Are you ready for some football? The official 2004-05 NFL Thread. - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #226
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:13 AM
i'll bite

-Steelers 21, Jets 17
-Rams 34, Falcons 21
-Healty Moss- Vikings 30, Eagles 13
-Hurt Moss- Eagles 13, Vikings 10
-Peat Moss- Eagles 2, Vikings 0
-No Blizzard- Colts 41, Pats 34
-Blizzard- Pats 17, Colts 14

Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

No blizzard...long range forecast is sunny with a high of about 31.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #228
Blue Crack Addict

Is there ANY chance of T.O. playing?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

He's out. He may be back for the Super Bowl if the Eagles get that far.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #230
Blue Crack Addict

Then I might go with the Vikes!(IF Moss can run!)
Old 01-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #231
Blue Crack Distributor

if it's 31 and sunny, i'm deffinetly going with the colts... but once again, no money will be placed on that... wacky things happen up in that stadium there. wacky things.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #232
Blue Crack Addict

Another thing to consider is the officiating, a bad call here and there can throw an important game, any of them.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #233
Refugee

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i'll bite

-Steelers 21, Jets 17
-Rams 34, Falcons 21
-Healty Moss- Vikings 30, Eagles 13
-Hurt Moss- Eagles 13, Vikings 10
-Peat Moss- Eagles 2, Vikings 0
-No Blizzard- Colts 41, Pats 34
-Blizzard- Pats 17, Colts 14
Randy Peat? I didn't know he was still playing..
Old 01-12-2005, 06:58 AM   #234
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Another thing to consider is the officiating, a bad call here and there can throw an important game, any of them.
no one or two plays ever make or break a game...

case in point... eric barton. he "cost" the jets the game with that stupid penalty...

... or not. the chargers still had to win the game, and they couldn't.

then... the 12 year old kicker cost the game for the chargers...

... or not. the jets were exhausted, and if marty "i choke for food" schottenheimer would have actually attempted to score a touchdown, they probably could have, and the chargers would be advancing.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:22 AM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation

to be honest, its freeny i worry about the most.

Well, according to reports today, they are saying that Mathis is most likely out for Sunday's game. If that's the case, the Pats' full attention will be on Freeney.

I thought the Pats' offense was going to have a big day already, but if Mathis doesn't play, I really expect it now.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

no one or two plays ever make or break a game...

I've seen it happen, especially with a series of phantom holding calls that take a team out of scoring range and change the momentum of the game.

Did you see the 1995-96 Colts-Steelers AFC Championship game?

I forget the names now but I have it on tape if I can find it. I wish I could make screen caps! These 2 calls changed the game:

A Steeler caught the ball with both feet on the white strip at the back of the end zone. It was ruled a touchdown, though even the announcers were horrified. There was no instant replay challenge that year (I think it had a hand in bringing it back)

Late in the game, with the Steelers behind, a reciever caught a long pass at the 2 though he clearly came down out of bounds- again even the announcers were appalled at the call. Sure enough the Steelers scored a touchdown that proved to be the game winner.

Both those plays were showed over and over and there was no doubt they were wrong. The game was of course in Pittsburgh. For years, every time I mentioned to someone I was a Colts fan the first thing they'd say was, 'oh, man, remember that Championship game, that was the worst bullshit officiating I've ever seen, you guys were totally robbed!' These people were not even Colts fans but it stuck out in their minds because it was so bad. It is legendary.

After all that in the end the Colts had one more chance with a Hail Mary. It landed on the stomach of Aaron Bailey and if he had touched it perhaps they'd have called a game winning touchdown. But he let it roll off! This leads people I know to refer to that as the 'Wonderwall' play, 'today was gonna be the day but they'll never throw it back to you...'

One other notable game- in the '75 Dallas-Minnesota Championship game, Drew Pearson blatantly pushed off on his run to the game winning touchdown. Vikings players and coaches on the bench said it was so bad when they saw him catch and run they weren't even concerned because they were so sure it would be called back! I also wonder how much of Dallas' '90's 'glory' might not have been there had officials called Michael Irvin for his many many pushoffs!

Bad calls CAN and do cost teams games, but the one thing that I never thought was fair was blaming the kicker for a miss in the last seconds. It's not all his fault, had the offense scored a touchdown he wouldn't have had to be called on, if the defense had stopped the other team once when they scored there would be no need for the kick, losing is a team effort just like winning. Yet the kicker bears the stigma for life.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:50 AM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
but the one thing that I never thought was fair was blaming the kicker for a miss in the last seconds. It's not all his fault, had the offense scored a touchdown he wouldn't have had to be called on, if the defense had stopped the other team once when they scored there would be no need for the kick, losing is a team effort just like winning. Yet the kicker bears the stigma for life.
What if that missed kick is a PAT?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #238
Blue Crack Distributor

teams that blame the refs never win championships... maybe that's the colts problem.

no one or two plays/calls/etc. makes or breaks a game... period.

everyone thinks the pats haven't been as good as they seem to have been over the past few years because they "always get the breaks/calls." well... you make your own damn breaks.

you talk about how the kicker shouldn't be blamed because the offense could've scored more, or the defense could've held the other team from scoring? well what's the difference between a kicker missing a field goal and a ref making a bad call?

i remember watching the colt-steelers game you're talking about, but i don't remember the specific plays... all i remember is jim harbaugh vs. neil o'donnell, and i remember the hail mary... that's it. not being a fan of either team, i don't remember the details as well as you, so i'll use a more recent example instead...

177 plays were run durring the jets vs. chargers game. 177 plays, 11 drives for each team. let's say that the eric barton play was a bad call... it wasn't, it was a clear penalty, but for arguements sake let's say it was a bad call. jet fans would be up in arms saying that a ref cost them the game. but not so... the jets had 11 seperate drives where they could've scored, and 11 opportunities to stop the chargers. if the jets had performed better earlier in the 4th, the last play wouldn't have mattered. if the chargers hadn't waited until the 4th quarter to finally start playing to their ability, the last play wouldn't have mattered. when you have 177 different plays, to say that one play COST the game is simply not true. if the execution was crisper earlier in the game, the late bad call doesn't matter. if the execution and preparation in PRACTICE leading up to the game was crisper and cleaner, leading to crisper and cleaner play in the game, then the last bad call doesn't matter.

the only way that a bad call makes a difference in a game is if both teams play 100% perfect games, without making a single mistake... which is impossiable.

this is exactly why the Pats have been so succesful under mad genious bill. their game preparation is flawless. they are so confident in their abilities that they don't allow bad calls to effect their psyche.

look at the sacramento kings in basketball. they've had some great teams over the past few years, yet they've never been able to get to the nba finals. not once. it's not a coincidence that they complain about every damn call the refs make. they let a bad call effect them. that's why they're not a great team.

blaming a bad call or series of bad calls is simply an excuse fans and losing teams use. in reality, there are hundreds of other things that could have been done to effect the overall outcome of the game, making the bad call insignificant.

even in the example you yourself presented... if the colts score on that last play, the "bad calls" don't matter. this is why you never see the teams that win complaining about bad calls, even though bad calls are obviously made against them, as well as for them.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:54 AM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

Once again, Headache proves his genius, despite his Red Sox hatred.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #240
Blue Crack Addict

But one less 'bad call' and the winner of the game could be different. If the Steelers had gotten a field goal instead of a TD on that first bad call, and not moved the ball on the last TD drive (the questionable call was a very long pass, if it were incomplete their drive may have stopped right there, without even a FG) then the Colts would have won and Bailey's end zone blooper wouldn't have mattered. You can try as hard as you can, but when the officials screw you at every turn there's only so much you have time to overcome.