that for me. I posted at ASG a loooonng time ago. But Remco, the board owner or whatever made me mad and I left. I post at darrenhayes.com message board too. Best place to get news on Darren. It sucks compared to here on the features. but the people are nice. And not that much different then the people here! So we should be nice to them!

Back
Top Bottom