Ashes to Ashes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
Is anyone going to watch this next week? I think it will probably be terrible (and the discussion on Newnight Review about it tonight didn't do much to reassure me), but I'll definitely watch it just to be able to complain about how much better Life on Mars was.

depends does it not? The Newsnight critics watched only the first two episodes...and honestly i've never trusted Newsnight review on anything:wink: Even though I watch it quite religiously.

It comes with loaded expectations due to Life on Mars, I would give it the first four episodes before writing it off.

Keeley Hawes is in it, Kudos made it and I loved Life On Mars, it could be a disaster but I'm still interested. Unfortunately I'll have to be downloading it since I live in the US and no doubt BBC won't show it here until like 2012.

I really enjoyed the first episode. I think Alex Drake is a brilliant character and works perfectly with Gene.

A lot of people said that the fact that Alex is so self-aware of what's happening to her would ruin the show but I think it works well.

My only gripe is that it's now set in London instead of Manchester. Don't get me wrong, in the modern day shots London looks fantastic but London's already the location for so many TV shows does it really need another? Having said that, Manchester's not exactly under-represented in the TV stakes...what's wrong with setting something in Liverpool or Newcastle or Glasgow for a change?!)

I was pleasantly surprised by it, and loved the Gene Hunt scenes (like the one on the speed boat and when he walked out of his office while putting on his gloves), but I think those could get old fast if that continues into later episodes.

As it was the last episode last night...

(I'll try not to reveal the ending in case anyone hasn't seen it yet but knowing me I probably will)

Now that all has been revealed about who was behind the car bomb, I feel so stupid. By the end of episode one I believed 100% that you-know-who was behind the bomb and now I see that was exactly what the writers wanted me to think and I just blindly went along with it for the entire series!

So when at the end the real bomber was revealed it was a total shock to me. When he was there clutching the bridge of his nose with that pained expression on his face, even then I still didn't get it and was sat at home thinking, "Awwww. Has the poor love got a headache? I wonder if he's got any Anadin?"* and then his face slowly changes into the Bowie clown and he turns smirking towards the camera/Alex and winks. ARGH!!! *cue explosion*.

I just think it was brilliant because it was (for me at least) an unexpected ending but it was one where I found myself going, "Oh yeah. So that's why the Bowie clown keeps on saying 'We're waiting for you, Alex' and that's why this happened and that thing that happened in episode such-and-such was a clue". Because often with unexpected endings I find myself going, "But that's ridiculous! That doesn't make any sense!" but thankfully not this time.

Anyway, roll on series 2!

(By the way, I must have missed an episode because I don't remember the photos from Alex's dream. Which episode were they in?)

*I know it was a bizarre thing to think but I honestly did.

Back
Top Bottom