Aspartame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Can anyone give me a brief rundown on the effects of aspartame?

thanks.

I'm trying to do some amateur research on why my liver functions are high.

melon said:
Give me your liver symptoms, and maybe I can guess.

Melon

In March,
My glucose-fasting and SGOT(AST) are normal...

only my SGPT (ALT) is 74 HI outside of the 5-35 units/L range.

Three years ago, my liver functions followed the same pattern, with SGPT (ALT) at 56 HI, while the other two were normal... then there was also the BILI TOTAL which was 1.4 HI ouside of 0.1-1.0 mg/dL range.

Thanks Angela, I'll check out that link.

I didn't know which website to check out, because there were overwhelmingly so many.*

*Edited

Last edited:
Hmm...a bit too technical for me. :reject:

My philosophy in life, however, is to avoid anything "artificial" as humanly possible. Indeed, it is not possible to completely avoid it, but large intake of aspartame and any artificial chemicals are certainly things to avoid.

But, honestly, with so many chemicals in so much of our food these days, it could be one of many things causing your liver functions to be abnormal. Or, maybe, it just came out of nowhere.

Melon

wasnt that the one they sent that hoaxmail about? I really did wonder if it changed formulations after being left to warm to 80 degrees to d-formaldehyde and cause false positive lupus and MS markers?

Gives me a headache.

I've HEARD that aspartame was linked to brain tumours.
Really.
I only bring this up because I chew an obscene amount of gum (sugarfree, had aspartame) and my friends always used to tease me about it.

As for the hunger thing, I have heard, as well, that it stimulates the hunger centres in your brain. Thus, having a sugar replacement really does nothing to cut down on calories. People would be better off just slowly cutting down on sugar intake in coffee, tea, etc, or using honey or natural sweetners.

Anyway, my .02

Back
Top Bottom