Australian Cricket Team Appreciation Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

Key points:

McGrath bowled in an era with two distinct "bunny" teams Zimbabwe & Bangladesh.

While the overs are similar (666.666 overs difference funnily enough) McGrath has had acess to at least 25 more new balls if not 45-50 more... which is a significant advantage.

Furthermore comparing Hadlee's 9fer against Australia away and McGraths bowling against a second string Pakistain on a dangerous WACA pitch is not exactly a fair comparison. I think you will be hardpressed to find anyone who will agree that McGraths bowling surpassed Hadlee's.

Hadlee was a considerabley better batsmen.

Hadlee was a considerabley better feildsmen.

Hadlee did have good bowling team mates John Bracewell etc.
Ah, so now Zimbabwe is a bunny team. Who recently played them? Hmm, hmm and who was crowing about winning two tests?

Would have to go back and look at number of new balls, but personally, I wonder about the advantage of the new ball on some pitches and since when has the WACA been a dangerous pitch?

Old 08-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #32
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 05:27 PM
England are better than Australia and NZ.

And that doesn't just apply to Cricket.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:53 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tania

Ah, so now Zimbabwe is a bunny team. Who recently played them? Hmm, hmm and who was crowing about winning two tests?

Would have to go back and look at number of new balls, but personally, I wonder about the advantage of the new ball on some pitches and since when has the WACA been a dangerous pitch?
Axver & I. Again, I would much rather defeat Zimbabwe than lose to England (*cough* or Bangladesh *cough*).

The WACA has always been notorious for its bounce and favour to faster bowlers... quality innings their have always been held in high regard.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
England are better than Australia and NZ.

And that doesn't just apply to Cricket.
I'm happy to be reasonable and meet you in the middle on this one.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #35
Refugee

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

The WACA has always been notorious for its bounce and favour to faster bowlers... quality innings their have always been held in high regard.
No shit. Its always been a bowlers wicket. Why would Tania dispute this?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #36
New Yorker

I never said it wasn't a bowlers wicket, Palace. I was disputing the idea that it was a dangerous wicket.

For all out pace it is a great wicket to play on, just like other grounds are fantastic for spin or great for batting. Every wicket can become "dangerous" as it gets older and starts to break up, but then that is all part of the game isn't it?

England's current team is probably the best team that they have had in a very long time but I still think that they don't quite have the killer instinct and that is why the last two tests have been so close.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #37
Refugee

Quote:
I never said it wasn't a bowlers wicket, Palace. I was disputing the idea that it was a dangerous wicket.

For all out pace it is a great wicket to play on, just like other grounds are fantastic for spin or great for batting. Every wicket can become "dangerous" as it gets older and starts to break up, but then that is all part of the game isn't it?

England's current team is probably the best team that they have had in a very long time but I still think that they don't quite have the killer instinct and that is why the last two tests have been so close.
Well in my eyes a wicket that is perfect for bowlers is inherently a dangerous wicket.

And this killer instinct cathphrase I see banded about these days is a fad. The reason the matches have been so close is because it is the two best teams in the world.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 AM   #38
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Taits in for Dizzy, 'bout time.
ONe Adelaide boy makes way for another one
Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #39
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero

Well in my eyes a wicket that is perfect for bowlers is inherently a dangerous wicket.

And this killer instinct cathphrase I see banded about these days is a fad. The reason the matches have been so close is because it is the two best teams in the world.

So does that mean that a wicket that is good for spin bowling should be considered dangerous? Or would one, such as Adelaide, be considered "safe" because it is more suited to batting. I think the whole "dangerous" thing is a bit of a laugh really considering the damage one can do/have done during other sports.

Watching the Ashes series there have been a number of occasions where I believe that England have become very conservative with their field placings when they had the upper hand. This has allowed Australia back into the game and then it is on for one and all.

As an aside, something that has always made me wonder was the whole Hanse Cronje match fixing thing. I don't know all the details but I wondered how that could have been implemented without other cricketers/support staff etc knowing something. I always thought he was a good cricketer, so I guess it goes to show how much I know.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #40
Refugee

Quote:

So does that mean that a wicket that is good for spin bowling should be considered dangerous? Or would one, such as Adelaide, be considered "safe" because it is more suited to batting.
Yes.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:27 AM

This thread amuses me. Defensive Aussies and Pommies are running in from all over the show!

Quote:
Now THAT I can appreciate.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #42
New Yorker

You are one sick puppy Gibson Girl

Not even I could appreciate that! :
Old 08-23-2005, 07:35 PM   #43
Jesus Online

Isn't it time we have an Allan Border Appreciation thread? I mean, come on. What he did for this country was more in one day that Waugh did in his entire career.
THOSE were the days!!!

/old and bitter
Old 08-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #44
Refugee

NO AB appreciation, he ginger and we all know ginger = evil.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:
You are one sick puppy Gibson Girl

Not even I could appreciate that! :
I appreciate strange things. OMGSHANEWARNEILOVEYOU.