Attentiion all North Americans!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olofski

The Fly
Hi,

I?m just curious what you think of the big ice, the nono red-line offside and some other rules that comes with the olympics.

I LOVE the NHL(LA fan) but I definately prefer to watch Swedish hockey on TV, cause it?s easier to follow. AND I think the game os more fun with the big ice and the long opening passes.

So what do you all Americans and Canadiens think of all this? More fun or does it suck!

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN
We move through miracle days Spirit moves in mysterious ways

Originally posted by Olofski:
Hi,

I?m just curious what you think of the big ice, the nono red-line offside and some other rules that comes with the olympics.

I think the game os more fun with the big ice and the long opening passes.

So what do you all Americans and Canadiens think of all this? More fun or does it suck!

You know, I'm glad somebody brough this up, because the differences in rules (and their interpretation) are an often overlooked factor in the Olympic hockey tournement. I think the Int'l rules give a decided edge to the european teams, simply because they play by them all the time. Even the good euro's that move on to the NHL learn the game on the "big ice".
Consequently, the European teams are still the teams that will win the medals this time around, and if Team USA sneaks in there it will only be because Herb Brooks' coaching style has a substantial European flavor to it. (see Lake Placid,1980) In Nagano the US and Canada were co-favorites to win the Gold-- Neither team medaled!
Don't missunderstand, I'm not complaining or making excuses, I actually prefer the International rules myself, and wish the NHL would adopt them.
They won't of course, because the NHL's dirty little secret is that it needs fighting and other needless violence to boost its ratings and popularity in North America. (So, Mr. Gretzky, if the shoe fits wear it!) To ensure the requisite number of fights per game, the NHL refs have to swallow their whistles and allow much of the clutching, grabbing, sticks to the groin, and other obligatory cheap shots that usually turn into a free-for-all.

i like the rules. they would never fly in the nhl though. unfortunately, as clark already pointed out.

i think we are about to see one of canada or the u.s. medal though. maybe both.

go Canada go!

------------------
don't.

I'm from the States, but I'm rooting for Canada. I think their country would probably appreciate a gold medal in men's hockey more than ours...as a whole. Did that make any sense at all? whatever...

*hide*

Shit, 14 min left and Sweden might be out of the tournament. It would be a scandal. Belarus is right now in the lead 3-2.

*goes back to the couch to try and cheer Sweden to the semi final*

*takes Olofski with me, Sweden sure needs all the help they can get*

HOOORRRRAAAYYYYYY Sundin just scored.....3-3 and we're in the game again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

incredible effort by belarus. very entertaining game. hope to see them play in canada in the next round...if canada can take down finland.

poor sweden.

sundin has been bringing the maple leafs back all season and at this olympics, especially against canada, really displayed how he is one of the games best at the moment.

on the plus side, with him playing only one more game and cujo apparently relegated to 3rd goalie for canada, the maple leafs stars should shine bright down the home stretch of hockey though.

go
canadaf.gif
go!

OJOJOJOJOJOJ....

My oh my... what happened???

The biggest fiasco in the olympic history.... or something.

The second period against Canada was probably one of the best periods by a Swedish hockey team ever and this game...probably the worst, in the same tournament. I have no words.

The Belarus team would probably not even be good enough to play in the swedish national league (according to experts) And in the swedish team there is only three (correct me if I'm wrong) that are playing in Sweden the rest are from NHL, and are stars in their team. How could it happen... *cries a little*

Well, something to be happy about, we got a bronze medal in slalom and had one girl on fourth place and one on 11th. And that is really good when you see to the conditions in the slope today. *tries to see things from the bright side*
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom