Are the 00s shaping up well??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 01:07 AM
Are the 00s shaping up well???

"God, I wish I could go back to the 00s!!!" Do you see anybody saying this in 30 years? Or even 20 or 10? We all know the past decades have had a pretty distinctive style of music and popular culture to shape them up....

40s: Jazz, Swing & Big Band
50s: Rock n Roll
60s: Psychedelic & Avant Garde
70s: Prog Rock & Disco
80s: New Wave/Synth & Hair Metal
90s: Grunge & Alternative Rock

00s: Hip Hop/Nu metal/Retro rock???

I realize I'm using broad categorization here but...

Do you think the 00s will be distinctive enough to compete with the other decades?

Of course, I'm only considering the Mainstream here. The other side-thought to this is I've always wondered what the non-mainstream music was like in the 60s & 70s!

Discuss.
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 05:07 PM
This decade is like the mutt of the previous generations

It will be remembered for producing some really bad music, a mix of new wave/rock. But no distinctive sound, atleast yet.

and prly for all these "older" bands and artists making their comebacks.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,287
Local Time: 06:07 PM
If you have to apply a label to this decade thus far, I think it has to be 'hip-hop'. I mean, even non hip-hop artists are trying to infuse the hip-hop vibe into their music. Look at Gwen Stefani. With No Doubt, it was all about melodic punky rock music. But in her solo career, the hip-hop influences are incredibly blatent.

Outside of hip-hop, nothing comes to mind. The majority of the great rock albums released this decade are from bands that came from previous decades. Radiohead and Pearl Jam came from the 90s. Audioslave is a combination of the remnants of two bands that came from the 90s(Sound Garden and RATM). Red Hot Chili Peppers came from the 80s and 90s. U2 and REM came from the 80s.

The only rock band I can think of that came from this decade so far that I think will be remembered and talked about in twenty years is Coldplay. In the 60s you had the Beatles/Stones/Beach Boys/Doors. In the 70s you had Zeppelin/Floyd/The Who/Clash/Sex Pistols. In the 80s you had U2/Metallica/REM/Bon Jovi. In the 90s you had Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/Radiohead/Smashing Pumpkins/RATM/RHCP. What do we have this decade so far in terms of rock bands that will be remembered like that in twenty years? I honestly can't think of one outside of Coldplay.
__________________
namkcuR is online now  
Old 04-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
What do we have this decade so far in terms of rock bands that will be remembered like that in twenty years? I honestly can't think of one outside of Coldplay.


What about The Killers, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand and the like? Only time will tell if they're remembered or not I guess.

I wonder if the decades will get more character less and more of a mixed up jumble/rehash as we go on... I mean is there anything else left unexplored in music? I know bands like Sigur Ros are constantly on unchartered territory but I wonder what will be the state of music in say, 20 years!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
It will be remembered for producing some really bad music, a mix of new wave/rock. But no distinctive sound, atleast yet.
I'm reminded of this scene in that stoner movie Dazed & Confused, where one of the characters says something like "The 60s ruled... the 70s clearly suck, I mean c'mon guys!... I wonder if the 80s will bring something new..." or something like that.

We always romanticize the past and hate the present, don't we?
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Tilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 6,500
Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


We always romanticize the past and hate the present, don't we?
Romanticise about an era in music - who would do such a thing Zootunes?
__________________
Tilli is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
redkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: racing to the waterside
Posts: 19,620
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Just two years ago I thought all of the current music was crap. That was before I started finding music online.

I think that's the key to finding good music anymore. There are so many great bands out there I'm not sure if they are all considered "indie" but they aren't being played on the radio much. Radio is becoming a democracy and stations are more and more playing only the most popular bands and introducing fewer new artists. You have to seek out the good stuff.

Canada has made a mark on this decade. Great music coming from that country.
__________________
redkat is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,287
Local Time: 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque




What about The Killers, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand and the like? Only time will tell if they're remembered or not I guess.

Not everybody TODAY knows who Snow Patrol or The Killers or Franz Ferdinand are.

In 1993, could you find anyone 35 years of age or younger who didn't know who Nirvana or Pearl Jam were?

I'm certainly not saying popularity=quality where music is concerned, I'm just saying, if Snow Patrol and The Killers and Franz Ferdinand aren't being talked about everywhere TODAY, why should I think they'll be talked about anywhere in twenty years? A prerequisite to being talked about in the future is being talked about now.
__________________
namkcuR is online now  
Old 04-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Refugee
 
kakvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,258
Local Time: 06:07 PM
00's - Garage Band
__________________
kakvox is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 07:07 PM
Do only white people get to name the decades?
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 05:07 PM
The latter half of each decade has been by far the worst.
So if history repeats itself, and it has in popular music over and over (cycles) then you can count on the latter half of the 00's starting to get real shitty real fast. By 2009 we will be looking back at 2003, for example as a strong musical year.

