Australian Cricket Team Appreciation Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #31
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 2,710
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius


Key points:

McGrath bowled in an era with two distinct "bunny" teams Zimbabwe & Bangladesh.

While the overs are similar (666.666 overs difference funnily enough) McGrath has had acess to at least 25 more new balls if not 45-50 more... which is a significant advantage.

Furthermore comparing Hadlee's 9fer against Australia away and McGraths bowling against a second string Pakistain on a dangerous WACA pitch is not exactly a fair comparison. I think you will be hardpressed to find anyone who will agree that McGraths bowling surpassed Hadlee's.

Hadlee was a considerabley better batsmen.

Hadlee was a considerabley better feildsmen.

Hadlee did have good bowling team mates John Bracewell etc.
Ah, so now Zimbabwe is a bunny team. Who recently played them? Hmm, hmm and who was crowing about winning two tests?

Would have to go back and look at number of new balls, but personally, I wonder about the advantage of the new ball on some pitches and since when has the WACA been a dangerous pitch?
__________________

__________________
Tania is offline  
Old 08-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #32
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 05:27 PM
England are better than Australia and NZ.

And that doesn't just apply to Cricket.
__________________

__________________
Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 08-22-2005, 10:53 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the late 70s, early 80's...
Posts: 8,465
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tania


Ah, so now Zimbabwe is a bunny team. Who recently played them? Hmm, hmm and who was crowing about winning two tests?

Would have to go back and look at number of new balls, but personally, I wonder about the advantage of the new ball on some pitches and since when has the WACA been a dangerous pitch?
Axver & I. Again, I would much rather defeat Zimbabwe than lose to England (*cough* or Bangladesh *cough*).

The WACA has always been notorious for its bounce and favour to faster bowlers... quality innings their have always been held in high regard.
__________________
timothius is offline  
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the late 70s, early 80's...
Posts: 8,465
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
England are better than Australia and NZ.

And that doesn't just apply to Cricket.
I'm happy to be reasonable and meet you in the middle on this one.
__________________
timothius is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #35
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius


The WACA has always been notorious for its bounce and favour to faster bowlers... quality innings their have always been held in high regard.
No shit. Its always been a bowlers wicket. Why would Tania dispute this?
__________________
Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #36
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 2,710
Local Time: 06:27 PM
I never said it wasn't a bowlers wicket, Palace. I was disputing the idea that it was a dangerous wicket.

For all out pace it is a great wicket to play on, just like other grounds are fantastic for spin or great for batting. Every wicket can become "dangerous" as it gets older and starts to break up, but then that is all part of the game isn't it?

England's current team is probably the best team that they have had in a very long time but I still think that they don't quite have the killer instinct and that is why the last two tests have been so close.
__________________
Tania is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #37
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tania
I never said it wasn't a bowlers wicket, Palace. I was disputing the idea that it was a dangerous wicket.

For all out pace it is a great wicket to play on, just like other grounds are fantastic for spin or great for batting. Every wicket can become "dangerous" as it gets older and starts to break up, but then that is all part of the game isn't it?

England's current team is probably the best team that they have had in a very long time but I still think that they don't quite have the killer instinct and that is why the last two tests have been so close.
Well in my eyes a wicket that is perfect for bowlers is inherently a dangerous wicket.

And this killer instinct cathphrase I see banded about these days is a fad. The reason the matches have been so close is because it is the two best teams in the world.
__________________
Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 AM   #38
Acrobat
 
reptile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: australia
Posts: 474
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Taits in for Dizzy, 'bout time.
ONe Adelaide boy makes way for another one
__________________
reptile is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #39
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 2,710
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero


Well in my eyes a wicket that is perfect for bowlers is inherently a dangerous wicket.

And this killer instinct cathphrase I see banded about these days is a fad. The reason the matches have been so close is because it is the two best teams in the world.


So does that mean that a wicket that is good for spin bowling should be considered dangerous? Or would one, such as Adelaide, be considered "safe" because it is more suited to batting. I think the whole "dangerous" thing is a bit of a laugh really considering the damage one can do/have done during other sports.

Watching the Ashes series there have been a number of occasions where I believe that England have become very conservative with their field placings when they had the upper hand. This has allowed Australia back into the game and then it is on for one and all.

As an aside, something that has always made me wonder was the whole Hanse Cronje match fixing thing. I don't know all the details but I wondered how that could have been implemented without other cricketers/support staff etc knowing something. I always thought he was a good cricketer, so I guess it goes to show how much I know.
__________________
Tania is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #40
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tania

So does that mean that a wicket that is good for spin bowling should be considered dangerous? Or would one, such as Adelaide, be considered "safe" because it is more suited to batting.
Yes.
__________________
Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 06:27 AM


This thread amuses me. Defensive Aussies and Pommies are running in from all over the show!

Quote:
Now THAT I can appreciate.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #42
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 2,710
Local Time: 06:27 PM
You are one sick puppy Gibson Girl

Not even I could appreciate that! :
__________________
Tania is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 07:35 PM   #43
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Isn't it time we have an Allan Border Appreciation thread? I mean, come on. What he did for this country was more in one day that Waugh did in his entire career.
THOSE were the days!!!


/old and bitter
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #44
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 05:27 PM
NO AB appreciation, he ginger and we all know ginger = evil.
__________________
Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tania
You are one sick puppy Gibson Girl

Not even I could appreciate that! :
I appreciate strange things. OMGSHANEWARNEILOVEYOU.
__________________

__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com