are you ready for a new FOOTBALL THREAD?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the real reason you don't like moyes:

moyes_david_efc_profile_2006.jpg

1503026.jpg

He is in fact, a gargoyle.

.. And he's scottish.

5,000th post and i wasted it saying that.

Last edited:
intedomine said:

I do know that. That's why I said it makes it appear as if England are good at football, when that is anything but the truth, because they've all bought their way to such a position by snatching foreign talent.

If gun administrators like Platini and Blatter get their glorious way, a cap (hopefully 5 max) on the number of foreign players playing at all clubs in the world, the best footballing nations in the world will be better reflected (if not yet perfectly) in domestic leagues.

So wait a second...Spain and Italy have caps on the number of foreign players who can play in their leagues, but England doesn't? Isn't this blatant protectionism on the part of Spain and Italy?

2-1. I love it, and I love Wengers post match reaction - he thinks the whole of football is against him! Great free kick from Hargreaves and no game would be complete without a customary goal from Ronny.

Can't see Chelsea slipping up tonight, wednesday might prove tougher for them though, as will our game at Ewood Park on saturday. We have truly entered "squeaky bum time" now.

:tongue:

speedracer said:

So wait a second...Spain and Italy have caps on the number of foreign players who can play in their leagues, but England doesn't? Isn't this blatant protectionism on the part of Spain and Italy?

Spain has limits on non-EU players. which generally means players from south american and to a lesser extent, africa. Italy doesn't have any caps i don't think although the non-EU rule might apply there too. One of our italian posters might know.

Italy though, apart from Inter who barely have any italian players, is pretty much 70-80% made up of italian players which can only be good for their national team. henceforth look who won the world cup in 2006.

i'm just not sure if i can ever see a cap being introduced in england because of the money now and how powerful the big clubs are. i'm not too fussed on this issue because my club team is more important to me than my country but i would like to see england put up a fight for once at these tournaments rather than be subject to the pathetic displays of the last 10 years.

1stepcloser said:

because my club team is more important to me than my country but i would like to see england put up a fight for once at these tournaments rather than be subject to the pathetic displays of the last 10 years.

International football >>>> Club football

England need some quaity players first...

intedomine said:

International football >>>> Club football

England need some quaity players first...

villa are way more important to me than england are.

england do have quality players but not enough in the joe cole/wayne rooney bracket, i.e. technically world class. scholes is at that level too but sadly he retired. look at the spain team compared to england and they're bursting at the seams with players on a different technical level than ours, xavi, iniesta, fabregas, joaquin, torres. same goes for brazil and argentina too.

oh and our strikers are crap too.

England are far more important to me than Newcastle. I'd combust with excitment if England made it to the semi's of a major championship.

intedomine said:
Don't think there are any such caps. Real Madrid and AC Milan seen to be saturated in foreign talent

Inter Milan plays the field with ONE Italian player

1stepcloser said:

As sad as it sounds, i quite love the country united as One. Being a Newcastle fan in Manchester, im never surrounded by many geordie's so its always such a special occasion when England play.

And when England are succesful it brings a great smile to everyone's faces and you can start a convo with a stranger on the street.

Wigan, chelsea. Checkmate.

Should United fans crack open the bubbly yet ?

vaz02 said:

As sad as it sounds, i quite love the country united as One. Being a Newcastle fan in Manchester, im never surrounded by many geordie's so its always such a special occasion when England play.

And when England are succesful it brings a great smile to everyone's faces and you can start a convo with a stranger on the street.

fair enough.

i remember walking down the street in 2002 on my way to a pub to watch england vs argentina and i had an england flag wrapped round me and all these cars were driving past honking their horns and giving me thumbs ups. that kind of camaraderie is quite cool and unique to be fair. i'm gonna miss that this summer :(

^ pff dont remind me. The only way im gonna be forced to watch Euro 2008 is if i put bets on.

Im thinking Hunterlaar ( holland) as top scorer and Germany to win the whole thing. Im gonna bet on individual games too.

europop2005 said:

OLD Brazillians

Dida
Cafu
Serginho
Ronaldo
Emerson
Pato
Kaka
Digão ( kaka's brother )

thats 8 brazillians in their side.

Last edited:
I think Spain have easily the most talented squad for Euro 2008 but the question is whether they have the temperament to actually win something.

1stepcloser said:
I think Spain have easily the most talented squad for Euro 2008 but the question is whether they have the temperament to actually win something.

Ive always thoguht Spain have lacked that key ingredient for a few tournments but with Torres on fine form, maybe its there year. Same goes for Holland really.

Btw are we allowed to discuss betting on this forum ?

vaz02 said:

Ive always thoguht Spain have lacked that key ingredient for a few tournments but with Torres on fine form, maybe its there year. Same goes for Holland really.

Btw are we allowed to discuss betting on this forum ?

We do all the time in the baseball, basketball and American football threads. Who are you betting on?

Last edited:
don't see why not. don't ask me for tips though. my accumulators never come though. my horse at the grand national was in the top 3 before falling away at the 28th fence. the first time i bet on greyhounds my dog came 5th out of 5.

it's a mugs game. but quite enjoyable :wink:

1stepcloser said:

agreed. with england being a no-show, i think i'll be cheering for the spaniards.

would be nice to see gutti get a call up though.

Poland at 33/1 is pretty good, they barn stormed their group.

Sweden 25/1 , Kim Källström and Zlatan Ibrahimović can cause big problems and the swedish fans always get behind their team ( im gonna adopt this nation during Euro 2008).

Czech Republic 14/1, Always the dark horses. With Milan Baros and Jan KOller upfront they could easily be the tournments most sucessful double act, Tomáš Rosický and Petr Cech also class talent in the squad.

A safe bet would be Germany to win at 4/1, Lukas Podolski might even end up with the golden boot.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, if he gets the nod will be top scorer i think and im gonna slam a tenner on him. The odds on top scorers has been calculated yet until the teams have been selected so im gonna keep tabs on them.

vaz02 said:

Czech Republic 14/1, Always the dark horses. With Milan Baros and Jan KOller upfront they could easily be the tournments most sucessful double act, Tomáš Rosický and Petr Cech also class talent in the squad.

This could come back to bite me i'm totally ruling out the Czechs. Baros has been terrible since Euro 2004 and has pretty much made a living off the back of it. Koller is too old now and Nedved has retired i think. Rosicky is always injured and i don't think cech is quite the keeper he was since that horrific injury.

While we're on the subject of keepers might i just add another reason for Spain to win the cup could well be that they have, in my opinion, the best goalkeeper in the world. Everytime i watch Real Madrid, for all their attacking nous, Cassillas always stands out. scary that he's probably still got another 10 years or so at the top.

Zoomerang96 said:

agreed. with england being a no-show, i think i'll be cheering for the spaniards.

As loathed as I am to say it, i'm supporting Portugal. I have to get behind Ronaldo as he's been such a star this season. I hope he gets a winners medal this summer.

Aardvark747 said:

As loathed as I am to say it, i'm supporting Portugal. I have to get behind Ronaldo as he's been such a star this season. I hope he gets a winners medal this summer.

get behind ronaldo?? after his theatrics at the world cup??

as an england fan who's seen his team get beaten on penalties by portugal twice, the last team i'll be cheering on will be portugal.

1stepcloser said:

get behind ronaldo?? after his theatrics at the world cup??

as an england fan who's seen his team get beaten on penalties by portugal twice, the last team i'll be cheering on will be portugal.

yeah, exactly. in my case, i'll be cheering for everyone portugal comes against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom