Australia in South Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the rockin edge said:
thanks yertle :up:

i never said you weren't interested in the quality of cricket, but are you telling me you enjoyed losing to SA like that?

there you go! winning and losing again. it isn't always about that. seriously. a great cricket game is as exciting as watching a close race or an exciting footy match. it's the sport, not winning or losing.

i dont know how else to explain it. it seems this belief exists only over here, NOT that all australians are brilliant good sports about losing (no one likes it) but we are interested more in how either team get there. and alternatively some of us are competitive and of course couldn't care less about the competition and just want to win. now you can call this stereotyping, but it's become more noticable in this forum for example, how everyone loves to jump on our backs and have a go when we lose. the gloaters come out in force. it doesn't seem entirely friendly to me. it seems as though there's this division in what is important. not saying that the rest of the world doesn't care about the quality or how the game is won, either. it's just i dont see australians on the whole going on and on when we lose by bashing the other team. some do it, yes, but not primarily. i dont see us gloating and down playing everyone else when we win, but some do and the media might.

this isn't specifically addressing anyone on here either.

Angela Harlem said:

there you go! winning and losing again. it isn't always about that. seriously. a great cricket game is as exciting as watching a close race or an exciting footy match. it's the sport, not winning or losing.

The thing is with this Australian Cricket Team that is exactly what it is about. Their entire attidude is that of win at all costs, which is sweet, until they start bending, manipulating and then flagrantly breaking rules, laws and the spirit of the game - which happens every game or too. Don't get me wrong, victories against Australia are always sweet due to natural rivalary, but victories against this Australia, compared to say the 1990-1 Australia are much sweeter - because of how they play.

I think saying, that the quality of cricket played is what most Australian fans/players care about is pretty niaive given the current climate. But they seem to appreciate a lot better with other sports. :yes:

Angela Harlem said:

you'll find australians are interested in the quality of the cricket, not solely winning. unlike some it seems.

Oh, really? My flatmate happens to be an Australian and he certainly didn't want to hear a word about this particular game. And other Australians have been pretty quiet about it too.

It seems they're definitely concerned with winning.

Angela Harlem said:

i appreciate good exciting sport no matter who wins, i know it's not always about winning or losing. but if my team (in any sport) loses, even if the quality of the game is very high i'm still upset that my team lost. i can appreciate the thrill of the game but still not enjoy the fact we lost.

and i was in no way gloating that australia lost or saying you're all bad sports. far from it, in the ashes thread on here last summer most of the aussies were very good sports :up:

Axver said:

It seems they're definitely concerned with winning.

Nah...

A very, very oldie but a very, very goodie...

Greg: Trevor, can I encourage you to bowl this final ball to the best of your abilities, in the interests of producing the best game of cricket you can.

Trevor: I concur, Gregory, the result of this game is unimportant.

Rod: Greg, Trevor, have you considered the possibility of circumventing the laws of the game to win?

Greg: Save it Rod. The spirit of the game is more important than the winning of the game.

*Trevor bowls*

Crowd cheers wildly in the name of cricket.

Brian: What a great game! This ball will live on for years in the minds of cricket lovers, and be a living monument to the game. Allow me to throw my bat in a sign gratitude to the game of cricket.

Last edited:
I'm quite tired of you two wind-up merchants, you know. :down: The ironic thing is that the poor sportsmanship you so happily accuse Australia of is extremely apparent within yourselves.

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
I'm quite tired of you two wind-up merchants, you know. :down:

I can't speak for Axver, but I'm not winding. :shrug:

Just because I have an opinion opposite to others doesn't mean I'm wining. I'm not disolving into random personal attacks, and actually want discussion. I'm winding no more than what Angela's post was (and it wasn't even close to it, as she made a perfectly good argument, perfectly well, I just disagree on some points, namely those I quoted) It's not as if I just jumped here as soon as Australia lost... or else we would've been here when SA were 2-0 up and coasting in the 3rd.

Play the ball not the man.

Last edited:
timothius said:

I can't speak for Axver, but I'm not winding. :shrug:

Remarkably, I can speak for Axver. :wink:

I don't see where I've done any winding. I declared that this must be one of the greatest games ever, and when someone said Australians care about the quality of the game rather than merely winning, I provided examples of Australians who are acting like winning's more important than the quality.

If I were winding, I would've said something like "it would suck to be Australian right now" or asked where CrashedCarDriver is. Either I'm losing my memory and going blind, or I didn't do that. If the answer is the latter, you can stop with the baseless allegations of anti-Australian winding now, thanks.

If we want to be very precise, I was responding to comments initially made by the rockin edge, and then clarified I think twice, that not everyone is like this of course. So I dont understand where you made the one line a 'fits all' statement. It is perfectly fair to say Australians care about whatever. There's plenty who do. Though given that, it was also said twice like I said, that some of course wont. Your flatmate is one...Which is as relevant as me naming 24 people I know who care about the game play than the result. But anyway. It doesn't matter anymore.

:)

Thanks for the links, yertle!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Australia in South Africa

You know what, fuck this. I can dredge up numerous examples of Axver and to a lesser extent timothius being wind up merchants but what will be the point? Just enjoy the bloody cricket. Like Andrew Hall's amazing catch to dismiss Adam Gilchrist.

Last edited:
Dude, lets just talk cricket without getting into character analysis. We're all (with the possible exception of one) have a good enough discussions without resorting to this anytime we have differing opinions.

I think the real wind-up merchant started the thread anyway... :wink:

You can argue this......But Australia has been the most successful team for the past, well few years. (Or At least one of)

When a team (permit me to be arogant for a moment) as Australia has been so succesfull over the past few years, I think its just nature to wait for "them" to fall (yeah, we lost to bangladesh, wopty fucking doo...as embarassing as you may think it was, anyone can beat anyone on the day....watch for the Shepparton East Under 12's Vs Australia game later this year :wink:)

Clearly South Africa have proven that they can be the best, and challenge the best, and prehaps right now, are OD Crickets best, and this will be an increasing trend I think for the next couple of years,
That is, Tests not over in 3 days, and series not going all Australis' way.
The World cup next year is going to nowhere near be a "walkover"

If the one dayers are anything to go by, we're in for a great test series.

Once again I have achived a pointless post...........

Does anyone else think 20/20 cricket could have been added in the commenwealth games?

Just as a knock out competition.

I mean they had Cricket as a "Trial" in '98 didnt they?

I think 20/20 would be pretty fun to have in the Commonwealth Games. I think if you're going to have cricket as part of something like the Commonwealth Games then 20/20 is probably the most appropriate 'type' of cricket to have IMHO.

20/20 would work well in the Comm games, mainly because you would be able to field a fairly full strength team without raiding the ODI/Test teams - and most domestic cricket is finished too. :up:

It became quite exciting in the end, overall a very good test match for Australia. Just goes to show a different class that Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath bring to their bowling attack. It would have been a draw a without Warnie.

Ricky Ponting for me is the number 1 batsman in the world. While, Lara and Tendulkar are slowly fading away, Ponting is getting better by each innings. The way he dominates bowlers and commands at crease can only be compared to great Viv Richards in his prime.

A good series win for Aussies, but they must quickly find a bowling solution. Bring back Jason Gillespie

Wow. I didn't watch it, but sounded like a grandstand finish.

Apparently Kasprowicz had a "haunted" look in his eyes towards the end. I suspect he'll never live down Edgbaston, poor guy.

When Kasper made room to deflect the ball down to fine leg, it was so like what happened at Edgbaston in Ashes. Superb innings from Martyn, Hussey and Lee.

Gillespie is back for Bangladesh :wink:

Back
Top Bottom