Are you ready for some football? The official 2004-05 NFL Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Bum bum bum bum... da dum da dum... (that's supposed to be the MNF musical intro incase you were donering)

Kickoff is tonight... 9:10EST... Colts @ Pats in a rematch of the AFC Championship game...

Prediction Time...

List your winners in the following categories...

Division Winners
AFC

East:
North:
South:
West:
Wild cards (x2):

NFC
East:
North:
South:
West:
Wild cards (x2):

AFC Champ:
NFC Champ:
Super Bowl Champ:

Coach of the Year:
Offensive MVP:
Defensive MVP:
Offensive rookie of the year:
Defensive rookie of the year:
Breakthrough Season:
Most Overrated Player:

Favorite Team:

Let's get it on!

Last edited:
Division Winners
AFC

East: New Engalnd Patriots
North: Baltimore Ravens
South: Indianapolis Colts
West: Denver Broncos
Wild cards (x2): Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets

NFC
East: Philadelphia Eagles
North: Green Bay Packers (by accident... this division blows)
South: Carolina Panthers
West: Seattle Seahawks
Wild cards (x2): St. Louis Rams, New Orleans Saints

AFC Champ: Baltimore Ravens
NFC Champ: Carolina Panthers
Super Bowl Champ: Baltimore Ravens

Coach of the Year: Brian Billick, Baltimore Ravens
Offensive MVP: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
Defensive MVP: Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
Offensive rookie of the year: Roy Williams, Detroit Lions
Defensive rookie of the year: Jonathan Vilma, New York Jets
Breakthrough Season: Joey Harrington, Detroit Lions
Most Overrated Player: Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons

Favorite Team: New York Giants

Re: Re: Are you ready for some football? The official 2004-05 NFL Thread.

Division Winners
AFC

East: New Engalnd Patriots
North: Baltimore Ravens
South: Tennesee Titans
West: Kansas City Cheifs
Wild cards (x2): Indianapolis Colts, Cinncinnati Bengals

NFC
East: Philadelphia Eagles
North: Green Bay Packers
South: Atlanta Falcons
West: Seattle Seahawks
Wild cards (x2):Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers

AFC Champ: New England Patriots
NFC Champ: Washington Redskins
Super Bowl Champ: New England Dynasty

Coach of the Year: Jim Mora, Jr Atlanta
Offensive MVP: Michael Vick, Atlanta
Defensive MVP: Tedy Bruschi, New England
Offensive rookie of the year: Lee Suggs, Cleveland
Defensive rookie of the year: Vince Wilfork, New England
Breakthrough Season: Willis McGahee, Buffalo
Most Overrated Player: Tie: Peyton and Eli Manning

Favorite Team: Dynasty

Division Winners
AFC
East: Patriots
North: Ravens
South: Colts
West: Chiefs
Wild cards (x2): Bills, Broncos

NFC
East: Redskins
North: Vikings
South: Saints
West: Rams
Wild cards (x2): Seahawks, Panthers

AFC Champ: Patriots
NFC Champ: Vikings
Super Bowl Champ: Patriots

Coach of the Year: Mike Tice
Offensive MVP: Tom Brady
Defensive MVP: Jevon Kearse
Offensive rookie of the year: Julius Jones
Defensive rookie of the year: Sean Taylor
Breakthrough Season: Josh McCown, Arizona
Most Overrated Player: Micheal Vick and both Mannings

Favorite Team: Brady bunch

I don't know from Division this and Wild Card that, but I do know one thing: THE CATS ARE FOR REAL!!! GO PANTHERS!!!! :wink:

stupid idiot kicker :wink:

hasn't everyone learned since the Giants 49ers fiasco a few years back to just kick the field goal on third down, just in case you screw up? with no timeouts, dungy's gotta sent in the kicker on third... tie the game go to overtime. new england's "vaunted" defense hasn't stopped ya all game... if not for turnovers, the colts woulda won in a blowout... so just take the tie and go for OT. but nooooo... go for the TD, get sacked, make the stupid idiot kicker have to kick a 49 yarder in the leftovers of a hurricane. smart coaching let me tell ya...

ponderous... f'ing ponderous

Last edited:
willie mcginist coming up HUGE again against these bastards

and i agree, too many things could have gone wrong with the 4th down kick besides the fact he flat out missed... should the pats have NOT called a time out the colts would have been rushing onto the field, might not have set up right, etc...

just take the sure thing and dont force it.

3 turnovers in the red zone and a botched end to the game... tony dungy at his best, yet again.

looks like the colts are in for another 12-4 season before being bounced in the AFC Title Game.

as for the pats... yes, mcginist came up huge with that sack on manning with time running out. but besides that, the colts did whatever they wanted. if they could just hold on to the damn ball the last play wouldn't have mattered 'cause they would have been up by at least a touchdown. i wouldn't go crazy about the pats D just yet, 'cause the colts offense is rediculous (despite the feelings of most in here that peyton is over-rated)... but two years ago they missed the playoffs 'cause they couldn't stop the run... just a point of concern...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
stupid idiot kicker :wink:
Maybe he was "all liquored up" :wink:

As for the game and your analysis...the Pats need to work on the run D thats for sure, but to say the Colts would have blown them out without turnovers is preposterous. First off, TO's are part of the game, Bruschi baited Peyton's place into that throw on the first series and Ty Warren's pressure up the middle forced him to throw off tyhe back foot.
The Colts' D was pretty awful as usual, had Vandy made the kick, the Pats would have won in OT if they got the ball first anyway. As for dumb coaching, the genius duo of Belichik and Weis almost had some serious 'splaining to do themselves. 2nd and 5, 2:08 to go, Colts just burned their last timeout, Corey Dillon just ripped off a 5 yd gain, so drop back and look deep, Brady gets stripped, thankfully Dillon falls on the fumble. Now you're forced to throw on 3rd down, and punt back with 1:45 on clock. If you run on 2nd and 3rd down, the worst thing is you don't make the 1st down, punt (from 10 yds better field position) the ball back with about 1:10 on the clock. If Dillon gets 5 yds on 2 carries( he averaged 5.4ypc), the game is over.
Coupled with a boneheaded attempt to fair catch a punt from 10 yards away from the ball by Deion Branch , the Pats gave the Colts plenty of opprtunity to steal a game, but as usual, the combo of Dungy and Manning just can't seal the deal in big games.

Hewson said:
Maybe he was "all liquored up" :wink:

As for the game and your analysis...the Pats need to work on the run D thats for sure, but to say the Colts would have blown them out without turnovers is preposterous. First off, TO's are part of the game, Bruschi baited Peyton's place into that throw on the first series and Ty Warren's pressure up the middle forced him to throw off tyhe back foot.

we'll have to agree to disagree here... 3 times in the red zone... even if i give ya the bruschi INT, and even if i give ya that it wouldn't have been a blowout... if edge james holds on to the ball, the colts win.

we knew the colts D stunk... we didn't know that the pats D would stink too. but alas, it's only week 1.

overall... the pats were not very impressive, while the colts were the same old colts... able to go up and down the field on anyone, but unable to get the job done when it counts the most.

Last edited:
Ahh hell, I'll even put the divisions in standing order, cause I'm so damn cocky. :wink:

Division Winners
AFC
East: New England/Miami/New York/Buffalo
North: Baltimore/Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Cincinnati
South: Indianapolis/Tennessee/Jacksonville/Houston
West: Kansas City/San Diego/Oakland/Denver
Wild cards (x2): Pittsburgh/Miami

NFC
East: Philadelphia/Washington/New York/Dallas
North: Green Bay/Minnesota/Detroit/Chicago
South: Carolina/Tampa Bay/New Orleans/Atlanta
West: St. Louis/Seattle/San Francisco/Arizona
Wild cards (x2): Washington/Tampa Bay

AFC Champ: Indianapolis
NFC Champ: Philadelphia
Super Bowl Champ: Indianapolis

Coach of the Year: Joe Gibbs
Offensive MVP: Peyton Manning
Defensive MVP: Jevon Kearse
Offensive rookie of the year: Julius Jones
Defensive rookie of the year: Sean Taylor
Breakthrough Season: I will hope Josh McCown from Arizona, cause he's on my fantasy football team
Most Overrated Player: Eli Manning

Favorite Team: Philadelphia

overall... the pats were not very impressive,
Here it begins again...last year as Nov and Dec rolled around and the Pats win streak grew, I repeatedly heard how they were "not so impressive", 'lucky", "just barely winning" etc. With the exception of stomping Beefalo 31-0 in a synergistic rematch, the Pats didn't blow out too many opponents last year, yet won 15 straight and the Super Bowl...oh yeah but they only won the Super Bowl by 3 points, not that impressive.
When they lose, then we'll talk about their shortcomings, but when they beat a team that many pundits have declared a SuperBowl favorite, its the end result that matters, not the means.

They sure weren't that impressive last night, really. The Colts moved almost at will on them and would have beaten them by 2 or 3 touchdowns if not for their own ineptitude, 3 red zone turnovers including a fumble at the goal line. This is the curse of the Colts Vs. Pats. It's weird. But I do not believe the Pats are a better team.

and if I had a dollar for every time John Madden ranted on about how Brady was always calm in the pocket, doesn't see the pressure, everyone else gets rattled but not him, over and over and over, I swear I'd be able to follow the band around the world next year. If he can't think of anything to say for more interesting commentary I'd rather see him hang it up.

actually, I think Madden is right on about Brady. He doesn't seem to get happy feet or anything sitting there in the pocket.

