Australia LiveEarth lineup announced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ifeelnumb84

War Child
Aussie Stadium, Sydney
7/7/07
onsale May 18

Crowded House
Jack Johnson
Wolfmother
The John Butler Trio
Missy Higgins
Eskimo Joe
Sneaky Sound System
Paul Kelly
Ghostwriters
Toni Collette & the Finish
Blue King Brown

Oooh, the Crowdies. Is this a hint regarding when they'll be doing their own headlining tour down here? :hmm:

Wow - Jack Johnson AND Wolfmonther. That collision of superpowers of suck might create some kind of quantum singularity if they're not both kept in containment in separate countries.

Canadiens1160 said:
Wow - Jack Johnson AND Wolfmonther. That collision of superpowers of suck might create some kind of quantum singularity if they're not both kept in containment in separate countries.

Their presence combined with that of Missy Higgins is sure to cause some kind of cataclysmic catastrophe, that is for sure.

Axver said:

Their presence combined with that of Missy Higgins is sure to cause some kind of cataclysmic catastrophe, that is for sure.
I don't even know who Missy Higgins is but she sounds like she sucks.

Canadiens1160 said:
I don't even know who Missy Higgins is but she sounds like she sucks.

You know how much I hate Achtung Baby? I would be willing to trumpet it as the greatest masterpiece of all time that displays greater technical prowess than any Dream Theater album for the next ten years in exchange for Missy Higgins' music being banned and fired directly into the sun.

Not even mentioning Eskimo Joe or John Butler Trio? Awful line-up, but to be frank it's the sort of thing I was expecting.

Missy Higgins is pure concentrated tosh.

What happened to Kylie? What about Danniiiii? Surely they could dig up a random Minogue as we all know no Minogue=unAustralian.

Also surely since it's Sydney they could through in a Darren Hayes/Anthony Callea duet or two...

Missy Higgins is a national disgrace.

Eskimo Joe will be awesome, as will Paul Kelly and hopefully Crowded House, but it's a poor line-up.

Where's Things Of Stone And Wood? And the Australian rock scene is crying out for the reformation of Motor Ace. They have been very much missed..

Kylie's songs would be a welcome presence....

Why is it in Sydney anyway? Why Aussie Stadium of all places? Should be in Melbourne. Aside from maybe Perth, Melbourne is the most attractive, progressive and cultured city in the nation.

If you're banging your head against the wall now over how much we reward mediocrity in Australian music, just wait till the new Powderfinger album hype goes into full swing. Hand them 10,000 ARIA nominations, 500 awards, the Hottest 100 number 1, blah blah right now, all for recording another album of the same three songs they've always done.

Crowded House are worth the price alone, but a few questions...

Sneaky Sound System - Can you name one festival/event/tour support that they have not been a part of in the last 18 months?

Wolfmother - Do Tenacious D get credit for Minds Eye in the liner notes?

Jack Johnson and Missy Higgins - If they made babies, and the baby made music, would it be only one note?

I'd hate to go to a Powderfinger concert. Vertigo x2 was bad enough. Generic Powderfinger Song x20 would be torture.

The Crowdies damn well better be the headliner. No-one else named even remotely deserves to be billed above them.

Who the hell are Sneaky Sound System? I've honestly never heard of them. Helps that I never turn on the radio though. And, well, I think the best way to describe Wolfmother is "Led Zeppelin raping Queen".

Axver said:

Who the hell are Sneaky Sound System? I've honestly never heard of them. Helps that I never turn on the radio though.

Had some "hit" called 'Pictures' a few months back. Not much to like.

Anyone heard the new Thirsty Merc single? i think Aussie music has hit the lowest of lows....

Powderfinger are overated, yet they're honest fellas just doing what they wanna do....

If all the awards and the acclaim got handed to me on a plate, I'd take it....

Sneaky Sound System are a Bondi based dance/electronic/pop outfit. You would know their songs without realising, used a lot in promos on tv and stuff and could easily be confused with actual tv commercial music. Fairly generic catchy stuff. They're probably better known in Sydney having been around on the club/party circuit for a while. Their lead man, Damon Downey (sp) is a Grade A wanker. A tosser to judge all other tossers by. A tool for the ages. You've actually seen one of their singers live - she was on of Kanyes backup singers on the Vertigo Tour and impressed enough that she's on his next album. Don't search for any further information or samples, you'd hate them.

Can I just say that Bernard Fanning is regarded within many music insider circles as an absolute arsehole as well. That 'everyman' schtick is just that. He is regarded as one of the singular most demanding and arrogant people in Australian music, which you may say comes with the territory when you are the frontman of Australias Biggest Band When Silverchair Are On A Break, but he's apparently been like that since day zero. As the singer from another well known Australian band said: "What kind of rock star drives a fucking Saab? Says a lot, no?"

Thanks for that insight Earnie. As I got cut off by the same Saab TWICE this morning coming to work, I'm not partial to Saab drivers...

And God yes, what a shit line up apart the from the House. Where's You Am I? They're on every festival bill, though they might be trying to avoid this particular pile of crap (and mate, why didn't Tim finish Missy off when he had the chance, why is she still around :scream:

edit: I like Paul Kelly, I missed his name first time round

Axver said:
inexchange for Missy Higgins' music being banned and fired directly into the sun.

Any you know this because?....you never listen to the radio? :wink: Commercial radio really kills most of her singles. But I like most of her new album.

I would almost go to see Crowded House, and If Ms Blasko is added to this list of artists playing.

The $99 ticket that includes transport...I don't suppose I could come from Victoria from $99? :wink:

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:
\As the singer from another well known Australian band said: "What kind of rock star drives a fucking Saab? Says a lot, no?"

Umm... what's so objectionable about Saab? I don't drive one, I'm just curious.

I quite like Powderfinger, can't say I care whether Bernard Fanning is a nice guy or not. I don't have to marry him, :)

Earnie Shavers said:
Sneaky Sound System are a Bondi based dance/electronic/pop outfit. You would know their songs without realising, used a lot in promos on tv and stuff and could easily be confused with actual tv commercial music. Fairly generic catchy stuff.

Ha. If your music can blend in with generic TV ad music, you're pretty doomed as a creative force.

intedomine said:
Anyone heard the new Thirsty Merc single? i think Aussie music has hit the lowest of lows....

Haven't heard it, but can Aussie music really get much worse? I mean, geez, it's been dead and buried pretty much since Kylie Minogue released Locomotion. This country isn't exactly overflowing with musical goodness, either presently or historically. Come on, pub rock? The Minogues? Savage fucking Garden?

bono_man2002 said:
Any you know this because?....you never listen to the radio? :wink:

Because I get subjected to OTHER people playing the radio, e.g. when I go to the shops or someone gives me a ride somewhere.

Axver said:
Because I get subjected to OTHER people playing the radio, e.g. when I go to the shops or someone gives me a ride somewhere.

Ah! I've even converted work to be on Triple J. Yeah they play a lot of rubbish, but you rarely hear the same song twice in a day.

COBL_04 said:
Why is there so much hate towards Aussie artists? Missy Higgins is great I reckon.
I think you misspelled that, it should be "Missy Higgins grates" :D

Nuh, to each their own, as long as she dont' come anywhere near me :mad:

Haha, thought of two more terrible ones: Pete Murray & Jet.

Australia does produce some stellar stuff though. Relatively large/well known groups like Augie March and the Avalanches - there are quite a few - are up with the best of them.

The other good thing about the Australian music scene is that you don't have to be boxed in just one of two or three genres to stand a chance. Love them or loathe them, an act like the John Butler Trio would never in a million years hit number one (and they did so easily) in the US or UK. That really is a credit to the unique reach and success of Triple J more than anything else, but it's still something good.

What, I think, most people in this thread are saying they don't like is the dominance of the mediocre here. Varying degrees of talent, you can't deny some are talented songwriters, but overall fairly generic, bland music, and the same stuff over and over and over year after year, where you are getting the feeling they are getting a serious inflation of status and respect simply because they are Australian.

I think we'd all love something truly brilliant to come from here, for the next Arcade Fire to be from Sydney or Perth or wherever, not from North America or the UK. Probably the closest thing we've had would be the Avalanches, whose Since I Left You album actually shook their genre and has massive, real, respect within it right around the world, but unfortunately that's a pretty niche genre. Before them? Anyone? When was the last one?

There's a reason why Powderfinger, for all their size here, have never cracked it overseas: there are approx 15,236 bands doing the same middle of the road rock in any mid-western US state, and it's all at about the same level of dullness. I have no doubt that Australia could produce act after act of decent pop-rock that either reaches the heights of Powderfinger here, or are just unique and new enough, and packaged so brilliantly, that it goes global like INXS, but something that gains a collective "Woah!"?

There's no reason why we can't produce a talent like that. It's certainly got nothing to do with population - look at just individual cities like New York or London who produce more new unique, creative, brilliant musical acts in a year than this whole country does in a decade - or more. I think it's more to do with how talent is nutured and communicated. Once you are given the leg up, you're running - eg John Butler Trio as an example of a left field genre hitting the top, and he can thank Ben Harper more than anyone for the opportunity - but it's practicaly impossible to get that leg up. That's the problem.

I mourn the fact Human Nature were overlooked.

Surely their version of 'Dancing In The Streets' would be the perfect opener as "dancing" in the streets would make it harder for cars to use the streets - thus cutting a huge amount of our carbon emissions.

THINK PEOPLE!

Also this would have been the perfect place for the world's longest awaited reunion - Savage Garden.

Earnie Shavers said:
Haha, thought of two more terrible ones: Pete Murray & Jet.

Australia does produce some stellar stuff though. Relatively large/well known groups like Augie March and the Avalanches - there are quite a few - are up with the best of them.

Oh I'm so Over Jet!, Pete Murray I find boring anyway. I used to think Jet were ok, but now I get bored listening to them!

Same with Augie March...so much hype about them, and they have the one decent song that doesn't put me to sleep. At least thats in my case.

I hope little birdy are added to this list also.

Augie March and Little Birdy are pointless....

Motor Ace were the kings...

Missy Higgins is just a silver-spooner...

Pete Murray does what he does...

Savage Garden were the best of their kind...

Kylie is a legend....

thatsnotmypuppy said:
I mourn the fact Human Nature were overlooked.

Surely their version of 'Dancing In The Streets' would be the perfect opener as "dancing" in the streets would make it harder for cars to use the streets - thus cutting a huge amount of our carbon emissions.

THINK PEOPLE!

Also this would have been the perfect place for the world's longest awaited reunion - Savage Garden.
Truly, you are a prophet :heart:

Back
Top Bottom