Australia LiveEarth lineup announced - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2007, 03:33 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
inexchange for Missy Higgins' music being banned and fired directly into the sun.
Any you know this because?....you never listen to the radio? Commercial radio really kills most of her singles. But I like most of her new album.

I would almost go to see Crowded House, and If Ms Blasko is added to this list of artists playing.

The $99 ticket that includes transport...I don't suppose I could come from Victoria from $99?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
\As the singer from another well known Australian band said: "What kind of rock star drives a fucking Saab? Says a lot, no?"
Umm... what's so objectionable about Saab? I don't drive one, I'm just curious.

I quite like Powderfinger, can't say I care whether Bernard Fanning is a nice guy or not. I don't have to marry him,

Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #18
45:33

Why is there so much hate towards Aussie artists? Missy Higgins is great I reckon.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:05 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Missy Higgins is great I reckon.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:30 AM   #20
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Sneaky Sound System are a Bondi based dance/electronic/pop outfit. You would know their songs without realising, used a lot in promos on tv and stuff and could easily be confused with actual tv commercial music. Fairly generic catchy stuff.
Ha. If your music can blend in with generic TV ad music, you're pretty doomed as a creative force.

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Anyone heard the new Thirsty Merc single? i think Aussie music has hit the lowest of lows....
Haven't heard it, but can Aussie music really get much worse? I mean, geez, it's been dead and buried pretty much since Kylie Minogue released Locomotion. This country isn't exactly overflowing with musical goodness, either presently or historically. Come on, pub rock? The Minogues? Savage fucking Garden?

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002
Any you know this because?....you never listen to the radio?
Because I get subjected to OTHER people playing the radio, e.g. when I go to the shops or someone gives me a ride somewhere.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Because I get subjected to OTHER people playing the radio, e.g. when I go to the shops or someone gives me a ride somewhere.
Ah! I've even converted work to be on Triple J. Yeah they play a lot of rubbish, but you rarely hear the same song twice in a day.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002

Scar was a great song.

And yeah Aussie music isn't too great today. But think back to the 70's and 80's, we would have quite easily rivalled any other country for best music.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Why is there so much hate towards Aussie artists? Missy Higgins is great I reckon.
I think you misspelled that, it should be "Missy Higgins grates"

Nuh, to each their own, as long as she dont' come anywhere near me
Old 05-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Haha, thought of two more terrible ones: Pete Murray & Jet.

Australia does produce some stellar stuff though. Relatively large/well known groups like Augie March and the Avalanches - there are quite a few - are up with the best of them.

The other good thing about the Australian music scene is that you don't have to be boxed in just one of two or three genres to stand a chance. Love them or loathe them, an act like the John Butler Trio would never in a million years hit number one (and they did so easily) in the US or UK. That really is a credit to the unique reach and success of Triple J more than anything else, but it's still something good.

What, I think, most people in this thread are saying they don't like is the dominance of the mediocre here. Varying degrees of talent, you can't deny some are talented songwriters, but overall fairly generic, bland music, and the same stuff over and over and over year after year, where you are getting the feeling they are getting a serious inflation of status and respect simply because they are Australian.

I think we'd all love something truly brilliant to come from here, for the next Arcade Fire to be from Sydney or Perth or wherever, not from North America or the UK. Probably the closest thing we've had would be the Avalanches, whose Since I Left You album actually shook their genre and has massive, real, respect within it right around the world, but unfortunately that's a pretty niche genre. Before them? Anyone? When was the last one?

There's a reason why Powderfinger, for all their size here, have never cracked it overseas: there are approx 15,236 bands doing the same middle of the road rock in any mid-western US state, and it's all at about the same level of dullness. I have no doubt that Australia could produce act after act of decent pop-rock that either reaches the heights of Powderfinger here, or are just unique and new enough, and packaged so brilliantly, that it goes global like INXS, but something that gains a collective "Woah!"?

There's no reason why we can't produce a talent like that. It's certainly got nothing to do with population - look at just individual cities like New York or London who produce more new unique, creative, brilliant musical acts in a year than this whole country does in a decade - or more. I think it's more to do with how talent is nutured and communicated. Once you are given the leg up, you're running - eg John Butler Trio as an example of a left field genre hitting the top, and he can thank Ben Harper more than anyone for the opportunity - but it's practicaly impossible to get that leg up. That's the problem.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 02:50 AM
I mourn the fact Human Nature were overlooked.

Surely their version of 'Dancing In The Streets' would be the perfect opener as "dancing" in the streets would make it harder for cars to use the streets - thus cutting a huge amount of our carbon emissions.

THINK PEOPLE!

Also this would have been the perfect place for the world's longest awaited reunion - Savage Garden.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Haha, thought of two more terrible ones: Pete Murray & Jet.

Australia does produce some stellar stuff though. Relatively large/well known groups like Augie March and the Avalanches - there are quite a few - are up with the best of them.
Oh I'm so Over Jet!, Pete Murray I find boring anyway. I used to think Jet were ok, but now I get bored listening to them!

Same with Augie March...so much hype about them, and they have the one decent song that doesn't put me to sleep. At least thats in my case.

I hope little birdy are added to this list also.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Augie March and Little Birdy are pointless....

Motor Ace were the kings...

Missy Higgins is just a silver-spooner...

Pete Murray does what he does...

Savage Garden were the best of their kind...

Kylie is a legend....
Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thatsnotmypuppy
I mourn the fact Human Nature were overlooked.

Surely their version of 'Dancing In The Streets' would be the perfect opener as "dancing" in the streets would make it harder for cars to use the streets - thus cutting a huge amount of our carbon emissions.

THINK PEOPLE!

Also this would have been the perfect place for the world's longest awaited reunion - Savage Garden.
Truly, you are a prophet
Old 05-11-2007, 04:44 AM   #29

Savage Garden wouldn't have reformed anyway. They have both truly moved on.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Toni Collette has a band?