Artist Index: a-z

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
Allow me to steal an idea from another MB, if I may

I think it's a pretty good idea.

people are always asking about new music to get into so it might be cool to compile a database sort of thing.

We'll start at A and whoever wants to put down a band or singer starting with that letter, may do so. You can just put down the name or even give a brief sentence on why they are good.

then in a day or two I'll give the signal to move to B

when its over we'll have a list of bands which can be referred to if somebody wants to get into something new.
and we all have a great taste in music so it should be fairly reliable ;)
maybe its a stupid idea! I just thought I'd give it a try :wave:

Anyway, just to start off...

-------------

Aphex Twin
Adams, Ryan
Air

----

last names count in a solo artist

oh yeah, and feel free to name a band more than once if it is already mentioned

Ash!

actually I dont know much about them, just their new single Burn Baby Burn and the fact that they've been getting rave reviews for about six months now. I have such a soft spot for punk, it's sad really :D

A is for...

ASH - i'll second that nomination, i only have Free All Angels (album,2001), but i love their tuneful punk sensibilities too.

India.ARIE - i have her debut album, Acoustic Soul, and its a good set of wistful, faith-based R&B songs.

:wave:

BFN.

Air, Aphex Twin
*AT THE DRIVE IN* - grreeat stuff!
Afro Celt Sound System

ash - A life less ordinary is an awesome song

Ash suck i saw tim wheeler in town once what a pr*ck!!!

Rick the drummer is nice once my friend made him a cup of tea and he wrote a wee autograph saying "thanks for the cuppa...rick"

LOVE At the Drive in
A
(The) Ataris
Alanis Morissette
ABBA :wave:
Aimee Mann
American head charge
A Perfect Circle
Air

A Certain Ratio (everyone should see 24 Hour Party People. Excellent movie...)

Adverts, The (with a hit single like 'One Chord Wonders,' how can you go wrong?)

Attractions, The (ECostello would have been nothing without them)

Alfie

I will second:

Fiona Apple - Ever heard Never is a Promise?
or her rendition of Across the Universe On e of the few Beatles covers that I actually enjoyed)

Air - Moon Safari (Kelly Reach the Stars)

Bryan Adams - Yes, as cheesy as he is...sometimes you just need to hear that little raspy voice.

Aslan, almost as big a Dublin band as U2:p Kinda!
They have that song that goes a little something like this, "How can I protect you in this.....craaaaaaaazyyyyyy world...........it's alright.......yeaaah...it's alriiiiight!" And they tour a lot around ireland, dunno if they ever tried the States, but they're fairly ancient round these parts.

Oops almost forgot a good one:

Avalanches, The

I'm sure others will come to me, and most likely too late ;)

Australia

Archie Roach

Andrew Pendlebury ( he was in the band "the Sports" . He has Kate Cebrano sing "Calling You" just beautiful.)

Andrew Durant
He was in an Australian band called "The Stars" in the 70's and wrote some great songs. His older brother is now a neighbour of mine and told me his story. Andy died from melanoma. He hardly ever went out in the day time, a dedicated touring muso. There is a live album called the Andrew Durant Memorial Concert. It was a great night, a good recording. So many Australian rock musicians of that era performed in his honour. His band mates, his dear friend mal eastick (great blues guitarist), jimmy barnes, renee geyer, richard clapton, it's a good album.I probably like it more 'cause of hearing about that night from his bro , before I heard the album. But it still stands the test of time.
Mal Eastick covered his last song "Ocean Deep" on one of his albums.

So "A" for Aussie......Archie, Andrew and Andy.

Beta Band
Big Wreck
Buckley, Jeff :drool:
the Boards of Canada
Badly Drawn Boy :up: :up:

B is for.....

BLUR - OK, not everything they've ever done is brilliant, but their album Parklife brilliantly captures something about life in Britain. If anyones ever heard their song To The End, then you'll know why i've put them here. An excellent singles band and Damon Albarn is a far smarter songwriter than a lotta people give him credit for.

KATE BUSH - i only own her Hounds Of Love album, but there are many musically beautiful moments on that album. For some reason it sounds as though it is a distant relative of U2's Unforgettable Fire album.

BJORK - an amazing understanding of stripping music down to its bare essentials and then still creating an amazing ethereal sound.

Thanks.:wink:

I've probably missed loads so......

yertle-the-turtle said:

A Tribe Called Quest

Ooh very nice call. Considering Low End Theory is one of my alltime fave albums, I can't believe i missed this...also add Apples In Stereo,Afghan Whigs, and ABBA, who could write a mean pop song.

B:

-Big Star
-Buzzcocks, The
-Bob Dylan (who i'm also listing for 'D'. People this good get listed twice ;) )
-Beck
-The Beach Boys
-Blur
-Beulah
-Badly Drawn Boy
-The Beatles (as everyone will have down...)
-Blondie
-The Band
-Bill Evans
-Billy Bragg
-Bjork
-Blackalicious
-Bonnie "Prince" Billy
-Brian Eno
-Bono!
-Buddy Holly
-Built to Spill
-The Byrds

i'll list more when they come to me...

Last edited:
I just re-read your initial parameters..BRIEF!BRIEF BRIEF!!! got it!! I hope

Jeff BECK - I LOVED his Blow by Blow album. I have only just realised my fave track"'cause we ended as lovers" is a cover of a Stevie wonder song....neat.

BONDI CIGARS - nationally touring Aussie blues band, top class.

BLONDIE - once had a love and it was a gas

BLUESBREAKERS - John Mayall was an early guitar hero of mine

LoNG JOHN BALDREY - Don't try to lay no boogie-woogie on the king of rock n roll.

BOWIE BOWIE BOWIE D.A.V.I.D Bowie...don't stay in a bad place, where they don't care how you are..EVERYONE says HI!!!

jack BRUCE - BBM

BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD- there you stood on the edge of a feather, expecting to fly...

John BUTLER Trio - a betterman

BB KING - the first international musician in cincert I ever saw......... the thrill is still right here, it ain't gone anywhere BB

Back
Top Bottom