Are you on an anti-depressant? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
View Poll Results: Are you on an anti-depressant?
Yes 16 25.40%
No 47 74.60%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Are you on an anti-depressant?

I haved talked a few people who post here who currently take them or have taken them. I have a feeling there are a lot of us.

It is a poll - so it is discreet (meaning, if you don't want to talk about, you can just put an answer in the poll - it isn't an offensive thread then, I think).

I took one for a few months about two years ago, so you know.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #2
She's the One
Local Time: 03:38 AM
The only prescription meds I take is an estrogen/testosterone pill every morning. A full-on, everything-out hysterectomy will do that to you.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:38 AM
I'm not, but there are times I probably should have been.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:39 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 10:38 AM
Originally posted by martha
The only prescription meds I take is an estrogen/testosterone pill every morning. A full-on, everything-out hysterectomy will do that to you.

I'm on hormones too Martha.
Into the heart of a child...
Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:38 AM
I was told by my doctor to go on zoloft, but I am hesitant to do so.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:14 AM   #6
The Fly
Local Time: 01:38 PM
I know many people in real life who are. I think they are being overprescribed and are becoming a cover-up for taking care of what's really causing our depression in the first place. You can't medicate away your problems or misery and sometimes it only makes it worse. I have been told I need them (by these people who take them) but I'm not going on them. I'm afraid of what it would do to me.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:38 PM
Im not, but I have been previously. I was on Cipramil last year (I think its called Celexa in the USA). The Chemical Safety Officer at my work drew a little diagram to work out its construction and declared it was mostly Ecstasy with a weight on it so I didnt actually get high. Go figure.

Good stuff though. Im a believer in short term antidepressant use, where necessary
Old 03-27-2004, 06:39 AM   #8
Jesus Online
Local Time: 09:38 PM
Can we not move this to Confessionals? This area gets more traffic. Interesting thread Zoney.

I dont know if I agree with you Lilac, sorry to turn this into a debate I think we all know people on some kind of anti depressant and I couldn;t honestly say whether it is necessary or not because I am not a doctor. And I mean a doctor too. Not based on a referral from some 2 bit psychologist (no offence to psychologists) to a regular GP who then treats the symptoms. It is my understanding there are 2 types or ways of suffering depression and one is pretty much emotional, while one is clinical, being something wrong with the brain itself. No amount of counselling is going to fix a chemical imbalance. I dont know though, maybe they are over prescribed.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
Old 03-27-2004, 06:59 AM   #9
you are what you is
Local Time: 12:38 PM
I tend to agree that they are over prescribed
sometimes seems they are handed out like tic tacs nowadays

but - indeed - if one suffers from a chemical imbalance these anti-depressants are the only way to go
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 03-27-2004, 07:13 AM   #10

i don't like pills , i d rather drink or smoke
Old 03-27-2004, 08:08 AM   #11
love, blood, life
I was reading a good article in the newest People Magazine about this very same seems there is a closet epidemic of kids/adults being prescribed various popular anti-depressant drugs and the chemicals react badly with the person's innate/diagnosed 'problem' and the patient kills themselves.. often due to a chemical imbalance that caused the drug to actually make things worse.

I'm a fairly open person, and am not embarrassed to say that I have a chemical imbalance, too. I am not able to take some medications because of the awful way my 'chemistry' reacts to it, along with St Johns Wart that I tried once at the advisement of a doctor. Well, that created 'bad things' too.. After reading the article in People, I am so thankful that I never sought a prescription to cure my depression woes, because I don't know what would have happened to me, or what I would have done to myself, as evidenced by previous bad reactions.

I'm far better now that I made some drastic and necessary life changes to get rid of things that were prolonging my chemical imbalanced states. It's also always good to have someone around you who loves you and knows how to 'bring you back' from whatever ledge you can't pry yourself away from emotionally.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:38 AM
im told i should be on an anti-depressant. i choose not to.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #13
I Serve Larry's Stick
I've been on Zoloft since last November or October...can't remember which. I hope to be off this soon, but right now it is doing me a world of good. For a while there, I was seriously losing my will to live. Not in a suicidal way, but I just couldn't face another day feeling the way I did. To me, if I were to go on feeling like that everyday, then life wasn't worth living. I do agree that stuff like this is overprescribed, but it really does help a lot of people who need it.

P.S. Hi Jeff--remember me?
Old 03-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #14
Local Time: 08:38 PM
im not on any medication or anything

but i tell you what

i am sick of psychologists though

what are they doing in there?

im too smart sometimes for them because i already KNOW what they are going to say, and i know the stuff what they are saying to me

feeling miserable is possibly a state of mind, who knows?
Old 03-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
No amount of counselling is going to fix a chemical imbalance.
or give you the money to solve financial problems, which is the root of most of my agony, and why I'm depressed