Australia in South Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The return leg

south african fans plan to be as parochial as possible to give the australians a hostile reception

australians will have: NONE OF IT AT ALL

the one day series is easy, youre talking about the australian cricket team here - reliable, never gives a chance

and even though there wil be plenty of runs scored and plenty of wickets taken with plenty of batsmen scoring low totals, australia should win the test series 2-0

hussey is arguably the greatest batsman australia has ever produced since bradman, if not better

andrew symonds is a greater player than viv richards

The more I think about it the more I think Twenty20 is really awesome, especially after the recent one.

As long as they don't keep shortening the overs. The fear of course is in the next thirty years they may just play French cricket with two people per side but, let's face it, Twenty20 is great for television, rewards exciting hitting, and should provide fantastic entertainment for families and the like.

Wow, CrashedCarDriver, you've really outdone yourself here! :happy:

CrashedCarDriver said:
the one day series is easy, youre talking about the australian cricket team here - reliable, never gives a chance

Funny, I seem to remember some losses lately ... and what about losing to BANGLADESH last year? Even New Zealand hasn't lost to Bangladesh!

and even though there wil be plenty of runs scored and plenty of wickets taken with plenty of batsmen scoring low totals, australia should win the test series 2-0

Looks like someone's ignoring the fact they're playing in South Africa. That's ALWAYS a tough ask.

hussey is arguably the greatest batsman australia has ever produced since bradman, if not better

It is beyond premature to make this claim. It is like a woman giving birth to a baby before she's even impregnated.

andrew symonds is a greater player than viv richards

What an utterly preposterous claim.

Can you actually cite any rational data to back up your claims about Hussey or Symonds? They're good players, no doubt, but your claims are wildly extreme.

Re: Re: Australia in South Africa

Axver said:
Wow, CrashedCarDriver, you've really outdone yourself here! :happy:

Funny, I seem to remember some losses lately ... and what about losing to BANGLADESH last year? Even New Zealand hasn't lost to Bangladesh!

[/B]

Bangladesh can beat anyone on a good day (NZ included :wink:), and the aussies obvoiusly didnt, as they say in the sporting world "give them respect they desrve"

We all knew (most of us) that this series WAS NOT going to be a white-wash.
Firstly without McGrath that somewhat damages our bowling attack, Lee's good, he's fast, but can also be expensive.

Injuries arent doing us any favours, but thats no excuse...

Re: Re: Re: Australia in South Africa

bono_man2002 said:

Bangladesh can beat anyone on a good day (NZ included :wink:)

I'd like to see them try.

and the aussies obvoiusly didnt, as they say in the sporting world "give them respect they desrve"

Ahh, famous Aussie sporting arrogance.

Lee's good, he's fast, but can also be expensive.

I've actually come to like Lee a bit more than I used to. I originally thought he was all speed, no skill, and that his main weapon was simply trying to inspire a bit of fear into the batter rather than outsmarting him. But he seems to have worked on his skills and I don't feel justified in dismissing him as a bit of a hack any more.

How very amusing this all is! My favourite bit:

youre talking about the australian cricket team here - reliable, never gives a chance

Well maybe it is. Ntini gets his third wicket, the match is five overs old, Martyn has scored 4 out of Australia's 5 runs but now he's gone, and the run rate is below 1.

the rockin edge said:
:ohmy: 40-5 after 19 overs

:shocked: Seriously?!

Wait. I've just checked BBC Sport live. Australia 74 for 8 after 29 overs.

I'm really trying not to laugh here but :lmao: Today must be a great day if you're a Kiwi!

South Africa beat Australia by 196 runs:

South Africa
289 for 7 (50.0 overs)

Australia
93 all out (34.3 overs)

:lmao: :lmao:

i feel the need to quote this:
CrashedCarDriver said:

:eeklaugh:

SA lead the one day series 2-0

Re: Re: Australia in South Africa

the rockin edge said:
South Africa beat Australia by 196 runs:

South Africa
289 for 7 (50.0 overs)

Australia
93 all out (34.3 overs)

Sorry, make that: Today must be a fantastic day to be a Kiwi! :lmao:

I'm sorry CrashedCarDriver, it's just refreshing to be English and be able to take the p*ss outta the Aussie team. Usually the boot is on the other foot!

TheQuiet1 said:

This is INCREDIBLE! :happy: :combust:

:lmao: Sucks for Australia! :lmao:

TheQuiet1 said:

I have no idea why. It's not like Australia are New Zealand. Some of this Aussie-bashing that goes on on this board is frankly ridiculous, although CrashedCarDriver's idiotic comments don't help.

Fair play to South Africa though. Ntini took 6-22, and he didn't even finish all his overs. Amazing.

the rockin edge said:

when your biggest rival loses hopelessly it's always nice:drool:

Very nice. :dancing: Even nicer when it's your own country that does it.

South Africans, Kiwis and Brits unite in the pointing and laughing!

I'm just about as entitled to point at laugh at New Zealand for losing their last ODI against one of the crappiest West Indies sides you may ever see. Oh, but wait, no one wants to talk about New Zealand here, they just want to bash Australia.

Oh, and don't give me all that jazz about how the game doesn't matter. Half this board was crowing about the Black Caps' win in the dead rubber during the last Chappell-Hadlee series.

I'm sorry if I come off as an Australia fan because I'm not (my country doesn't play Test or ODI cricket so I'm technically neutral), but I just find it completely and utterly ridiculous the amount of Australia-bashing that goes on on this board.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I'm just about as entitled to point at laugh at New Zealand for losing their last ODI against one of the crappiest West Indies sides you may ever see. Oh, but wait, no one wants to talk about New Zealand here, they just want to bash Australia.

Oh, and don't give me all that jazz about how the game doesn't matter. Half this board was crowing about the Black Caps' win in the dead rubber during the last Chappell-Hadlee series.

I'm sorry if I come off as an Australia fan because I'm not (my country doesn't play Test or ODI cricket so I'm technically neutral), but I just find it completely and utterly ridiculous the amount of Australia-bashing that goes on on this board.

We're not all New Zealanders, you know. This animosity towards Australia's sporting teams becomes instilled at a very young age. It's passed on from generation to generation, particularly in South Africa. My memories of watching cricket matches with my family members went along the lines of "pass the biltong, 'n bliksem die Aussies." If you weren't born into that, of course you won't understand it. I'm not saying it's necessarily right, but it's part of the game for many of us.

Kom, Proteas, gaan moer die Aussies!

I just think people ought to be more concerned with their own countries than how Australia's doing. I appreciate that watching your rival lose is fantastic (I get that in football a lot, which will always remain my favourite sport) but nothing ever comes close to the feeling when your team wins. And I know your team won yesterday, but the messages I keep getting are not 'South Africa won' but 'Australia lost'. Oh well, I'm just a lone voice in this, I think. Maybe there's a cultural gap or something. Carry on slagging off the Australians.

yertle-the-turtle said:

Anything that I've said I've only meant as light hearted teasing if its come across as anything like as strong as 'Aussie-bashing' then I apologise.

You're right about it being mainly "Haha. Australia lost" rather than "Well done South Africa won" so what actually happened in this Test? Was it superb play by South Africa or crap play by Australia or a mixture of both?

Frankly, I've seen very few unjustified comments about Australia, and even the more insulting comments have some truth in them.

Massive :up: to South Africa. Now if only someone could beat Australia and the USA at the same time ...! :drool:

when the #1 ranked team in the world gets bowled out for less than 100 you're bound to get making fun/joking responses.

that said, great bowling by Ntini for South Africa :up:

and as far as being more intersted in Australia losing then my team winning, i can assure you that if England manage to win this test in India i will be far happier than when i see the Aussies lose :wink:

Axver said:
Now if only someone could beat Australia and the USA at the same time ...! :drool:

beat them both at cricket? surely beating the USA at cricket is pretty easy:wink:

the rockin edge said:
beat them both at cricket? surely beating the USA at cricket is pretty easy:wink:

It's not hard to beat the USA in cricket, and you could beat the USA and Australia in separate games of cricket, but to beat both of them at exactly the same time?

"Today, New Zealand defeated both Australia and the USA ..." :drool:

Axver said:

It's not hard to beat the USA in cricket, and you could beat the USA and Australia in separate games of cricket, but to beat both of them at exactly the same time?

"Today, New Zealand defeated both Australia and the USA ..." :drool:

:lol: oh i see, that would be tricky :hmm:

how about New Zealand defeated Australia, while the New Zealand A team beat the USA:wink:

Back
Top Bottom