Australia vs Uraguay - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 07:25 AM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 08:56 PM
i think we have every reason to be biased, its because think this means so much more to australian sport than ANYTHING ELSE

a/ we havent qualified for the world cup for 31 years, i have NEVER seen us play in the world cup

b/ soccer is not australia's strong sport, even though it is said to be the most 'played' sport

i mean it was taken for granted that there was going to be football's world cup every 4 years and we arent playing in it, i never could work out why

the curse is over

and johnny warren this one is for you!

Old 11-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It's not about being biased. Hell, even I was bias toward Australia tonight. But claiming Australia had some devine right to win on penalties tonight because they "outplayed" them in the first 120mins is ridiculous.

Shwartzer

Old 11-16-2005, 07:36 AM   #63
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
I didn't mind the complete enthusiasim that they had, and I totally understood the reasons for it. I was more bothered by the comms saying things like "It will be a traversty if Australia lose" and "Justice was served" etc etc. The difference between the two teams was marginal. Australia were solid no doubt, not taking anything away, but a truly "great" performance would have seen them nail Uruguay when they were tierd in the last 20 mins of normal time.
The commentators pissed me off a lot.

But I generally hate Aussie commentators anyway.

By the way, Timo, you were slightly off with your years on when Australia and NZ made World Cups last. NZ was in 1982 and Australia in 1974.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-16-2005, 07:42 AM   #64
The Fly

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Forgive me if I sound like a troll, but:

FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH! WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! AUSTRALIA IS IN FOR 2006!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:51 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:56 AM
The World Cup is the grand daddy of all the sports trophies so well done to australia for qualifying!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:04 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
But claiming Australia had some devine right to win on penalties tonight because they "outplayed" them in the first 120mins is ridiculous.
Yeah, that game deserved to go to penalties, because they sure weren't going to settle it on the field.

Sad to think that Bahrain (or T&T) will be going to the World Cup, but Uruguay will be staying home. Now THAT is a travesty. I wish FIFA would get a little more creative and adventurous with its qualifying format.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yup, I'm sure that the Uruguayans have to feel pretty embarassed.... I mean, getting eliminated by Australia???!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #68
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC
Yup, I'm sure that the Uruguayans have to feel pretty embarassed.... I mean, getting eliminated by Australia???!!!!
Fuck off, Australia have some of the best european based players in there squad...the only reason they dont have as much success as they should is all down to geography, they never get to play together as a team.....anyway...yyyyyyyyyyyyeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and while im raving who gives a shit about the booooing i seem to recall on our previous visit to uruguay, the locals tried to kill us!!!!!

where was i...oh yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by reptile

Fuck off, Australia have some of the best european based players in there squad...the only reason they dont have as much success as they should is all down to geography, they never get to play together as a team.....anyway...yyyyyyyyyyyyeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and while im raving who gives a shit about the booooing i seem to recall on our previous visit to uruguay, the locals tried to kill us!!!!!

where was i...oh yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First of all, no need to insult me. That "fuck off" was completely out of line.

Second, Australia has some of the best European-based players...

Ok, do not get carried away. I think it is great that you made it to the World Cup after all this time but Uruguay was a country with soccer tradition that won two World Cups. Therefore, I think they must feel pretty embarassed that they lost to a country with no soccer tradition like Australia.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:47 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC

First of all, no need to insult me. That "fuck off" was completely out of line.

Second, Australia has some of the best European-based players...

Ok, do not get carried away. I think it is great that you made it to the World Cup after all this time but Uruguay was a country with soccer tradition that won two World Cups. Therefore, I think they must feel pretty embarassed that they lost to a country with no soccer tradition like Australia.
Yes but Uruguay have hardly lit up the footballing world in the last 50 years have they? didn't they win their world cups in the 1920's or 30's?

Australia have every right to be in the World Cup. Well done to them i say
Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser

Yes but Uruguay have hardly lit up the footballing world in the last 50 years have they? didn't they win their world cups in the 1920's or 30's?

Australia have every right to be in the World Cup. Well done to them i say
First one in 1930, second one in 1950.

I am not questioning the right of Australia to get into the World Cup at all. Never did.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Australia

That said I don't think they'll go far in the actual tournament; they were pretty dismal in the Confed Cup this year.

Although think about it, if Aus went to last 16 or a q-final would FIFA think about giving Oceania automatic status?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

All 32 teams are known. Now it all depends on the draw! Who will get stuck in the group with Netherlands or Czech Republic, and who will sneak into a group with Trinidad and Angola?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The commentators, remember, have been involved in this directly for decades and probably had to show considerable restraint to not flat out be 110% biased all the way through. I thought it was fun that they injected that 20% of one sided enthusiasm.

As for the booing, well Uruguay had 'played' it dirty throughout on and off the field, and think about football crowds in general around the world - this was probably a very very tame crowd compared to what some of those players would be used to, even just playing for their clubs. I did think it was incredibly disrespectful to boo through the national anthem though. Hopefully the guy singing was pulling one over the crowd and had changed the lyrics as a little in joke "Oh yellow, such a masculine colour to wear. On the way here, I ran over a fucking koala bear."

Now! Off to get fucking destroyed and booted in the first round of the World Cup!! Hooray!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

cleazer when do FIFA make the draw?