Assassination of the Sun - It's the Communist Sun God Worshippers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think as important as education is, survival is more important. As long survival is in doubt than we'll never evolve beyond traditional gender roles. Men being protectors and resource gathers and women giving birth and caring for the baby are natural evolutionary things which exist because when survival is in doubt that's what the species needed. But of course education is important, ensuring survival and education is what can bring us forward.

It's just I think all-boys schools just reinforce the notion of separate but equal. Especially when the schools are run by outdated sexist and homophobic religions such as the catholic church...

I don't know, I think our survival is pretty well established at this point in history, so why can't we move past traditional gender roles? I think that it's not an argument about our survival or not, but it is an issue of education. Just like racism can be passed down through generations, so can gender roles.

I think with gender roles people need to stop thinking in terms of man and woman but rather everyone as human beings. :up:

That can only be done though once we get past the reasons for them existing. Honestly gender roles are completely outdated in the western world and shouldn't even exist. Like I said we're designed for a world that existed thousands of years ago and that's what gender roles are based on. Once survival is no-longer in risk, gender roles should naturally disappear through evolution. Which is really why sexism is so annoying and stupid in the western world, we try to judge people based on something that hasn't made sense since civilization was formed...

Obviously though, it will take years and years and years to educate people to that point, and there is the issue of evolution as well. Some cultures have certainly evolved to treat women in a certain way, even more so than others, and that is something that would have to be combated as well.

To your point John, if underdeveloped nations work for survival through procreation shouldn't developed countries work for survival through equality and understanding? With the weapons technology today, isn't peace and understanding how we'll survive?

It's just I think all-boys schools just reinforce the notion of separate but equal. Especially when the schools are run by outdated sexist and homophobic religions such as the catholic church...

Just jumping in to say...please never let my mother hear you say something like that. :wink:

Okay back to work now.

I don't know, I think our survival is pretty well established at this point in history, so why can't we move past traditional gender roles? I think that it's not an argument about our survival or not, but it is an issue of education. Just like racism can be passed down through generations, so can gender roles.

Of course you're right but the point I'm trying to make is that in areas of the world where survival is a non-issue the Western world gender roles play a much lesser part in life. While in countries where they exist strongly are generally ones with poverty where survival is actually in doubt for a lot of people. Of course education can eliminate them but for them to naturally disappear (which in my opinion, they evolutionarily should in the Western World); survival needs to be a non-issue world wide...which unfortunately it's not

To your point John, if underdeveloped nations work for survival through procreation shouldn't developed countries work for survival through equality and understanding? With the weapons technology today, isn't peace and understanding how we'll survive?

I don't really think of it as survival through procreation, I think of it as survival through well surviving. The reason they ever existed in the first place are based on the need for survival which we should be easily able to supply in this world, but we don't to many underdeveloped countries...

of course but that's only possible in the Western world; and the fact sexism still exists in this day and age is disgusting I mean there is absolutely no reason left for gender roles in countries like the US

Just jumping in to say...please never let my mother hear you say something like that. :wink:

Okay back to work now.

don't worry I'll be a nice catholic boy to her :wink:

That can only be done though once we get past the reasons for them existing. Honestly gender roles are completely outdated in the western world and shouldn't even exist. Like I said we're designed for a world that existed thousands of years ago and that's what gender roles are based on. Once survival is no-longer in risk, gender roles should naturally disappear through evolution. Which is really why sexism is so annoying and stupid in the western world, we try to judge people based on something that hasn't made sense since civilization was formed...

I agree that it is frustrating. I think that religions started thousands of years ago add to the problem. So as strange as it sounds, I think organized religion (not faith though) has to go too for gender roles to go away completely. The story of Adam and Eve for example is VERY sexist. Sin was created because of a woman. :tsk:

I agree that it is frustrating. I think that religions started thousands of years ago add to the problem. So as strange as it sounds, I think organized religion (not faith though) has to go too for gender roles to go away completely. The story of Adam and Eve for example is VERY sexist. Sin was created because of a woman. :tsk:

Religions generally take a good idea and pervert it for their own uses.

Jesus says "love thy neighbours" and that somehow leads to a religion that kills non-worshippers?

Honestly Jesus was great in so many ways, he deserves worship but not the way it happens now...

I mean I have no idea if God exists or not but if (s)he does I'd imagine someone's mighty annoyed at us

I don't think organised religions need to disappear but I think religions that try to enforce things such as no women-priests, marriage between a man and a woman need to go. Faith should bring people together not break them apart

You guys would so love this class of mine! We covered Sex&Gender last week, very interesting topic. It was about how biology loves variety (we were talking about transexuals and hermaphrodites) but how society just wants to categorize everything with neat little labels. And whoever doesn't fit in the category has to be ostracized.

