Assassination of the Sun - It's the Communist Sun God Worshippers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just see that as a form of sadism - who would want to inflict that sort of pain on the wife they supposedly love? Why would they WANT their wife to be in horrendous pain every time they had sex? It's sadism, right, and probably harks back to whole idea that women should be punished. That basic idea at the centre of most chauvinism and that which seemingly has no cause whatsoever.

Marriages for love is a relatively recent concept, much more common here in the west. In the east, marriages are a form of alliance between families and business dealings, etc.

I just see that as a form of sadism - who would want to inflict that sort of pain on the wife they supposedly love? Why would they WANT their wife to be in horrendous pain every time they had sex? It's sadism, right, and probably harks back to whole idea that women should be punished. That basic idea at the centre of most chauvinism and that which seemingly has no cause whatsoever.

I don't think love comes into over there. Most women probably have no say in who they marry at all.

And one of the reasons why women are so neglected is simply; when a woman marries she leaves the household, while if a man marries more people join the household. Problem is families see women as being less worthy of investing food and education in because they won't be the ones supporting them in old age...

Yeah, me too. I appreciate other cultures and think they're to be cherished, but at the same time - I just can't understand things like that. I don't think it's an indicator of that culture being wrong, or bad, just... uneducated perhaps?

I think every culture has elements of bad or simply uneducated parts to them. I mean up until 50 years ago a lot of them existed in Western culture and a lot of things that are simply wrong still exist today. Every culture has so many unique aspects that make it worthwhile but each one has its negative aspects, some have more than others.

It is evolution. Our species continues to get better in areas but not everyone is on the same evolutionary clock. That's just how it works. As long as WE as in everyone here fights for what we believe we're on the right track.

But Evolution takes on average in humans 50,000 years to pass through the entire gene pool. Most humans alive today and made for a world that existed 50,000 years ago.

And evolution doesn't always mean better anyway, the species that survives are the ones who reproduce and can protect their offspring. A version of humanity that probably would of been much better for this world probably died off thousands of years ago...

It is evolution. Our species continues to get better in areas but not everyone is on the same evolutionary clock. That's just how it works. As long as WE as in everyone here fights for what we believe we're on the right track.

:up:

Marriages for love is a relatively recent concept, much more common here in the west. In the east, marriages are a form of alliance between families and business dealings, etc.

trippy idea but yep - and again, the culture clash is evident

I think every culture has elements of bad or simply uneducated parts to them. I mean up until 50 years ago a lot of them existed in Western culture and a lot of things that are simply wrong still exist today. Every culture has so many unique aspects that make it worthwhile but each one has its negative aspects, some have more than others.

:up:

I'd say most of these aspects still exist in our culture, just MUCH less overtly and buried deeper. On the surface of things, we're equal right? Well of course we're not, you just have to look at the chauvinism Hillary Clinton experienced, and the racism Obama dealt with, and the fact we have a bloody BNP party over here... those ideas are still here, just worded differently. And because they're wrapped up in clever ideology and spouted by seemingly educated people, makes them that more frightening.

I'd say most of these aspects still exist in our culture, just MUCH less overtly and buried deeper. On the surface of things, we're equal right? Well of course we're not, you just have to look at the chauvinism Hillary Clinton experienced, and the racism Obama dealt with, and the fact we have a bloody BNP party over here... those ideas are still here, just worded differently. And because they're wrapped up in clever ideology and spouted by seemingly educated people, makes them that more frightening.

I'd like to be positive and think that for the majority those things have passed by...but you're probably right...humans suck

I don't know what'll happen, or why people think these things, and i just don't want to know about them anymore. I'm joining a hippy commune, who's joining me?!

(I'm also off for a bath presently, bbs :D )

But Evolution takes on average in humans 50,000 years to pass through the entire gene pool. Most humans alive today and made for a world that existed 50,000 years ago.

And evolution doesn't always mean better anyway, the species that survives are the ones who reproduce and can protect their offspring. A version of humanity that probably would of been much better for this world probably died off thousands of years ago...

I'm not a scientist but I don't believe that evolution is working at the same rate for the rest of the world as it is for us. In fact I think a species as advanced as us must work differently.

I disagree. I think the path we are on is leading to something much better. Then again I'm a dreamer.

I don't think you can ever eradicate completely chauvinism or racism or any of the other isms unless good quality education really, truly is available to everyone - not trying to be a party pooper here and not saying that we should give up trying, not at all - and equally happy to be proven wrong - just feel that difference of opinion (whether I think its right or wrong) is really what makes the world go round . . . am sure am about to get pelted with :madwife: - not so good at explaining these illusory concepts . . . I need some of Screwtapes eloquence :wink:

I have a feeling humanity will end up killing itself off rather than go through a process of natural extinction.

I honestly don't think either will happen any time soon; humanity has been on the brink of extinction many times in history and always survived and for the most part I hope we're not stupid enough to kill ourselves...but anything can happen...things like nuclear weapons really need to just stop existing before they can be used...

I don't think you can ever eradicate completely chauvinism or racism or any of the other isms unless good quality education really, truly is available to everyone - not trying to be a party pooper here and not saying that we should give up trying, not at all - and equally happy to be proven wrong - just feel that difference of opinion (whether I think its right or wrong) is really what makes the world go round . . . am sure am about to get pelted with :madwife: - not so good at explaining these illusory concepts . . . I need some of Screwtapes eloquence :wink:

I think at some point those things are destined to die out when our philosophy changes.

I'm not a scientist but I don't believe that evolution is working at the same rate for the rest of the world as it is for us. In fact I think a species as advanced as us must work differently.

I disagree. I think the path we are on is leading to something much better. Then again I'm a dreamer.

Evolution takes a while to affect an entire genepool though; we've got 6 billion souls on this planet it takes thousands of years to spread completely. Of course that's for species wide evolution, some humans are at different stages of evolution than others and in different ways. We live on a planet were every few miles there's different circumstances meaning people adapt differently to everything else meaning evolution is never constant for an entire population unless it is needed by the entire species or through breeding which takes thousands of years to spread.

I'd agree the path we are on now is the right course; however for years it wasn't. We evolved to survive, it's as simple as that. Evolution is what made cultures the way they are. It's no coincidence that women's rights are stronger in countries that have gone beyond simply trying to survive. Most humans are designed for a world were reproducing and survival are the goal, however the world has gone past that and that is why gender roles need to change.

Education won't do anything, simple things such as having all-male schools are breeding grounds for sexism and the majority of schools in Ireland are like that. We create an us-and-them situation and teach kids that's the way it's meant to be.

Evolution is what made cultures the way they are. It's no coincidence that women's rights are stronger in countries that have gone beyond simply trying to survive. Most humans are designed for a world were reproducing and survival are the goal, however the world has gone past that and that is why gender roles need to change.

Education won't do anything, simply things such as having all-male schools are breeding grounds for sexism and the majority of schools in Ireland are like that. we create an us and them situation and teach kids that's the way it's meant to be.

Fair enough, but education has to be a starting point doesn't it? You can't evolve without the knowledge that things need to be different / can be different. . .

as for the all male school thing . . . I really can't answer that except to say that I don't think its an entirely 'all boys' school concept to be bullied and hassled . . . it happens , sadly, regardless of the gender mix and I've done a bit of investigating over the last year or so as my boys are getting ready to do the transition from primary to an all boys 'middle' school and it would seem that some of the imbalances and the cultural biases are at least trying to be addressed within the school system which has to be a good thing . . . and also needs to be balanced by what kids see at home . . . am I waffling? :reject:

Fair enough, but education has to be a starting point doesn't it? You can't evolve without the knowledge that things need to be different / can be different. . .

as for the all male school thing . . . I really can't answer that except to say that I don't think its an entirely 'all boys' school concept to be bullied and hassled . . . it happens , sadly, regardless of the gender mix and I've done a bit of investigating over the last year or so as my boys are getting ready to do the transition from primary to an all boys 'middle' school and it would seem that some of the imbalances and the cultural biases are at least trying to be addressed within the school system which has to be a good thing . . . and also needs to be balanced by what kids see at home . . . am I waffling? :reject:

I think as important as education is, survival is more important. As long survival is in doubt than we'll never evolve beyond traditional gender roles. Men being protectors and resource gathers and women giving birth and caring for the baby are natural evolutionary things which exist because when survival is in doubt that's what the species needed. But of course education is important, ensuring survival and education is what can bring us forward.

It's just I think all-boys schools just reinforce the notion of separate but equal. Especially when the schools are run by outdated sexist and homophobic religions such as the catholic church...

Evolution takes a while to affect an entire genepool though; we've got 6 billion souls on this planet it takes thousands of years to spread completely. Of course that's for species wide evolution, some humans are at different stages of evolution than others and in different ways. We live on a planet were every few miles there's different circumstances meaning people adapt differently to everything else meaning evolution is never constant for an entire population unless it is needed by the entire species or through breeding which takes thousands of years to spread.

I'd agree the path we are on now is the right course; however for years it wasn't. We evolved to survive, it's as simple as that. Evolution is what made cultures the way they are. It's no coincidence that women's rights are stronger in countries that have gone beyond simply trying to survive. Most humans are designed for a world were reproducing and survival are the goal, however the world has gone past that and that is why gender roles need to change.

I think with gender roles people need to stop thinking in terms of man and woman but rather everyone as human beings. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom