As The Lakers Turn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Lakers are not the right situation for Coach K. If he really wants to coach in the NBA, he should wait for a less volatile situation.

It is discouraging to see Duke players leaving early for the NBA, or deciding not to attend Duke at all. Duke players didn't used to do that!

On a personal level, I've heard his youngest daughter just got married. I remember when she was a little girl, standing by her dad when he won his first championship. Time flies!

hi... i'm mike krizeezoosky...

you mean krzyzewski

yes i am

sources close to me :)wink:) say that coach k may be leaning towards leaving to allow his protege' steve wojciechowski to take over at cameron, rather than stay another 10 years and have wojo leave and coach somewhere else, and then not have someone he trusts to take over at duke when he's ready to retire... just a rumor goin' 'round

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

sources close to me :)wink:) say that coach k may be leaning towards leaving to allow his protege' steve wojciechowski to take over at cameron, .....B]

Don't you think Johnny Dawkins is the next coach?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

would make sense to me, seeing as he's the top assistant and not wojo... just relaying something a friend of mine in the business told me. shouldn't be taken as fact... just a rumor

ESPN and all report that Dawkins might be taken with Coach K as a bench coach due to his NBA experience...but what if? Johnny don't wanna go??????

:heart: Wojo :heart:

I still have a picture of him hanging up in my bedroom at my parents' house--I always tried to imitate him when I played defense. I must say, those would be pretty big shoes for him to fill.

By the way, this reminds me of when Spurrier quit at Florida and everyone was certain that Bob Stoops would replace him. Bob stayed here at OU, so I'm still holding out hope that Coach K will stay at Duke.

I think its a fairly clear assumption that when Pat Riley was in town last week to talk with Dr. Buss, he probably told him "I don't want your team but I'd like to have your big man!" I have heard that there's a deal in the works for Eldon Brand (?) Brian Grant (?) Names.....and another name not a draft choice for Shaq-Daddy...

Interesting ...I've always liked Brian Grant (came from Portland to Miami...??? I think) the guy with the long hair and braids....:up:

I like the Lakers choice of Rudy T over Coach K...Rudy T is a class act and a proven winner. I just hope that the cast of egos that the Lakers have don't spoil his time there in Los Angeles.

Also, can I get one thing off my chest...who in the hell does Kobe think he is? I'm thinking Magic would love to have a few minutes alone with this guy to kick his ass for the approach that he is taking as a Laker.

trades normaly aren't made official on the weekend... they wait till monday, the start of the business week. apparently the lakers are waiting for kobe bryant's approval to complete the trade... oh how i'll laugh if kobe decides to sign somewhere else after the lakers do all of this to make him happy.

and let's not forget that the man still could be in jail next season... ponderous... f'ing ponderous.

And it seems they have been for a while.

Gotta agree with you about the Kobe stuff, headache. It boggles the mind.

Any thought on this or is it just business...just one day prior to Kobe making his decision, the Clippers anticipate Kobe coming over and so they trim their payroll by sending two guys to another team...then Kobe says no! :confused: Is that right or is it just $$$$$$ to make more $$$$$ ???

Clearly the Clippers made those moves to clear cap space in hope of landing Koberapist, whether he led them to believe that he was gonna sign there or whether they just made the moves to be able to put together the most attractive offer to him, who knows. Anyway once again the Clips are the sisters of the poor in LA. They have lots of available cap space now, but don't know what prize they might pursue, the big fish have all been landed.

worst... trade... ever...

and as for kobe, this article on yahoo pretty much sums it all up...

All you really need to know about the kind of guy, the kind of teammate, the kind of employee Kobe Bryant is could be found in the look of mourning and terror painted across Mitch Kupchak's face this week.

The Los Angeles Lakers general manager recently had watched his team implode in the NBA finals, had his legendary coach retire under duress and then was forced to trade away Shaquille O'Neal, the game's most dominant player.

Each was, at least in part, a result of either Bryant's actions or wishes.

"A disappointing day in a lot of ways," Kupchak said Wednesday when he announced the O'Neal trade to Miami.

Yet despite all of this, on Wednesday Kupchak still had no idea what Bryant, the free agent, was going to do. The Lakers had dismantled a dynasty and restructured the entire franchise, and in return Bryant told them, "Let me get back to you."

Then he made the entire Laker Nation, that so desperately wants to trust him, fret while he strongly considered signing with the Clippers.

Yes, the freakin' Clippers.

Thursday Bryant wound up re-signing with the Lakers for seven years at $136 million, but not until he made them grovel, sweat and humiliate themselves in the process.

What a guy.

If Lakers owner Jerry Buss still had a modicum of self-respect he would have gotten sick over this soap opera and ? when Bryant still hadn't assured him he was going to re-sign ? pulled the plug on the Shaq deal.

He should have asked Shaq for forgiveness, rescinded his offer to Bryant and moved on with personnel that understand what being a Laker really means.

Instead he sold his soul and mortgaged the franchise on a me-first, team-third guy. A guy who displayed not a thought about what this pathetic cry for attention was doing to the people and fans who always have backed him up.

Did we mention that Bryant is scheduled to stand trial for felony sexual assault in Colorado beginning August 27, and a guilty verdict could end his playing career?

The Lakers have been one of the proudest and most storied franchises in sports. And Bryant used them like a desperate girlfriend.

The Lakers are better than this.

The thing with Bryant is that it's always about him. There is plenty to like about the guy, from the high-flying game to the high-wattage smile. There is little question he is among the game's five best individual talents, has a knack for crunch-time performances and at 25 still has plenty of peak years ahead of him.

But when it comes to playing nice with others, there is no similar track record of success.

He has been estranged from his parents. He's feuded with teammates and coaches. His first shoe company, adidas, was so fed up with him they dropped him as a spokesperson and let him go unimpeded to rival Nike.

Who knows where things stand with his wife right now?

And this is who the mighty Lakers rolled over for?

They should have been more careful about whom they wished for.

This is the same guy who never could understand that part of his brilliance was a result of playing with Shaq. Who doesn't care enough about winning to figure out a way to coexist with O'Neal and try for a couple more titles. Who never had a problem throwing a game offensively (even in the finals) if it meant proving a point to Phil Jackson.

Despite all of this, the Lakers had done everything they could by Wednesday to keep Bryant ? offering max money, changing coaches, dumping O'Neal, pleading and begging.

And in return, Bryant hung them out to dry for another sleepless, gut-wrenching night before grudgingly deciding to stay.

Heck of a guy.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

WTF are they doin' at Staples Center??????

Vlade Divac :yikes: 1 year at $5M...that's a lotta soup for this career flopper...maybe he needs Hollywood for his continued acting lessons...what a fucking mistake! I'm truly disappointed...

Each of the Laker broadcasters chided him for being such an actor...how do they look him straight in he eye and try to welcome him with open arms.... :no: say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
He can fill Shaq's shoes nicely...thats if they make a Kazaam 2...as for on the court, boy is Tim Duncan lickin his lips. For that matter even the likes of Michael Olowakandi and Adonal Foyle are psyched to play the Lakers now, should be able to put up 20-20 numbers consistently vs the Lakers front line.

the fancy hollywood fakers are in deeeeep deep trouble... i still see 'em as a playoff team this year... but barely.

minnesota, san antonio, dallas, sacramento, denver and houston are all better... so it's a three team race between the fakers, the grizzlies and the jazz, with the jazz likely to be the odd man out.

ladies and gentleman... the happiest man on the face of the earth (and no... i'm not talking about shaq)
shaq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom