Art in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
So I've just returned from Chicago--my first (gasp!) trip there ever--where I saw some amazing art. So for all you Chicagoans or anyone planning to visit this summer, I highly recommend:

the Gerhard Richter show at the Art Institute (http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/gerhardrichter.html)--it just took my breath away

and the Andreas Gursky show at MOCA (http://www.mcachicago.org/)

Now I understand why everyone loves Chicago. As a recovering New Yorker myself, I expected it to be (don't yell at me for this) kind of like New York only not as good, but it is a completely different kind of city. Different vibe, different people...I totally loved it.

Go see those shows! I see a lot of art trhough my work and so much of it leaves me cold...but these two shows blew my mind.

Thanks for the info. I was telling my sister to bring me to the Chicago Peace Museum last year, but we couldn't find it. Anyway, am looking forward to see other museums the next time I visit...probably in August.;)

I find it hard to compare New York City to anything else in the world. Especially living or growing up in the area.

Chicago is awesome - and hope to move there - maybe. The Institute is great. Love going there to see the new exhibits everytime I am down there. And then there is the architecture. Especially with all of Wright's cronies.

yum, Chicago. Countdown to visit is on for me.

zonelistener said:
And then there is the architecture. Especially with all of Wright's cronies.

I wanted to take the architecture boat tour but ran out of time because I had to make an urgent trip to Lori's shoestore in Lincoln Park which someone had told me about. Because I am basically shallow and love shoes more than architecture and they had these amazing Prada knock-offs in blue and brown suede and a sale on handbags and I live in the desert now and can't find this shit here and and and well that was all she wrote. :p

went to school in Chicago for a year and then moved to NYC. Both have great art museums-- I miss the Art Institute in Chicago but at least I have some great places here to make up for it.

I would say Chicago is a midwest version of NYC. Not better or worse-- just different.

I've only seen their work through books and reproductions. Anyone who has the chance to see the real works ought to grab the opportunity.

foray

zonelistener said:
I find it hard to compare New York City to anything else in the world.

So true. I sometimes see NY as an entirely different country altogether. ;) I'd love to move there someday.

Chicago is great too, though.

Back
Top Bottom