Australia vs Uraguay - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 PM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
cleazer when do FIFA make the draw?
Friday 9th December, at around 1930 GMT I think. The London England fans are having a draw party so that should be fun.

As for Australia there is no country more deserving of a place at the World Cup and they have every right to get exdcited about this, given the obstacles they've had to overcome (bastard, lying FIFA Presidents etc).

It's clear to identify the no-nothings about football here, if they don't realise how difficult it is to play one competitive tie every four years against credible opposition. It's a joke that Oceania don't get an automatic place, how do we expect football to improve there otherwise.

Despite the trouble he's had at Liverpool, Harry Kewel is one of the best players on the planet and should get to show his worth at the very highest level.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #77
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Excellent work Australia.

Lets hope for a reasonable draw so that they don't get knocked out straight away.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:52 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:58 PM
This is great.

This has given my 19th wind on Championship Manager as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #79
Jesus Online

Poor Uruguay. God must have been looking the other way.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #80
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC

First of all, no need to insult me. That "fuck off" was completely out of line.

Second, Australia has some of the best European-based players...

Ok, do not get carried away. I think it is great that you made it to the World Cup after all this time but Uruguay was a country with soccer tradition that won two World Cups. Therefore, I think they must feel pretty embarassed that they lost to a country with no soccer tradition like Australia.
i apologise for the fuck off (hey were all pretty excited down here!)
i still find it offensive to say they should feel embaressed. They where beaten by the better team on the day. Things change, no-one does or should dominate forever, its not good for the game.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #81
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser

Yes but Uruguay have hardly lit up the footballing world in the last 50 years have they? didn't they win their world cups in the 1920's or 30's?
Hmm, wonder when England last managed to light up the footballing world and win the World Cup ...?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-16-2005, 11:51 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Italia '90.

I saw bits and pieces of the match, and I got the exact same broadcast as in the Antipodes, but I liked the commentary. It was a bit like watching pro wrestling in the old days when there'd be a heel ('bad guy') commentator who'd cheer extensively for one guy. I feel bad for the Uruguayan people, because going out on penalties is crap and practically the whole world didn't want your country to win, but take nothing away from Australia.

Commentary was hilarious though.

"Have some class, mate! I think the coach ought to be sent to the stands!"

(before Aloisi penalty) "Are you sure? Are you sure? Come on John! Come on son! YEEES! COME ON AUSTRALIA! AAARGGHHH!!"

I have no problems with that whatsoever. Good on the Aussies.

Oh and kudos to Aloisi for doing a Flintoff and going up to Zalayeta at the end of the match to swap shirts. Classy.

And...Harry Kewell, despite being one of the best players of the night, should never ever be seen again in public on account of his awful haircut.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I loved the passion from the comms! It was just the whole "justice" "rightfully deserved" and "devine right" comments that bothered me.

That "Are You Sure" comment was hillarious. Everyone knew that was the case, but the comms just thought there was just no way Australia could be on the verge of this, they somehow were going to throw it. Thankfully they overcame and conqoured.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:20 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:58 AM
As previously stated, the draw will be on Friday, December 9. I suppose that would be Saturday morning for you kids walking around upside down all the time.

FIFA has not announced exactly how the 32 will be divided into pots yet, and in fact Blatter recently hinted that England might not be seeded. They probably won't announce the details until early December.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 AM   #85
New Yorker

^ What, we're going to have to have a Desperate and Dateless World Cup thread now as well?????

Are Aussies seen as so relaxed that noone wants to diarise nwith them anything any more? Or, does the rest of the world believe that there are so few of us they can just holler and we all come running
Old 11-17-2005, 12:51 AM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

I was watching SportsCenter yesterday and one of the Aussie guest panelists brought up the fact this is probably the high point of Australian sport this year, considering how badly the rugby has gone and how the cricket team lost the Ashes.

Me? I was waiting for the impromptu renditions of 'Waltzing Matilda'.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:07 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Some folks over on the soccer boards like to do random mock draws, just to see what types of bizarre groups we could wind up with on December 9th.

Here's a listing of how some of the Australian groups turned out:
(These are all completely meaningless, but since you Aussies have no idea what the World Cup is like, I thought I'd give you a taste of some random possibilities.)

-England, Sweden, Ecuador, Australia

-Argentina, Portugal, Costa Rica, Australia

-Spain, Sweden, Ghana, Australia

-Italy, Switzerland, USA, Australia

-England, Portugal, USA, Australia

-Spain, Czech, Australia, Trinidad

-Argentina, Australia, Japan, Serbia

-England, Australia, Angola, Sweden

-Holland, Costa Rica, Australia, Serbia

Okay, enough of that randomness. That's only picking through 2 pages of an 8 page thread. I won't bother to type any more out, since the only draw that counts is the real one. There is one final group that really caught my eye though:

-Brazil, Portugal, Netherlands, USA

YIKES! I really hope that doesn't happen. That could be the all-time toughest group in World Cup history.

Just guessing here, but I'd say the best-case scenario for Australia would probably be Spain, Poland, and Trinidad (or Saudi Arabia). Worst-case scenario would probably be the above-mentioned Brazil, Holland, and Portugal. (Though Brazil, Czech, and Sweden wouldn't be too much better.)
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 AM   #88
The Fly

Local Time: 10:58 AM
how does everyone rate the australia players?

i mean..where does kewell and viduka sit in say the worlds rankings?

what about our 2nd tear player..like neil and chipperfiled etc?

im an AFL fan..forgive my ignorance....
Old 11-17-2005, 05:01 AM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by cleazer
Sad to think that Bahrain (or T&T) will be going to the World Cup, but Uruguay will be staying home. Now THAT is a travesty. I wish FIFA would get a little more creative and adventurous with its qualifying format.
No, it's great to see Trinidad & Tobago going to the World Cup too. Quite historic.

Because not only has the coach of the Australian team (Guus Hiddink) been present at three different consecutive World Cups with three different teams (the Netherlands in 1998, South-Korea in 2002 and now Australia in 2006), but with Australia and Trinidad & Tobago going to the World Cup there'll be four Dutch coaches! There's of course the Dutch team (Marco van Basten), Australia (Guus Hiddink), Trinidad & Tobago (Leo Beenhakker) and South-Korea (Dick Advocaat).

Yay for the Dutchies!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:32 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

No, it's great to see Trinidad & Tobago going to the World Cup too. Quite historic.

Because not only has the coach of the Australian team (Guus Hiddink) been present at three different consecutive World Cups with three different teams (the Netherlands in 1998, South-Korea in 2002 and now Australia in 2006), but with Australia and Trinidad & Tobago going to the World Cup there'll be four Dutch coaches! There's of course the Dutch team (Marco van Basten), Australia (Guus Hiddink), Trinidad & Tobago (Leo Beenhakker) and South-Korea (Dick Advocaat).

Yay for the Dutchies!
It's quite obvious who's actually going to run this show in Germany isn't it?

Go Aussies!!