are you ready for a new FOOTBALL THREAD?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
Time for a new one I feel.

Spurs just creeped through last night I thought. Didnt seem they did a great amount in the game but they held out well and Robinson made some good stops. Maybe he'll be selected for the final on sunday now? Nothing is certain I guess, especially when you look how Ramos blows hot and cold with him. He drops him one week, then brings him back and gives him the captains armband?!:huh:

Glad we don't chop and change so much at utd!:drool: :wink:

UEFA Cup 4th round coming up...

Tottenham Hotspur - PSV Eindhoven

Bayern München - RSC Anderlecht

Bayer Leverkusen - Hamburger SV

Fiorentina - Everton :drool: :drool:

Getafe - Benfica

Bolton Wanderers - Sporting CP

Olympique Marseille - FC Zenit St.Petersburg

Rangers - Werder Bremen

i am ready for a new football thread!

attachment.php

3062358.jpg

1530039.jpg

just thought i'd sneak my filthy propaganda onto the first page :wink:

All the Americans will think this is an American football thread now :( :sad: .

vaz02 said:

who cares, i think i would have personally throttled aarvark if he'd called this a "soccer thread"!

Some decent teams left in UEFA Cup, think Spurs & Everton have both got good chance to go further, Bolton might struggle against Sporting, but you never know, I didn't think they'd get past A. Madrid. Bayern V Anderlecht looks good tie also.

Whilst watching Utd v Lyon the other night, commentator mentioned French sports mag. had run 3 page article on Rooney, debating whether or not he's a GREAT player, didn't say what the outcome was, but personally I'd have to say NO, he's capable of great performances, and scoring spectacular goals, but at the moment I don't think he could be judged as a GREAT, & then if you go on to think about it some more, exactly how many GREAT players are there in WORLD football at the moment, IMO not many. Surely to be judged truly great they have to have been producing the goods at the highest level, league, & internationally, consistantly for a long time.

1stepcloser said:

who cares, i think i would have personally throttled aarvark if he'd called this a "soccer thread"!

So true lol !

Looks like bolton fans got a rough deal last night, foreign police really dont like us english.

vaz02 said:

The Americans just don't call it football. They call it the NFL, so there's no confusion.

Have fun with your Soccer thread. Haha!

Shame about the Gazza news. Looks like he's really hit rock bottom. I wasn't into football during Italia 90, but i'll never forget that goal he got against the Scots at Euro 96. Pure class.:up:

^ Thats my earliest memory of International football.
To be honest gazza has been rock bottom for quite sometime now:(

Hope we can make up some ground on Arsenal today by a win at Newcastle and a gunners slip up in Birmingham. They didnt look great against Milan so i'll hope they're still recovering from our 4-0 THRASHING last weekend!:rockon:

I have a horrible feeling about the game later though. There's nothing Keegan would like more than to have his first win this afternoon against utd. Surely we're gonna be too strong for them though. Who knows...maybe another 6-0 beating!:drool:

Or then again, with Keegan back...perhaps a 5-0 defeat!:sad:

Today's game with newcastle and united will be game of the season imo, 3-3 i predict.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3185899,00.html

Arsenal striker Eduardo da Silva suffered an horrific broken leg in the opening minutes of the Premier League clash with Birmingham.

The Croatia international was challenged by Birmingham's Martin Taylor in the third minute of the game at St Andrews with the centre-back being shown an immediate red card by referee Mike Dean.

Eduardo's clearly distressed team-mates immediately signalled to the sidelines that urgent attention was required and the game was held up for seven minutes as he received treatment on the field.

The injury was deemed to be so serious that replays of the incident were not shown on television.

Photographs of the challenge and the immediate aftermath suggest the injury is similar to the break suffered by Manchester United forward Alan Smith during their FA Cup defeat at Liverpool in 2006.

Eduardo is now facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines and is certain to miss the remainder of this campaign and Croatia's Euro 2008 challenge in the summer.

horrific challange. some of the pics i've seen are awful. don't suppose he'll be kicking a ball again for a while.

DaveC said:
Why is it necessary to have two threads discussing the exact same thing? :scratch:

The other one had gone way over the 500 posts limit - so I decided to take action! :whistle:

Glad that Wenger retracted his initial statement from after the game last night. I must've heard him say "this guy should never play football again" 4 or 5 times and it just kept sounding more and more silly. You can understand though I guess, he would've been extremely frustrated at the end of that game, with the end result aswell as Eduardo.
He does make me laugh though. "The first goal was not a freekick" Yes it was. He wrapped his body round him and blocked him off. Definate free kick. The penalty was a bit more of an issue. When you see the replay he did get the ball, but the ref only had a moment to decide from where he was stood.

1-5 against Newcastle. 11 goals in 2 games against them this season. Lovely stuff. Ronaldo and Rooney were excellent once again. I actually had to put my hands over my face and watch Keegan through my fingers when he gave his post match interview. I just feel so sorry for him! :hug:

I think the limit's about 1000 posts now if I'm not wrong.

You know, I've seen a lot of the pictures, but not the one that vaz posted, which probably illustrates it at its graphic worst. Awful what happened to Eduardo, hopefully he will come back like Cisse or Bullard or Alan Smith.

Felt for William Gallas a lot too, you could tell he really wanted to win for Eduardo by his reaction at the end.

Yeah my mate sent it me over msn, he floats around football forums.

How long do you think he be out for ? was tempted to bet on Croatia for Euro 2008 too before.

:sad: If i turned to United my best mate wouldnt stop laughing, he keeps going on about how great united are and he always does his crappy chants in class and it gets right on my tits.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom