Arriving somewhere... but not here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
:combust:

Help! :help: I cannot stop listening to this song. As a result, I find myself not having the patience to sit through any other PT song. Sure, I do like Trains and Even Less too but I keep going back to Arriving. As for other new songs, forget it! I'm more interested in listening to Arriving... for the 736355427th time! :drool:

:help:

I'm serious by the way. Everything else seems to pale in comparison to this eargasmic experience.

Porcupine Tree is amazing. I've only got In Absentia and Deadwing though.

AMAZING SONG!!!
Such an underated band in North America. They should be played on FM Rock radio...especially the track "Fear Of A Blank Planet". Geez...no justice eh.

Arriving Somewhere is incredible. The slow, atmospheric build up, the intense middle, and then the release. Just incredible.

And yes, Lazarus is indeed one of the most beautiful songs ever. Zoots, at least break away from Arriving Somewhere long enough to listen to that one every now and then.

phanan said:
Zoots, at least break away from Arriving Somewhere long enough to listen to that one every now and then.

:lol:

Yeah I saw you guys raving about Lazarus and went and gave it a listen. Beautiful indeed. Now I'm extremely tempted to get my first PT album... either In Absentia, Deadwing or ...Blank Planet. :hmm:

the tourist said:
I have In Absentia and Deadwing and they're both pretty darn good.

Which one has more atmospheric soundscapes like Arriving Somewhere? :drool:

You know, I was thinking about it this morning... I know the reason why I'm head over heels in love with this song. It reminds me of the Unforgettable Fire... the song. Both are atmospheric, have a steady beat throughout and are just gorgeous! :heart:

Well it's hard to say.... I highly recommend both. I know that's no help. But I like In Absentia better, personally.

Ask Axver. He knows them a hell of a lot better than I do!

Listened to Arriving Somewhere on this thread's recommendation, my first ever lsiening to a Porcupine Tree track. Pretty stunning song, I adore the vocal and the chiming guitar reminds me of Gin Blossoms, though I doubt I could ever warm to that wee passage of metal, kinda ruins the atmosphere for me.

Gonna listen to Lazarus now, see if it lives up to this thread's hype. What others songs are regaarded as PT classic?

Zootlesque said:

Which one has more atmospheric soundscapes like Arriving Somewhere? :drool:

You know, I was thinking about it this morning... I know the reason why I'm head over heels in love with this song. It reminds me of the Unforgettable Fire... the song. Both are atmospheric, have a steady beat throughout and are just gorgeous! :heart:

Neither In Absentia nor Deadwing have many pieces that I would categorize as atmospheric. Arriving Somewhere happens to be the longest song between both of those albums and therefore is expansive enough to have atmospheric qualities. A couple of songs come close, such as Gravity Eyelids, but it's not on the level as Arriving Somewhere. The closing song on In Absentia, Collapse The Light Into Earth, is absolutey stunning, however.

As a whole, I prefer In Absentia over Deadwing, although they are both pretty damn even.

The newest album, Fear Of A Blank Planet, is excellent, and contains another long song in the same vein as Arriving Somewhere. It is called Anesthetize. It also has a build up beginning that really takes off in the middle portion. But the best part is the last five minutes or so. They harken back to their old days when they sounded like Pink Floyd...

Last edited:
intedomine said:
Listened to Arriving Somewhere on this thread's recommendation, my first ever lsiening to a Porcupine Tree track. Pretty stunning song, I adore the vocal and the chiming guitar reminds me of Gin Blossoms, though I doubt I could ever warm to that wee passage of metal, kinda ruins the atmosphere for me.

Gonna listen to Lazarus now, see if it lives up to this thread's hype. What others songs are regaarded as PT classic?

Reminds you of the Gin Blossoms? Not even close. :huh:

Lazarus should be more your cup of tea.

I'm thinking you should check out the Stupid Dream album, which was made before any metal influences began to creep into their music. It's probably their most accessible album from a casual listener's perspective. It's got excellent numbers such as Even Less, Piano Lessons, and Stranger By The Minute.

phanan said:
The closing song on In Absentia, Collapse The Light Into Earth, is absolutey stunning, however.

On my copy, that's the third to last song. There are two songs after it called Drown With Me and Chloroform.

Woohoo!!!! AutoTune and pinch harmonics and power chords oh my! Revolutionary!

If you like Arriving Somewhere and Pink Floyd, chances are The Sky Moves Sideways is an album you should really listen to. More recently, I'd probably give the nod to Deadwing - I'd say other songs on that album have similarly strong atmospheres, e.g. the title track and the closer.

Can someone link me to a couple tracks from these guys? I'd like to give 'em a chance, considering all the musically sane people on here that praise them :heart:

I think Deadwing is more atmospheric than In Abstentia. I was just listening to In Abstentia on my way to work this morning and I find I skip a few tracks here and there on that album. But I never skip any tracks on Deadwing.

Someone had mentioned that Porcupine Tree sounds a bit like Unforgetable Fire U2. I think that is very true. I swear Glass Arm Shattering could be a U2 song. Anyway, I love "Arriving Somewhere...". Its just a great song!!

I don't know that I would recommend Stupid Dream as a place to start for their atmospheric stuff. Its a good album, but a bit more poppy - I think.

My recommendation for Stupid Dream wasn't for atmospheric stuff. It was based on intedomine's comments regarding the dislike for the progressive death metal sequence in Arriving Somewhere, and how Stupid Dream might be a better album for him to check out.

^
Sorry Phanan,

I just read the replies to this topic quickly at work to get the gist. I always try to help out whenever there are Porcupine Tree questions.

Back
Top Bottom