Australia vs Uraguay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
It's that time of the quadrant where everyone in the country turns into a ravishing soccer nut for 7 days and then ducks back into their shell. Or is it? Is it possible that Australia can knock over Uraguay and move toward the World Cup of 2006?

I'm putting my money on "yes", if they can prevent any really early goals tommorow morning. Despite being slightly better on paper, and definite favourites it will be interesting to see wether Australia can cast off the "curse" or "voodoo witchspell" which has supposedly prevented them from constructing 180 minutes of quality football once every four years. :up:

The shocking thing is... I'm almost supporting them on this one. :reject:

:lol: I think we have Buckleys. Doesn't stop me from thinking the Uraguayans are the biggest bunch of pussies ever to walk on a pitch. Well, maybe not the players, but fuck me. Can they whine anymore???? Pity they managed to organise their flights. They've only had years to organise it.
Pussies.
:tsk:

Australia needs to play much better than what they played today in Montevideo. They did not even have a shot on goal and they need much more than that to make it to a World Cup.

And the spelling is UrUguay, some people need to study some geography... :down:

U2@NYC said:
Australia needs to play much better than what they played today in Montevideo. They did not even have a shot on goal and they need much more than that to make it to a World Cup.

And the spelling is UrUguay, some people need to study some geography... :down:

Like Americans in general, and their spelling?

Angela Harlem said:

:lmao:

I set the alarm to wake up for the match. I watched most of the first half until UrUguay got their goal. I then decided I would much rather find out the result later and went back to sleep. :|

Ah, I mean no disprespect to any yanky friends and none to Uruguay, except those behind the bull which has plagued these 2 games.
:wink:

Sorry to hear you set your alarm for that, beg :lol:
:hug:

Here's hoping! So my understanding is that if we win 2-1 Uruguay still win as an away goal is worth two home goals? If so - GODDAMMIT BOYS! DEFENCE! DEFENCE!

I can't wait for New Zealand to make World Cup 2010. :drool:

For now: GO URUGUAY! KICK AUSSIE ARSE! :happy:

Angela Harlem said:

:laugh:

Oh my gosh, pink is such a lovely color! I never realized it was so perfect before! LOL OMG I played with some aluminum foil in chemistry class today! HEY, LET'S ALL GO WATCH PEARL HARBOR LATER, OKAY?!

bono_man2002 said:

:lmao:...

New Zealand and world cup in the same sentence?...I think you have Football mixed up with Rugby.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I'm just trying to remember the last time Australia last made the World Cup and the last time New Zealand made it. :happy:

Care to inform me? :wink:

timothius said:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I'm just trying to remember the last time Australia last made the World Cup and the last time New Zealand made it. :happy:

Care to inform me? :wink:

Honestly I couldnt tell you the last time either side made it. :shrug:

bono_man2002 said:

Honestly I couldnt tell you the last time either side made it. :shrug:

Australia was 1972.
New Zealand was 1984.

Both was their only time and they ended fairly convincingly in the first round! :lol:

I'm really excited about tonight, I like any game that has this amount of emotion running into it from the public. :drool:

timothius said:

Australia was 1972.
New Zealand was 1984.

Both was their only time and they ended fairly convincingly in the first round! :lol:

I'm really excited about tonight, I like any game that has this amount of emotion running into it from the public. :drool:

For real??? I'm surprised either of us made it, and so recently, to be honest. Actually, more's the point I have no idea how good your lot are at footy, but as a nation I know we cannot play at international levels. We're just not in the league. I lump most countries in our region in this category when you compare with South America, Europe, etc.

Fascinating.
:hmm:

Australia should make it regularly after this year now they have moved into Asia. They have a quality group of players playing top flight football across Europe (although many of them suffer from constant injury or shit attidudes). That base should be more than enough to see them through most years. :yes:

Australia is comfortably better than most non-South American/European nations that qualify for the Cup. The problem is, that our region wasn't competitive enough (on the field or off) to warrant automatic qualification for teams, like North America or Asia. The funny thing is while Australia is competitive enough to make the World Cup they would be totally smoked (if we suspended all geographic knowledge) and they tried to qualify for Euro2008 or the CopaAmerica. :lol:

All of Oceania should be folded into Asia, it would improve the quality of all countries. :up:

I agree all of Oceania should be folded into Asia. I reckon if managers of teams who's leagues our players end up in begin to give our guys more leeway, we'd also stand more of a chance. As it is, we cant get a cohesive team happening and part of that problem is not getting our guys back often enough or with any organisation so we can enter these comps prepared.

I'm still pissed at the way Uruguay behaved at the start of this, so I'm still just hoping we win so we can flip them the bird for their prima donna antics :lol:

NZ making the world cup will be a real possibility from 2010 on though. As long as they can better the fifth best Sth American team to get that half free entry - then bravo! However as Australia has showed - its not easy. And frankly, I reckon as the Solomon Islands showed thi year - NZ getting that point is far from a sure thing! Can you imagine Solomon Islands VS Argentina for a world cup berth? MAGIC!

Anyhow, Australia may have an easier time of it in Asia. I hope Aust wins through tonight, but methinks Uruguay will get it.

Back
Top Bottom