Art vs fan-pleasing records? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:13 AM
i think it's great that bands can get to the point where they can experiment and push things, and i applaud radiohead for doing just that.

that doesn't mean i have to like the end result, or that i'm shallow or a dickhead for not liking it (i'm a dickhead for a bunch of other reasons...). it also doesn't mean that all experiments are triumphant. when you jump and reach sometimes you fall. badly.
so i guess what i'm saying is that bands should make the music they want to, especially if they can. and fans should like the music they like, hopefully the 2 coincide...

Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:13 AM
oh fan-pleasing, for sure!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:13 AM
I think it's about sincerity vs insincerity

The day you sit down and listen to a song you've written, where you know you poured your heart and soul into it, and then you hear it later and know that it doesn't fit the conventions of art as maybe you understand it or as most anyone else does, you know these defintions and notions of art are complete bullshit.

At this moment, the song is sincere and that's all that matters. Where you go from there determines a lot of things about how that song evolves and how it could be interpreted by those who may hear it.

It might not have any effect on how you or someone else enjoy the music or it may mean everything, ultimately you have to decide what you are listening to music for.

Personally, I want to be sincerely moved by music, progressive, artful or just 3 chord pop melody, it hardly matters. What I don't want is some insincere bullshit, that's where I draw the line. I don't know what the fuck art is, but I know that insincerity is certainly not art and I honestly think it comes across in the music.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
Personally, I want to be sincerely moved by music, progressive, artful or just 3 chord pop melody, it hardly matters. What I don't want is some insincere bullshit, that's where I draw the line. I don't know what the fuck art is, but I know that insincerity is certainly not art and I honestly think it comes across in the music.
(agrees)
Old 06-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #20
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:13 PM
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Yeah - I agree with the sincere effort theory. I think some artists in the later stages of their careers will put out anything just as an excuse to tour because of the high profit margin of touring. I won't mention names (no, not U2) , but these usually are artists that are well past their prime. And the fans couldn't care less about hearing the latest material - they attend the concert mainly to hear the classic hits from that artist. So, the tour becomes win-win for (almost) everybody, while the new album is somewhat insincere.