Australia/Windies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleazer

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Okay, we've got an England v Pakistan thread and a New Zealand hari-kari thread, but since I'm a proud resident of the Western Hemisphere, I've always been a little partial to the West Indies.

They've been down for the past few years, for the most part. But every now and then I see some really promising players for them, and I have to think that a real turnaround is possible. I'm certain that they'd like to build the team with an eye towards the 2007 World Cup.

But anyways, they're in Australia right now, playing the top team in the world, and unfortunately Australia are probably determined to solidify their #1 ranking, after the Ashes setback. Do the West Indies have a chance? Or are they guaranteed to get swept in both tests and ODIs?

The first test started a few hours ago, and after an early wicket, it looked like Ponting and Hayden were on their way to putting up a big partnership.

But Hayden fell shortly after lunch, so now Clarke is in there with Ponting.

Whoa, Clarke didn't last long at all.

Australia are currently at 109/3, and the West Indies certainly haven't been eliminated yet! :D

yertle-the-turtle said:
Lara is ridiculously off-form; I'm hoping he rediscovers his magic touch in this series.

I wonder if he'll improve on his average of 1 2/3 runs a game that he set for the World XI. :|

yertle-the-turtle said:
Lara is ridiculously off-form; I'm hoping he rediscovers his magic touch in this series.
Hope all you want, but I'm counting on folks like Gayle, Chanderpaul, and Ramdin to come through instead.

That said, it would be nice if Brian started batting again.

Interesting First Day....game seems pretty Even...prehaps the Windies just ahead.

Will have to see how they go with the bat though.

In other news, Sri Lanka is all out for 261. Will this be yet another victory for India? What happened to that powerful Sri Lankan team?

bono_man2002 said:
Will have to see how they go with the bat though.
That's the big question. Suffice it to say, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Goal number one: avoid the follow-on :laugh:

Australia finished the day at 340/7. Until the Windies prove otherwise, I'd say that the Aussies are in the driver's seat.

cleazer said:
That's the big question. Suffice it to say, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Goal number one: avoid the follow-on :laugh:

I thought they were a good chance if they cleaned up the last few wickets by tonight, but that didnt happen.

Yeah, lets hope they do get by the follow on.

Australia got all the way to 435.

A few hundred from Lara or Gayle would really help right about now.

Lara will be lucky to score a few, let alone a few hundred. :|

ooh, there's a 6 for Lara

Would I be jinxing him if I said that maybe he's finally come to play today?

Windies are currently at 114/2. If Smith and Lara can keep this partnership going for another 50 or 100, that would bode well for the rest of this test.

cleazer said:
Australia finished the day at 340/7. Until the Windies prove otherwise, I'd say that the Aussies are in the driver's seat.

i totally agree, but that said. it is the Australian who have everything to lose, and the Windies have nothing to lose but everything to prove

i hate to say, even with 30 i don’t think Lara is in form at all.... especially after his appalling performance in the world XI

in the end, go the Aussies. even with the few fresh faces i think the aussies will dominate, but there may be a turn of luck, so you cant dismiss the West Indies all together.

Currently 144/3. In the past 31 overs, West Indies have scored 68 runs. At least they're not dropping like flies. I don't know if they're playing for a draw or not, but at least they seem to be showing some patience.

As for Lara, yeah, a 30 doesn't impress me much from him. Certainly better than some of his World XI appearances though. Luckily, he's got a lot more chances to get it together down under.

182/6 at the end of day 2

Not exactly looking good here. But tomorrow's another day.

Australia leads by 430.... not looking good for the Windies....

im disapointed on Hussey's form. it was his big chance. i mean he is really good in the state comp, not so good at the international level.... oh well...

GO AU!!!

wow, this turned into a real blowout

and Australia doesn't even have to declare if they don't want to

My guess is that Australia will bat for about an hour and a half or so in the morning and then declare.

The Windies should just go home now.

Really, this is disgraceful.

cleazer said:
wow, this turned into a real blowout

and Australia doesn't even have to declare if they don't want to

yeah, they may not even bat for that long.... the score is massive and im sure there worried about the rain since its been drizely. so i think there better off sending the windies in sooner rather than latter

Interesting comments from Ramdin, saying how they have a chance at winning this test thanks to their batsmen.

I think its some sort of ploy to trick Australia into batting longer, and then when the Windies bat, they'll try to hold out for the draw or hope for rain.

Lara should have retired years ago. His slump must be in about it's 10th year by now. :slant: I find this disappointing. I really like the Windies. I want them to play well. They're exciting when they play well. But I'm still living in the era when cricket was a good strong competition and we thrived on the game itself, watching countries emerge and get their acts together. It didn't matter so much, it seemed, like it does now on where they were from.

Back
Top Bottom