Generally speaking, mainstream of course, there will always be quality music going on underneath while it sucks overall and vice versa.

I think 2001-2005 has been pretty good, those who think it sucks really need to lace up their bootstraps because the real bad shit is coming. Remember the 70's, 80's and 90's all saw their zenith in the early parts of the decade with psychedelic rock, new wave and alt/grunge while the latter parts were full of disco, hair metal and rap rock.

I hate using those terms but in a discussion like this you almost have to.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 11:07 PM
No new rock band has really dominated in the 00's its really been a rap hip hop thing.
__________________
vaz02 is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
If you have to apply a label to this decade thus far, I think it has to be 'hip-hop'. I mean, even non hip-hop artists are trying to infuse the hip-hop vibe into their music. Look at Gwen Stefani. With No Doubt, it was all about melodic punky rock music. But in her solo career, the hip-hop influences are incredibly blatent.

Outside of hip-hop, nothing comes to mind. The majority of the great rock albums released this decade are from bands that came from previous decades. Radiohead and Pearl Jam came from the 90s. Audioslave is a combination of the remnants of two bands that came from the 90s(Sound Garden and RATM). Red Hot Chili Peppers came from the 80s and 90s. U2 and REM came from the 80s.

The only rock band I can think of that came from this decade so far that I think will be remembered and talked about in twenty years is Coldplay. In the 60s you had the Beatles/Stones/Beach Boys/Doors. In the 70s you had Zeppelin/Floyd/The Who/Clash/Sex Pistols. In the 80s you had U2/Metallica/REM/Bon Jovi. In the 90s you had Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/Radiohead/Smashing Pumpkins/RATM/RHCP. What do we have this decade so far in terms of rock bands that will be remembered like that in twenty years? I honestly can't think of one outside of Coldplay.
That's not really fair. The upper crust of the early 90's was really reminiscent of the late 60's early 70's, there was almost a sea change in the mainstream, whereas the early 00's are more comparable to the early 1980's, where maybe there wasn't a sea change all over mainstream music, but there was an underbelly of great music that will get it's due eventually, and could conceivably last just as long.

If you understand what I'm saying, then you can look no further than U2, among others. They weren't large in the mainstream until the latter half of the decade. From 1980-1985 (more or less) thei popularity was not all that different from groups like Arcade Fire or whomever. We don't know where those groups will go.

Pearl Jam and Nirvana had equal peers at the time, believe me.
It's just Pearl Jam has used it's longevity of quality to become legendary, they weren't on the same pedestal in 1996 as they are now. Nirvana, while probably legendary is helped by the mythologies surrounding Cobain's early demise.

But there were bands in league with them that have either dissolved or dimished in stature, in other words, it's too early to start naming the real impact of this decade. Much like the early 80's, I don't think we'll see it for a few years, whereas the early 90's was immediate, it was as I said earlier a sea change, rock and roll changed, pop music changed, country changed, metal changed, hip hop chnaged, rap changed, and it wasn't all to do with Nirvana as the revisionists like to write, it had to do with a bevy of things, the whole of the artists that the labels were signing were better because the public started buying better music, because it was so crap for so long. Technology helped as well.

I'd expect the next decade 2011-2015, or so to be pretty incredible, that is if you accept that history repeats itself in popular music.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
Refugee
 
Eliv8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A Place Called San Diego
Posts: 1,842
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Re: Are the 00s shaping up well???

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
"God, I wish I could go back to the 00s!!!" Do you see anybody saying this in 30 years? Or even 20 or 10? We all know the past decades have had a pretty distinctive style of music and popular culture to shape them up....

40s: Jazz, Swing & Big Band
50s: Rock n Roll
60s: Psychedelic & Avant Garde
70s: Prog Rock & Disco
80s: New Wave/Synth & Hair Metal
90s: Grunge & Alternative Rock

00s: Hip Hop/Nu metal/Retro rock???

I realize I'm using broad categorization here but...

Do you think the 00s will be distinctive enough to compete with the other decades?

Of course, I'm only considering the Mainstream here. The other side-thought to this is I've always wondered what the non-mainstream music was like in the 60s & 70s!

Discuss.
How can the 70's not include punk?
__________________
Eliv8 is offline  
Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 01:07 AM
Re: Re: Are the 00s shaping up well???

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliv8

How can the 70's not include punk?
Well.. I must have subconsiously not included Punk cos I'm not all that into it. Anyway, as I said before they are broad generalizations and are not all-encompassing.

And Dalton... I only used the terms and genres that have been used countless times by music journalists and revisionists to associate with each decade. I did not even think of race here. Besides, wasn't Jazz & Rock n Roll started by African Americans? Correct me if I'm wrong here.
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com