Of course you're right but the point I'm trying to make is that in areas of the world where survival is a non-issue the Western world gender roles play a much lesser part in life. While in countries where they exist strongly are generally ones with poverty where survival is actually in doubt for a lot of people. Of course education can eliminate them but for them to naturally disappear (which in my opinion, they evolutionarily should in the Western World); survival needs to be a non-issue world wide...which unfortunately it's not

I'm not sure if I'd argue that gender roles play a much lesser role in life in Western countries. Yes, they're less than in less developed nations, but gender roles still have a huge effect on many facets of society.

Here's an example: At my job, there's an adult full-time worker who has been given the more menial tasks, like what I would do as a student worker. Essentially, to deal with the customer service aspects of the job, and has been cut out of the other tasks that the other two full-time workers do, like working with servers, etc. Why? Because our boss (more like my boss' boss) is sexist and has deemed it more acceptable for her to be doing customer service because it's "what women are better at." Now, of course, he hasn't come straight out and said that, but his actions speak far louder than anything he has said to combat that attitude.

Religions generally take a good idea and pervert it for their own uses.

Jesus says "love thy neighbours" and that somehow leads to a religion that kills non-worshippers?

Honestly Jesus was great in so many ways, he deserves worship but not the way it happens now...

I mean I have no idea if God exists or not but if (s)he does I'd imagine someone's mighty annoyed at us

:yes: The Bible was so clearly written by men without the assistance of a diety. It is so full of contradictions and sexism. Honestly, if a god doesn't think we are all equal but we do then I'd say we're far better. That's the problem with religion and why it holds us back.

You guys would so love this class of mine! We covered Sex&Gender last week, very interesting topic. It was about how biology loves variety (we were talking about transexuals and hermaphrodites) but how society just wants to categorize everything with neat little labels. And whoever doesn't fit in the category has to be ostracized.

:yes: Like I said, think of people not by their gender but as human beings. :up:

I'm not sure if I'd argue that gender roles play a much lesser role in life in Western countries. Yes, they're less than in less developed nations, but gender roles still have a huge effect on many facets of society.

Here's an example: At my job, there's an adult full-time worker who has been given the more menial tasks, like what I would do as a student worker. Essentially, to deal with the customer service aspects of the job, and has been cut out of the other tasks that the other two full-time workers do, like working with servers, etc. Why? Because our boss (more like my boss' boss) is sexist and has deemed it more acceptable for her to be doing customer service because it's "what women are better at." Now, of course, he hasn't come straight out and said that, but his actions speak far louder than anything he has said to combat that attitude.

Of course gender roles still exist in the western world but the point I'm trying to make is that they simply shouldn't and are redundant for the most part. Of course they will always have an affect on society, the different requirements for men and women thousands of years ago have shaped society but I think what's finally starting to come through into society now is a more of a mixture of "gender traits". Which I think is the natural evolutionary path. It's becoming more and more common for women and men to show traits generally associated with the opposite gender and in my mind this is evolution the next stage if you will, as men and women are no longer required to be a certain way any more for the species to thrive we're starting to see the first stages of change.

of course a lot of people are simply idiots and idiots bred with idiots and that causes more idiots to be born which means they never disappear from the gene pool unfortunately...

LemonMelon, I haven't seen you in here before :wave: How goes it?

of course a lot of people are simply idiots and idiots bred with idiots and that causes more idiots to be born which means they never disappear from the gene pool unfortunately...

That's what I was trying to get at with an earlier post of mine. There has to be a mixture of evolution and education because just like other phobias and -isms (homophobia, racism) get passed down through the generations, so does sexism and gender roles.

You're right, we have come a long way, but at the same time, there's a lot more to be done.

Anyway, I'm off, I'm going to go hang out with a friend for awhile. :wave:

And he obviously done it because he was Jewish right? I mean that obviously makes sense. Now let's not get into the craziness of Jesus being a jew, that's just a nasty rumour right? :wink:

The Bible hates everyone except for white, collar-wearing McCain voters with a southern drawl. Remember that, and it'll save you a lot of time and thought. :up:

On facebook under the "people you might know" section, I keep getting a Travis W... I wanted to confirm if that's you? Apparently we have a lot of friends in common :lol:

:yes: Yeah, the majority of people on my friends list are from Interference (I went there in the first place because of LMP and Phillyfan), so that explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom