Ashlee Simpson's screw up on SNL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that was so unprofessional. She should've just recovered. She is still green I guess. The one day that I miss SNL and something like that happens. LOL

Maybe SNL will take this as a queue to stop booking crap musical guests.

And yes, I realize U2 is coming on soon - I think, yes? - but for the most part, they have too much top 40 stuff on the show. Remember waaaay back when, when they used to have "cutting edge" bands on the show?

Laurie Anderson was once a musical guest, for pete's sake! Can you imagine them putting someone avant garde like her on now?

And I'm sorry, I think Asslee Simpson is rather ugly. What, the Simpson parents could only afford one nose job?

::ducks::

I saw that on CNN. I was almost going to watch Saturday Night Live last night but when I found out she was guest starring I changed the channel. So glad I did. What nerve!!

Thanks for sharing the video, that is hilarious!!! What a loser, walking of stage and leaving your band. The best is talking about never lip-synching like shes a real musician, and then doing it. But Jessica Simpson can do whatever she wants, shes so beautiful..... :drool:

Dragonfave said:
In case anybody is interested, I decided to post an acoustic performance by Ashlee @ some radio station. Something went wrong during the middle part of the song:

http://wnou.com/av/audio/billyandmarco/ashlee_pieces_of_me.mp3

:crack:

I'll say this, she's brave to do an actual live acoustic performance, because her voice is terrible!! How on Earth did she ever get signed to a label?

edit: just saw the video of the messup. Dude. If she had any decent performer's instinct, she could have saved that easily by starting on the next 4 bars.

Oh wait, that would require actually singing! :lol:

Last edited:
Now I rarely watch SNL anymore cause it tends to suck badly, but they used to have a policy against lyp-syncing (Hence the "Live" in SNL), every musical act was supposed to perform (and sing) live. I wonder if someone intentionally messed up the track to expose her.

I didn't think SNL allowed lip synching

This was supposedly posted by Ashlee on her msg board

Get your jabs in now
10/24/2004 8:00:55 PM - by Ashlee Simpson

Once I can get in contact with the webmaster, everythings getting deleted. It doesn't matter anyway, there's too many important people behind my career to stop it now.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Get your jabs in now

Once I can get in contact with the webmaster, everythings getting deleted. It doesn't matter anyway, there's too many important people behind my career to stop it now.

wow, she's a tad cocky, isn't she?

MrsSpringsteen said:
I didn't think SNL allowed lip synching

Get your jabs in now

this just keeps getting better :up:

daddy help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a little fuckwit!! And these people have the audacity to call themselves "artists". That's like a painter having a gallery show but using photocopies of the paintings. Not to mention the fact she can't sing. I think I'd rather listen to a dying cow.

Bono may not have the best voice technically, but at least the man can sing his own fucking songs ON PITCH.

SNL not allow lipsynching!?!?!?!? LOL! Just watch any Britney or Janet Jackson performance and you will see without any doubt that lipsynching is allowed.

While this is very funny... very very funny... unlike the rest of you I will give this Jay Leno looking girl the benefit of the doubt... afterall, would you all be mocking U2 if the wrong track had come on durring their Top of the Pops performance when Edge, Adam and Larry's instrumentals were pre-recorded? Can't really call Ashlee Simpson a fraud when U2 just recently did pretty much the same thing

Headache in a Suitcase said:
While this is very funny... very very funny... unlike the rest of you I will give this Jay Leno looking girl the benefit of the doubt... afterall, would you all be mocking U2 if the wrong track had come on durring their Top of the Pops performance when Edge, Adam and Larry's instrumentals were pre-recorded? Can't really call Ashlee Simpson a fraud when U2 just recently did pretty much the same thing

True, but I don't think they would have run off the stage. They would have laughed about it and got the performance going properly.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1492993/20041025/simpson_ashlee.jhtml?headlines=true

Ashlee Owns Up, Takes Responsibility For 'SNL' Lip-Synch Snafu
10.25.2004 1:11 PM EDT

Although she'd initially blamed her band, Ashlee Simpson took full responsibility Sunday for her lip-synching snafu on "Saturday Night Live," saying that her voice was ragged from too much work.

"I can't cancel something like 'SNL,' " she said in a post to her official Web site. "You and I know that even if I synched on it or not, I'd still get seen by millions, maybe even make a few more fans. I'll hold my head high and say I think it was silly of me to do it, silly of me to blame the band, I was just so f---ing embarrassed. But I don't think it did me much harm, and people will see that soon."

Though Simpson's first performance in the show — her hit "Pieces of Me" — went off without a hitch, the second, "Autobiography," was derailed when a pre-recorded track of her voice (singing "Pieces of Me") began playing while Simpson was holding her mic to the side and had her mouth closed. When the track came on, Simpson tried to dance a little jig instead, but after about 30 seconds, she exited the stage as her band continued performing. The show cut to a commercial.

At the end of the show, host Jude Law tried to help Simpson brush the moment aside by shrugging, "What can I say, folks? Live TV." For her part, Simpson initially placed the blame on her band. "I feel so bad," she told the audience. "My band started playing the wrong song. And I didn't know what to do, so I thought I'd do a hoe-down. I'm sorry. It's live TV. Things happen. I'm sorry."

An "SNL" spokesperson said that Simpson had planned to use a backing track, a common concert aid that allows singers to either lip-synch or sing along with a guide-vocal track, to augment her voice. A statement from Simpson's record label blamed a "computer glitch" that triggered "a cut from her album" to play instead of a drum cue.

In fact, Simpson had rehearsed the song live on Thursday (see "Ashlee Simpson Preparing To Take On Tara Reid").

Simpson has since been widely attacked for the snafu, with an interview she gave to Lucky magazine coming back to haunt her. When asked what her take on lip-synching was, she had told the magazine, "I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going to let my real talent show, not just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me."

Simpson's official Web site has been flooded with more than 10,000 posts, many of them negative. In response to the criticism, Simpson defended herself by blaming her hectic work schedule for wearing down her voice. In a post titled, "I'm trying!" she wrote, "Seriously, I don't sleep much for a start, and with flying from A to B and flying all over the f---ing place, it's just getting to me. And it showed. Joke is on me, you seem to enjoy it." In response to her Lucky magazine quote, she posted, "I know what I said, but when I get as worn out and beaten down as I do, sometimes I do not have the energy or the voice left. I have almost lost it due to nonstop moving about. So it is the only option."

Simpson has performed live on television on previous occasions, including MTV News' pre-show to the Video Music Awards, "By the Shore," and the Teen Choice Awards. She's expected to perform live on Monday (October 25), for the Radio Music Awards in Las Vegas, which are to be broadcast on NBC at 9 p.m.

—Jennifer Vineyard

image.gif

Back
Top Bottom