Ask a Philadelphia fan - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Ask a Philadelphia fan

This thread is about asking me, the average Philadelphia sports fan, a question. Why are we like we are? What do I think about this upcoming season or this Phillies team? Anything.

(BTW, I have no idea whether people care or not. Just throwing it out there)

Old 06-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:09 AM
As a Mets fan, I often went to the Vet when the Phillies played the Mets and always got out alive. Of course, that might be because there were always lots more Mets fans than Phillie fans there. It was kind of the Mets fan's home away from home.

Actually for the horrible reputation Philly fans have, I only had nice experiences there--except when the Phillies always beat the Mets in like the ninth inning like all the time. But that wasn't the Philly fans' fault. But did you have to gloat SO much? Really, the fans couldn't have been nicer and I immensely enjoyed the very creative heckling.

So why do you guys get your reputation besides for booing Mike Schmidt and cheering opposition injuries?

By the way, do the locals call the new stadium Citizens Bank Park or something less corporaty.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

can i take back the lenny dykstra for juan samuel trade on behalf of the mets? just as like an honorary thing?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh, please!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
As a Mets fan, I often went to the Vet when the Phillies played the Mets and always got out alive. Of course, that might be because there were always lots more Mets fans than Phillie fans there. It was kind of the Mets fan's home away from home.

Actually for the horrible reputation Philly fans have, I only had nice experiences there--except when the Phillies always beat the Mets in like the ninth inning like all the time. But that wasn't the Philly fans' fault. But did you have to gloat SO much? Really, the fans couldn't have been nicer and I immensely enjoyed the very creative heckling.

So why do you guys get your reputation besides for booing Mike Schmidt and cheering opposition injuries?

By the way, do the locals call the new stadium Citizens Bank Park or something less corporaty.
We gloat because we rarely get that opportunity. Trust me, it wasn't just a win. It was a win against New York, and people in Philadelphia hate all things New York.

The reputation? It's about as exxagerated as can get. We booed Mike Schmidt for trying to be private in a public business. He was changing something that was already pretty set. He was a jerk. Did I agree with it? No - the guy played hard and was as successful as can be. And he stayed in Philly. And we cheered ONE opposition injury: Michael Irvin. C'mon, it's Michael Irvin. Did we know his neck was broken? No. We thought he'd just gotten shaken up by a hard hit. After that few cheers were heard.

The reputation is misleading. We're not nearly as violent as it's portrayed. We don't fight out-of-town fans. We're not punks. We know the game. All we expect is hustle and a moderate amount of success from a player.

The only truth is that we DO boo all the time. Guys get in the doghouse and that's it for them.

And for CBP, we tried. The Linc was found for Lincoln Financial Field, but we couldn't get anything for CBP. It is rarely called by name. You just say you were at a Phils game, not the stadium. No one liked the name, and some local stations tried pathetic names like "The Bank" and "The Vault" that never stuck.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
can i take back the lenny dykstra for juan samuel trade on behalf of the mets? just as like an honorary thing?
No.

Any trades that we could make successfully have to stand. After the Ed Wade Era, we deserve to keep the thing.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Ask a Philadelphia fan

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
This thread is about asking me, the average Philadelphia sports fan, a question. Why are we like we are? What do I think about this upcoming season or this Phillies team? Anything.

(BTW, I have no idea whether people care or not. Just throwing it out there)
I've got a question. I used to live in the area. Why do you guys whine so much? Seriously. It was depressing listening to 610 WIP all day, genuinely depressing.

And Howard Eskin was a douche to boot.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

We were the Phillies' Triple A affilliate for the past 18 years. How do you guys feel about taking in a Triple A home game in Ottawa next year until Allentown is ready? Beautiful city, but if your farm team was bitching about having to play in Scranton in April....
Old 06-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What about throwing batteries at JD Drew the first time he came to Philly?

I love the fact that you guys had a courthouse inside the Vet for Eagles' games.

What about the Southwest commercial where the guy says Philly is just like a baby New York? do you want to mangle him?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Is it true you guys booed Santa Claus?

Be honest
Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
What about throwing batteries at JD Drew the first time he came to Philly?
Oh, yeah. And death threats against Mitch Williams? OK, he did give up the home run that blew the Series for you, but still....

And is it my imagination that the Phillies choose to trade or release an inordinate amount of pitchers just as they are about to mature into really great pitchers?
Old 06-08-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Have any of your still living relatives ever actually witnessed a Philadelphia major sports championship?
(The Iggles winning the NFC title doesn't count although most Phillyians acted like it did, but remember you vomited the Superbowl away).
Old 06-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

little mr. bostonite wins one title in 86 years and now he's an expert
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

little mr. bostonite wins one title in 86 years and now he's an expert
Old 06-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

i double post with the best