Put him behind, say, the offensive line of the Bears or Jets...and it may be a different story. :D

I enjoyed the game last night. Bummed to see E. James drop a few, but overall enjoyed the game.

Hewson said:
Here it begins again...last year as Nov and Dec rolled around and the Pats win streak grew, I repeatedly heard how they were "not so impressive", 'lucky", "just barely winning" etc. With the exception of stomping Beefalo 31-0 in a synergistic rematch, the Pats didn't blow out too many opponents last year, yet won 15 straight and the Super Bowl...oh yeah but they only won the Super Bowl by 3 points, not that impressive.
When they lose, then we'll talk about their shortcomings, but when they beat a team that many pundits have declared a SuperBowl favorite, its the end result that matters, not the means.

lets calm down there slugger... even a pats fan like yourself can't say they were overly impressive. i love tom brady... would love for him to be my quarterback. he rarely makes mistakes, doesn't do the spectacular but does the routine better than anyone else. he doesn't get rattled by the pressure, and there's no other guy i'd want with the ball in his hands down 6 with 2 minutes to go.

corey dillon was very impressive last night.

their defense on paper is also very impressive, and i do expect them to go 11-5 or 12-4 this year, and likely compete for a spot in the super bowl once again. but last night they looked far from super bowl quality. if that was a super bowl caliber performance last night by the pats, then i don't ever wanna hear another ill word towards peyton manning or the colts... because if the pats were super bowl caliber last night, then the colts sure as hell were also.

that being said, if i had to pick three teams with the best chance of winning it all, you're damn right new england would be amongst those three, despite the fact that they didn't exactly play like world beaters last night.

and while we're on the subject of things we're tired of... i'm a little tired of everyone knocking eli manning and calling him "over-rated." how about we let him play, ummm i dunno, maybe 1 NFL snap before we start making that evaluation. if he's a bust, he's a bust. but shit let him play a few games first.

Last edited:
zoney! said:
actually, I think Madden is right on about Brady. He doesn't seem to get happy feet or anything sitting there in the pocket.

Put him behind, say, the offensive line of the Bears or Jets...and it may be a different story. :D

I enjoyed the game last night. Bummed to see E. James drop a few, but overall enjoyed the game.

i agree with zoney... not often i can say those words, so cherish the moment while you can. :wink:

I didn't say it wasn't accurate, I only said he needn't say it 27 times in one night, and if he can't think of anything different to say, his days as a commentator should be winding down. But then again Brady is such a bland and boring subject compared to most NFL stars, I guess a person would run out of ideas.

I'd LOVE to play the pickem and predictions NFL game, but I do not feel like dealing with the stress and aggravation that comes from my posts being shadowed and picked at by a certain poster. It would be fun though!

Last edited:
turnovers are a major part of the game, and good teams are able to force them.

the run d must be improved, but it got better after that drive where the colts had 9 plays all runs for a TD i believe. for once i think madden's analysys was right on when he was pointing on why the colts were running at will- starting with traylor being pushed out of position entirely. later on he was able to make a few good plays, so hopefully he can do that every time.

and brady's better than manning :wink:

and yes, the pats d is supposed to be great, but lets not forget they played one of the top offenses in the league last night.

even with ty law hurting, they really shut down harrison. for whatever reason, stokely was the one to put a hurt on em.

StlElevation said:
turnovers are a major part of the game, and good teams are able to force them.

I have always felt that a REALLY great team was able to win without relying on the 'gimmes'- gimme touchdowns (like a 10 yrd. int. or fumble return) and gimme field position, or just the lucky breaks that the other team drops the ball when they are ready to score. Growing up we always called those kinds of teams 'scab offs'. The REAL good teams are able to blow people away on their own and the score is so lopsided that even if a turnover or 2 did occur it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome of the game. Examples are some of the 80's Redskin and 49er teams. Ironcially enough, the Redskins lost a Super Bowl because they gave up 'gimmes' to the Raiders, after having blown people out with sheer power by 20 points or more a game all year. I also believe most turnovers, by anyone, are not so much 'caused' and just happened because of someone's momentary lack of concentration or ineptitude.

I'm a proud Patriot, Cowboy and Raider hater from my early days (I remember Steve Grogan and Ken Stabler.) There is now a rule in place caused by Stabler. He used to 'fumble' in purpose, then a teammate would know where to be to scoop it up and advance it. That's why now only the player who fumbled the ball can advance it in the last 2 minutes of the game :yes: Oooh an the stickem too. That was dirty. Okay rant over.

and while we're on the subject of things we're tired of... i'm a little tired of everyone knocking eli manning and calling him "over-rated." how about we let him play, ummm i dunno, maybe 1 NFL snap before we start making that evaluation. if he's a bust, he's a bust. but shit let him play a few games first.

Well you're the one with the man-crush. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom