Are you ready for some football? The official 2004-05 NFL Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
the steelers are gonna get blown by whoever wins the pats-colts game.
I hope you meant the Steelers are gonna get blown out, not blown...besides since Peyton lost, the blown option is out the window.:wink:

And for all you around the country let me just introduce you to a man named Tedy Bruschi, somehow not a pro bowler (though will likely end up as a replacement for Ray Lewis), that my friends is what a football player should be.

Chizip said:
its kind of like how the league wanted the patriots to win the superbowl after 9/11 to go with the whole patriotic theme

time to taste some of your own medicine there hewson
I never argued that fact, in fact I truly believed there was something to that, whther it was the league or otherwise, plus U2 playing halftime to me guaranteed that the Boston area team was a lock...of course the real deciding factor was one Mike Martz.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

it's nice how you're comming up with excuses for the pats before the game rather than afterwords... makes it a win win situation for ya, don't it?
Now please note my prediction made on Tuesday:
originally posted by HewsonPatriots 34 Colts 21
I wasn't making excuses, I always expected a win, I was just having my fun with the suddenly silent Colts fans (I would have been here this morning no matter what happened, congratulating Manning if the outcome had been different).

However, you and I both know the league would have loved Manning in the Superbowl this year after his 49TD season. And every national story this week was about Manning and the Colts, at times it was hard to tell who they were playing, and who the other 6 teams in the other 3 games were, cause after the Colts trounced Denver, all the pundits awarded them the Lombardi trophy.
Now the 2 teams who played best at the top of the each conference are left, as it should be.
Next Sunday should have 2 very intriguing games...Vick vs McNabb, and Philly's 4th straight attempt to reach the big one (Did you her Donovan McNabb refernce the Red Sox winning the WS as reason that this could be Philly's year?)...and 2 bruising teams smacking each other around in the snow in Ketchup Stadium, a physical game that will leave the winner glad there's 2 weeks before the Supebowl.

And for the record, here's my prediction:
Falcons 27 Eagles 20
Patriots 31 Steelers 13

Nothing worse than being bummed-out :sigh:AND hung-over:drunk:.....Congrats Pats...you have the heart of a champion.

speedracer said:

Perhaps, but it's not his fault that the Colts' receivers can't get open deep against a secondary consisting of three equipment managers and Bill Belichick's grandmother and that the Colts D gave up three scoring drives of 14+ plays.

this past game wasn't his fault by any stretch... but hey... sometimes ya just can't beat a team no matter what you do.

I love how Simmons has no idea what he's talking about. :wink:

With that field tarp bullshit, my distaste for the Patriots has now turned into unbridled eternal hatred. Congratulations for trying to cheat, New England! Now THAT'S the true heart of a champion right there. :up:

StlElevation said:
oh, the game the pats played without corey dillon?

the steelers are frauds. 15-1? regular season is out the window. was that one of the first games the pats played without ty law? yeah.

it took not one, but TWO, missed field goals by the jets for the squeelers to force ot.

rothlisburger sure looked great in the playoffs too. cant wait to see what he has next week against the pats or colts d.

oh, and i forgot to respond to this.

i love how you call the steelers frauds based on one game that you're clearly very bitter about losing, and yet you completely disregard 14 other wins and the greatest rookie qb season ever. like going 15-1 is one gigantic fluke.

my prediction for sunday:
Philadelphia 28 - Atlanta 17
Pittsburgh 31 - New England 14

my dream for sunday:
Pittsburgh 75 - New England 0 and tom brady throws an INT on every drive.

DaveC said:

With that field tarp bullshit, my distaste for the Patriots has now turned into unbridled eternal hatred. Congratulations for trying to cheat, New England! Now THAT'S the true heart of a champion right there. :up:
Dave, what the hell are you babbling about?
Trying to cheat?
C'mon get your facts straight or just sit and watch the CFL, and give up football discussion after the Grey Cup is decided.
The field was in fine condition...did you see any players slip, any chunks of sod ripping up?
Did the Colts (who love to complain as a rule) complain at all about the field conditions?
Trying to cheat...please. If you're gonna participate in these sports debates you really gotta come with stronger stuff than "Oh I hate those Patriots, since they always beat my beloved Peyton, they must be cheaters".

a game im bitter about losing? not really. all it did was lose the homefield for this sundays win in pittsburgh for new england.

big ben has been carried by his running game and D all season. shut down the bus, make ben throw and the steelers lose. plain and simple. theyre going to lose regardless, but rotlisberger is completely beatable and does not scare me for one second.

and yes, please come up with something better than new england are cheaters. did you see james randomly slip up at all en route to his 39 yards? or was it the fields fault that peyton couldn't do anything at all? yeaaaaaaaa

It doesn't matter if the field actually had an effect on the game.

It's the fact that they made an attempt. It's akin to writing up a cheat sheet for an exam, bringing it into the exam, not using it, and then getting caught with it after you've handed the exam in. the professor or the school isn't going to care whether you actually looked at it or not. it's the fact that you made the attempt to cheat, the principle of the matter, that really has the affect, and you can damn well bet you're going to get punished regardless.

C'mon get your facts straight or just sit and watch the CFL, and give up football discussion after the Grey Cup is decided.

You can get your own facts straight first, and realize that the Grey Cup game was months ago, and that the season's been over for ages. Secondly, the CFL sucks ass, and it's a pussy version of football. Thirdly, I take offense at you insinuating ignorance on my part (that goes for you too, JP). I like to think I know a little something about football. The fact that I'm Canadian does not preclude me from knowing about and watching the NFL, and that pissed me off more than anything, your assumption that because I'm Canadian that all I watch is CFL and know shit all about the NFL. I know a bit, you know. Personal attacks do not further your argument.

On that note, I will gladly bet both of you money on this game that the Pats are going to get beaten, and will mail you both money orders should I lose.

DaveC said:

It's the fact that they made an attempt. It's akin to writing up a cheat sheet for an exam, bringing it into the exam, not using it, and then getting caught with it after you've handed the exam in. the professor or the school isn't going to care whether you actually looked at it or not. it's the fact that you made the attempt to cheat, the principle of the matter, that really has the affect, and you can damn well bet you're going to get punished regardless.

If I may interject here...

I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at regarding the field tarp. Perhaps you don't know the entire story? Last Wednesday before the Colts game, the Patriots ground crew went ahead and re-painted the field, along with adding the NFL playoff logos, as per custom. The paint had not dried yet when the heavy rains came in later that day, and it was decided to leave the field uncovered. An official from the NFL then came up the next day, Thursday, to inspect the field and make sure all was well, and he reported that it was in excellent condition.

Later Thursday, with the field ready to go and all the paint dry, it was covered up due to more precipitation in the area. This was done at the choice of the Patriots, since teams are not obligated to cover up a field until 24 hours before game time.

And by the looks of how the game went, it appeared to me that the field held up very well, for both teams. I don't recall seeing anyone slipping.

So I don't know why you think they are cheating over something as trivial as a field, and can only surmise that you really dislike the Patriots in general and are just looking for any excuse to demean what they have accomplished these last few years...

phanan said:
So I don't know why you think they are cheating over something as trivial as a field, and can only surmise that you really dislike the Patriots in general and are just looking for any excuse to demean what they have accomplished these last few years...

Yep. That's pretty close. :up:

DaveC said:

See here's the problem...what did the Pats do to attempt to "cheat" as you put it? They did nothing wrong, the field was in fine condition, a Boston Herald photographer prints a picture of a piece of muddy sod nowhere near the playing surface and you and countless Colts' fans flip out. The Pats are under no obligation to cover the field under league rules until 24 hours before a game, yet they chose to cover it Friday just to preotect it further. Nobody on the Patriots did anything worng, a photographer played a game with the Colts' minds, it certainly seems to have worked on you.

You can get your own facts straight first, and realize that the Grey Cup game was months ago, and that the season's been over for ages. Secondly, the CFL sucks ass, and it's a pussy version of football. Thirdly, I take offense at you insinuating ignorance on my part (that goes for you too, JP). I like to think I know a little something about football. The fact that I'm Canadian does not preclude me from knowing about and watching the NFL, and that pissed me off more than anything, your assumption that because I'm Canadian that all I watch is CFL and know shit all about the NFL. I know a bit, you know. Personal attacks do not further your argument.
I am well aware of when the Grey Cup is played, hence I said "give up football discussion after the Grey Cup is decided", since you would therefore not be discussing it now. Its not a personal attack, its said strictly in jest, but obviously you fail to see that, I'm sorry. If you've paid attention to me for 4 years on this forum you'd know I always post this way, ask Headache and Zoney!, they get it. Don't take everything so seriously.

On that note, I will gladly bet both of you money on this game that the Pats are going to get beaten, and will mail you both money orders should I lose.
A. I don't want and need your money
B. There's no way to guarantee you'd send it, just like you have no guarantees I'd send it t you, so...
C. Lets just make it a friendly wager...if the Pats win, you post a 2 paragraph glowing admiration of Tom Brady, and admit he's better than Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger...if the Steelers win, I'll do similar for Roethlisberger and the Steelers. If you agree, answer prior to kickoff, if not, just enjoy the game.

Hewson said:
C. Lets just make it a friendly wager...if the Pats win, you post a 2 paragraph glowing admiration of Tom Brady, and admit he's better than Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger...if the Steelers win, I'll do similar for Roethlisberger and the Steelers. If you agree, answer prior to kickoff, if not, just enjoy the game.

You've got yourself a deal if you include Peyton in yours. :up:

I wish the AFC championship game was in Foxboro, not so the Pats had home field advantage (since I don't think that will matter anyway), but just to see how a game would work in a blizzard like the one we are having tonight and tomorrow. Sure, we had the Snow Bowl three years ago, but that really wasn't such a big storm. Not this time. Foxboro looks to easily get two feet. That certainly would have been a sight...

pats up 14 late in the 2nd quarter...

i'm looking forward to this essay...

*EDIT... up 21 late in the 2nd, with two picks by slightly above average in size ben.

get the only MVP in XFL history warmin' up on the sidelines and stick a fork in the hamburgelar... this one be over.

Last edited:
DaveC. must be spending a lot of time going through his thesaurus looking for alternatives to superior, incredible and unbelieveable so he has multiple adjectives to describe his new best buddy, Tom Brady.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom