Argh, what language is this in then??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always had a problem looking for dutch translation websites. They seem to always have every other language but dutch. :crack:

*looks for Salome :wink:

yep, that's dutch

I am yet to see a dutch - english translation device that makes any sense

Death_Bear, whad?

Thank you everyone, especially Slomey, but it remains unreadable, as you said. Why???? Is it in bastardised Dutch? I wanna read it! Now! Gee-yargh!

foray

well, basically, dutch doesn't really exist as a language
we just make up sounds to confuse foreigners
we all speak english

You seem to understand my Dutch just fine Slomey :mad:
Actually no, Popmartijn understands it better than you...says something about you huh?
:D

In the flesh hall in middelburg, a secular Gothic space where former flesh hung and nowadays, is this month a video installation hangs art of the Austrian see Martin Arnold. The artist acquired, according to reports, worldwide faam with its film assemblies composed from pictures of old hollywoodfilms. For the flesh hall Arnold made the installation ' Jeanne ' especially, in which he actress Ren?e Falconetti from the film The Passion or Joan or Arc (Carl thomas Dreyer, 1929) again to life bring:

She keeps closed its eyes and its mouth angles its downstairs. Minute-long them in gentle resignation, and then beats she remains the eyes slowly and wet at sky, its mouth angles curl carefully as if there hope shines. But it falls in, and its eyes close. Afterwards the tafereel repeats itself. Slow, time on time, without end.(the Volkskrant, 14 May 2002)

Nice try yertle!
Unfortunately, those translator thingie's often cannot translate the grammatical part. So I tried to make a rudimentary translation myself. It's still not 100% correct, but I think it does read a little better.:

In 'De Vleeshal' in Middelburg, a century-old Gothic hall where they used to hang meat and they presently show art, they show a video installation by the Austrian Martin Arnold this month. The artist acquired, according to reports, worldwide fame with his film assemblies composed of pictures of old Hollywood movies. For 'De Vleeshal' Arnold made the installation 'Jeanne', in which he brings actress Ren?e Falconetti, from the movie The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Thomas Dreyer, 1929), back to life again.

"She keeps her mouth closed and the corners of her mouth are pointing down. For minutes she stays in gentle resignation, and then her wet eyes slowly look up to the sky, the corners of her mouth carefully curl along, as if there is some hope. But then it falls back in, and her eyes close again. This sight repeats itself again. Slowly, time and again, without ending." (De Volkskrant 14 mei)

C ya!

Marty

Edit: BTW, do you also need a translation for 18 May? It'll take a bit longer, but I think I can manage it.

Last edited:
Hello,

Never mind asking for it, here's another rough translation. This time for the entry of 18 May.

Where artist, writer and art critic Dick Tuinder noted upon his visit to the exhibition of Marina Abramovic in Montevideo - the Dutch Institute for Media Art - that "the majority of the visitors of the current exhibition constisted of late middle-aged women. Peers of the artist in sex and generation," did I mainly see many young, hip women, maybe even girls, of which I suspected they are part of a new generation of performance or video artists.

Much is to learn for that new generation from Abramovic: total surrender, extreme consequences and self sacrefice - almost all which makes an artist a good artist. While compiling the recent overview of 30 years of video art in the Netherlands the Montevideo and Abramovic thus discovered "that she, the Yugoslavian woman who ended up in the Netherlands by coincidence and love, was the only constant in that part of history." Montevideo shows an overview of this constant, among which a dozen video's by Abramovic and Ulay, but also more recent performances:

"Performances where Abramovic is dancing the mambo on magnetic shoes. The visitor can join in, with a light feeling in the head and feet glued to the floor. But there are also 120 singing monks, who will cover you in singing, and frantic dancing men in the installation The Hunt. And there is the installation Spirit House, where you walk past an Abramovic who's dancing the tango, using a whip on her back until it bleeds and breathing in a bath of ice. Abramovic is still extreme. She's still creating performances you cannot imagine." (De Volkskrant, 1 May 2003)

OK, back to work now...

Marty (who hasn't proof-read his translation, so he's not responsible for any problems resulting from a faulty translation :p)

Very cool, very cool, Popmartijn. Thank you eternally! Ideally, I would have liked for the whole page (or even website) to be translated into English. There must be some search engine out there that can do this. Ah well. I will content myself with the English sections and links for now. The notes on art here are fascinating; this person must be viewing new art at least once a day or something. It's amazing. I wanna live in Amsterdam, too.

foray

Yesterday I read/heard that there are too few organ donors in the Netherlands, or at least that there are too few donated organs available. The reason? Too few accidents happen in the Netherlands where people die. We're living too safe.
Which of course has to do with the good babies we make. :sexywink:

C ya!

Marty

"I hate the dutch!!!!"
not me.. it was Nigel Powers (father of Austin "danger is my middle name" Powers :D).. one of my best friend is dutch :hug:
and she comes over son :happy:

ok that was random.. sorry

Back
Top Bottom