Are you left-brained or right-brained?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
interesting little test...

FIND THE MAN IN THE COFFEE BEANS IN THE IMAGE BELOW.

Doctors have concluded that if you find the man in the coffee beans in 3 seconds, your right half of your brain is better developed than most people.

If you find the man between 3 seconds and 1 minute, your right half of the brain is developed normally.

If you find the man between 1 minute and 3 minutes, then the right half of your brain is functioning slowly and you need to eat more protein.

If you have not found the man after 3 minutes, the advice is to look for more of this type of exercise to make that part of the brain stronger!!!

And, yes, the man is really there!!!

CoffeeBeans.jpg

joyfulgirl said:

Doctors have concluded that if you find the man in the coffee beans in 3 seconds, your right half of your brain is better developed than most people.

:wave:

A left-brained colleague spent about 5 minutes analyzing how she should go about looking for the man, lol.

joyfulgirl said:
A left-brained colleague spent about 5 minutes analyzing how she should go about looking for the man, lol.

that's pretty much what I just did, I felt kinda dumb when I found him because I didn't realize that was what I Was supposed to be looking for

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I am so smart - 5 seconds (yes, I was timing myself). :nerd:

Well actually....

it isn't a smartness test.

Though yes, of course, you are smart. We know this. :wink:

Maybe everyone doesn't know the difference between left-brained and right-brained (I always get them mixed up myself, being right-brained and all) so, for those who don't:

http://www.funderstanding.com/right_left_brain.cfm
Experimentation has shown that the two different sides, or hemispheres, of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following table illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:

Left Brain:
Logical
Sequential
Rational
Analytical
Objective
Looks at parts

Right Brain:
Random
Intuitive
Holistic
Synthesizing
Subjective
Looks at wholes

Most individuals have a distinct preference for one of these styles of thinking. Some, however, are more whole-brained and equally adept at both modes. In general, schools tend to favor left-brain modes of thinking, while downplaying the right-brain ones. Left-brain scholastic subjects focus on logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy. Right-brained subjects, on the other hand, focus on aesthetics, feeling, and creativity.

bono_212 said:

that's pretty much what I just did, I felt kinda dumb when I found him because I didn't realize that was what I Was supposed to be looking for

not dumb at all, just slightly more left-brained is all--you probably do well on tests that require logical, analytical thinking :)

joyfulgirl said:

Well actually....

it isn't a smartness test.

Though yes, of course, you are smart. We know this. :wink:

Maybe everyone doesn't know the difference between left-brained and right-brained (I always get them mixed up myself, being right-brained and all) so, for those who don't:

http://www.funderstanding.com/right_left_brain.cfm
Experimentation has shown that the two different sides, or hemispheres, of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following table illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:

Left Brain:
Logical
Sequential
Rational
Analytical
Objective
Looks at parts

Right Brain:
Random
Intuitive
Holistic
Synthesizing
Subjective
Looks at wholes

Most individuals have a distinct preference for one of these styles of thinking. Some, however, are more whole-brained and equally adept at both modes. In general, schools tend to favor left-brain modes of thinking, while downplaying the right-brain ones. Left-brain scholastic subjects focus on logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy. Right-brained subjects, on the other hand, focus on aesthetics, feeling, and creativity.

:kiss:

:hmm: Sounds about right.

Got it in under a minute, though I spent the first 20-30 seconds trying to find man-shaped patterns in the coffee!

evillaurd said:
Got it in under a minute, though I spent the first 20-30 seconds trying to find man-shaped patterns in the coffee!

Ditto. Had me worried for a second there.

joyfulgirl said:

:mad:

My left side of the brain is just too awesome for this silly nonsense.

I thought it was one of those stupid 3 dimensional things. I can never do those. I didn't find the man until Deep pointed him out. I cheated.
:(

UberBeaver said:

:mad:

My left side of the brain is just too awesome for this silly nonsense.

I thought it was one of those stupid 3 dimensional things. I can never do those. I didn't find the man until Deep pointed him out. I cheated.
:(

:hug: I'd need to cheat off you in a different kind of test.

Fun little test, but the psychology major in me would like to caution against the use of terms like 'left-brained' and 'right-brained.' Psychological labelling is never a good thing! Those terms are firmly lodged in the realm of pop psychology. Yes, it's true that people who manage to recognise the man in the coffee beans quickly could quite possibly experience stronger activity in their right hemispheres than those who take longer. However, this does not make them 'right-brained.' There really is not enough evidence to suggest such a thing as being 'right-brained' or 'left-brained.' You utilise both hemispheres of your brain in whatever you do (though certain sections do display signs of increased activity depending on the stimulus.) The whole left-brain/right-brain myth has about as much validity as the claim that we only use 10% of our brains. So for all you so-called left-brainers at Interference who are fretting over this image, don't worry about your poor, underdeveloped right hemisphere. :wink: Chances are, if you function normally, your right hemisphere is a-ok.

Some good links:

http://linus.highpoint.edu/~bblatchl/essay/RightBrainLeft.html
http://williamcalvin.com/bk2/bk2ch10.htm
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~birdsong/classnotes/CNFall2003/psy341K/splitbrain.htm

UberBeaver said:

Define "normally", please.

Have you recently giggled hysterically in a puddle of your own drool upon the suggestion of disembodied voices that only you can hear?

joyfulgirl said:

which is all it's meant to be

Granted. I'm just saying that people sometimes take this left-brain / right-brain stuff too seriously. For all you know, someone who doesn't know any better could stumble upon this test, find the man in less than three seconds and think 'wow, I'm right-brained!'

UberBeaver said:

Define "recently", please.

Are you giggling hysterically in a puddle of your own drool upon the suggestion of disembodied voices that only you can hear RIGHT NOW or have you giggled hysterically in a puddle of your own drool upon the suggestion of disembodied voices that only you can hear in the immediate past? And just as a point of interest, am I presently talking to ÜberBeaver?

Back
Top Bottom