Astronomy domine - NOW PLAYING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GibsonGirl said:

:drool:

Pink Floyd - The Hero's Return

I love this song. I don't care what anyone says; The Final Cut was fucking genius.

http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/the-hero-return-final-lyrics.html

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never heard it before...stirring lyrics :up: My Pink Floyd knowledge is limited, sadly, to The Wall, and the Roger Waters side projects. There's a great (and really big) Pink Floyd tour book at Chapters in St. John's that I've skimmed through...they really set out on some massive jaunts around the planet...some of the images reminded me a little of Popmart, filled with great sets, visuals, etc.

I'll have to listen to more of their stuff. I really enjoy your taste in music...Echo and the Bunnymen were a revelation, and Modest Mouse are one of my favourites...:drool:

I'm turning this reply into an email...sorry folks :der:

Radiohead - Airbag (Live, South Park, Oxford, 2001)

:drool: x 2

Last edited:
angelordevil said:

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never heard it before...stirring lyrics :up: My Pink Floyd knowledge is limited, sadly, to The Wall, and the Roger Waters side projects. There's a great (and really big) Pink Floyd tour book at Chapters in St. John's that I've skimmed through...they really set out on some massive jaunts around the planet...some of the images reminded me a little of Popmart, filled with great sets, visuals, etc.

Oh man. I love Pink Floyd almost as much as I love Radiohead and U2. You definitely need to give more of their stuff a listen!

:shifty: http://s41.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=0GLM7M8RP7ZLK3IWBFQGDED40R

The Final Cut is a lower-key Floyd album. And don't be ashamed that you've never heard it - it's terribly overshadowed by Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall. It'll probably take time to grow, as the music isn't filled with hooks (it also requires the use of headphones to get the full experience.) But it is the most personal record Pink Floyd ever did. It explores the anguish Roger Waters experienced as a child (his father was killed in WWII - he never knew him) as well as his cynicism towards war in general. It's Waters' writing at its height.

The following is one of the best sections of music ever, in my opinion:

"A place to stay, enough to eat
Somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street
Where you can speak out loud about your doubts and fears
And what's more, no one ever disappears
You never hear their standard issue kicking in your door.
You can relax on both sides of the tracks
And maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
And everyone has recourse to the law
And no one kills the children anymore.
No one kills the children anymore.

Night after night
Going round and round my brain
His dream is driving me INSANE!"

Just listen to the way he drags out that last word. I get shivers every time. It's from "The Gunner's Dream," by the way, which is my favourite song on the album. Just after the saxophone solo (which I don't usually care for, but it works well for the song.)

I've blabbed on long enough. :drool: :wink: Check it out, it's a great album.

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

GibsonGirl said:
Modest Mouse - Polar Opposites

Thanks so much for that link!:hyper: :up: I have a strong feeling that these songs will soon be in my regular rotation ;)

Btw, your commentary is reminiscent of some of the best music journalism I've read...seriously :)

No Track Played....tired...:sad:

:wave:

angelordevil said:

Thanks so much for that link!:hyper: :up: I have a strong feeling that these songs will soon be in my regular rotation ;)

Btw, your commentary is reminiscent of some of the best music journalism I've read...seriously :)

No Track Played....tired...:sad:

:wave:

My pleasure! Anything to spread around the Floyd. :drool: Hope you enjoy it. Oh, and thanks, heh.

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

The Church -- Unguarded Moment

EMD acoustic version. This one I really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom