Aung San Suu Kyi- The Prisoner of Rangoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Last night a documentary of this title was aired here in Australia. I had a feeling that perhaps, once again, Bono may be asked to comment. As it turned out, he wasn't, but perhaps someone more appropriate was. Suu Kyi spoke for herself and later the Dalai Lama was asked to comment.
It was a very powerful piece indeed. I watched it with my 14 year old son and I know he was greatly moved, by the images and the words. It was a very succinct and graphic telling of the story. Bravo to the makers.
It opened to the strains of U2 "Walk On" and closed with the same. The music and lyrics were blended beautifully with the piece.
Suu Kyi is......it would be hard to pin it down to a word or two. She really reminds me of my beloved Sunday School teacher, an Englishwoman, who is now in her 90's and experiencing her last days with us. They have the same sense of grace and calm and assuredness about them.
If you have the opportunity I would recommend you watch this, you'll feel inspired by Suu Kyi , I'm sure. But be warned, it will be hard to forget the screams of sheer terror of her people.

walk on.

The narrator was American. It was either on our ABC or SBS channel, either way, they use alot of stuff from the US PBS, so it could be from there.

It was very very good. They had video footage of the Burmese military raiding a village, doing a spot of ethnic cleansing. The women and children were all running out of the village, screaming, carrying all that they could. The men stayed and fought the military off for a while before fleeing. The footage was.. I dunno, speechless.
And the interview she gives was right before she went into house arrest this most recent time.
She is basically only alive because of her high international profile. If society heaped less 'fame' onto people like the cast of Friends, and more onto people like this who are actually doing something amazing, then maybe more would be done about the situations they are trying to change, rather then just jail time or death for these people.

Back
Top Bottom