Are the 00s shaping up well???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
"God, I wish I could go back to the 00s!!!" Do you see anybody saying this in 30 years? Or even 20 or 10? We all know the past decades have had a pretty distinctive style of music and popular culture to shape them up....

40s: Jazz, Swing & Big Band
50s: Rock n Roll
60s: Psychedelic & Avant Garde
70s: Prog Rock & Disco
80s: New Wave/Synth & Hair Metal
90s: Grunge & Alternative Rock

00s: Hip Hop/Nu metal/Retro rock??? :hmm:

I realize I'm using broad categorization here but...

Do you think the 00s will be distinctive enough to compete with the other decades?

Of course, I'm only considering the Mainstream here. The other side-thought to this is I've always wondered what the non-mainstream music was like in the 60s & 70s!

Discuss.

This decade is like the mutt of the previous generations

It will be remembered for producing some really bad music, a mix of new wave/rock. But no distinctive sound, atleast yet.

and prly for all these "older" bands and artists making their comebacks.

If you have to apply a label to this decade thus far, I think it has to be 'hip-hop'. I mean, even non hip-hop artists are trying to infuse the hip-hop vibe into their music. Look at Gwen Stefani. With No Doubt, it was all about melodic punky rock music. But in her solo career, the hip-hop influences are incredibly blatent.

Outside of hip-hop, nothing comes to mind. The majority of the great rock albums released this decade are from bands that came from previous decades. Radiohead and Pearl Jam came from the 90s. Audioslave is a combination of the remnants of two bands that came from the 90s(Sound Garden and RATM). Red Hot Chili Peppers came from the 80s and 90s. U2 and REM came from the 80s.

The only rock band I can think of that came from this decade so far that I think will be remembered and talked about in twenty years is Coldplay. In the 60s you had the Beatles/Stones/Beach Boys/Doors. In the 70s you had Zeppelin/Floyd/The Who/Clash/Sex Pistols. In the 80s you had U2/Metallica/REM/Bon Jovi. In the 90s you had Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/Radiohead/Smashing Pumpkins/RATM/RHCP. What do we have this decade so far in terms of rock bands that will be remembered like that in twenty years? I honestly can't think of one outside of Coldplay.

namkcuR said:
What do we have this decade so far in terms of rock bands that will be remembered like that in twenty years? I honestly can't think of one outside of Coldplay.

:hmm:

What about The Killers, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand and the like? Only time will tell if they're remembered or not I guess.

I wonder if the decades will get more character less and more of a mixed up jumble/rehash as we go on... I mean is there anything else left unexplored in music? I know bands like Sigur Ros are constantly on unchartered territory but I wonder what will be the state of music in say, 20 years!

LemonMacPhisto said:
It will be remembered for producing some really bad music, a mix of new wave/rock. But no distinctive sound, atleast yet.

I'm reminded of this scene in that stoner movie Dazed & Confused, where one of the characters says something like "The 60s ruled... the 70s clearly suck, I mean c'mon guys!... I wonder if the 80s will bring something new..." or something like that.

We always romanticize the past and hate the present, don't we? :wink:

Zootlesque said:

We always romanticize the past and hate the present, don't we? :wink:

Romanticise about an era in music - who would do such a thing Zootunes?:ohmy:

Just two years ago I thought all of the current music was crap. That was before I started finding music online.

I think that's the key to finding good music anymore. There are so many great bands out there I'm not sure if they are all considered "indie" but they aren't being played on the radio much. Radio is becoming a democracy and stations are more and more playing only the most popular bands and introducing fewer new artists. You have to seek out the good stuff.

Canada has made a mark on this decade. Great music coming from that country.

Zootlesque said:

:hmm:

What about The Killers, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand and the like? Only time will tell if they're remembered or not I guess.

Not everybody TODAY knows who Snow Patrol or The Killers or Franz Ferdinand are.

In 1993, could you find anyone 35 years of age or younger who didn't know who Nirvana or Pearl Jam were?

I'm certainly not saying popularity=quality where music is concerned, I'm just saying, if Snow Patrol and The Killers and Franz Ferdinand aren't being talked about everywhere TODAY, why should I think they'll be talked about anywhere in twenty years? A prerequisite to being talked about in the future is being talked about now.

The latter half of each decade has been by far the worst.
So if history repeats itself, and it has in popular music over and over (cycles) then you can count on the latter half of the 00's starting to get real shitty real fast. By 2009 we will be looking back at 2003, for example as a strong musical year.

Generally speaking, mainstream of course, there will always be quality music going on underneath while it sucks overall and vice versa.

I think 2001-2005 has been pretty good, those who think it sucks really need to lace up their bootstraps because the real bad shit is coming. Remember the 70's, 80's and 90's all saw their zenith in the early parts of the decade with psychedelic rock, new wave and alt/grunge while the latter parts were full of disco, hair metal and rap rock.

I hate using those terms but in a discussion like this you almost have to.

No new rock band has really dominated in the 00's its really been a rap hip hop thing.

namkcuR said:
If you have to apply a label to this decade thus far, I think it has to be 'hip-hop'. I mean, even non hip-hop artists are trying to infuse the hip-hop vibe into their music. Look at Gwen Stefani. With No Doubt, it was all about melodic punky rock music. But in her solo career, the hip-hop influences are incredibly blatent.

Outside of hip-hop, nothing comes to mind. The majority of the great rock albums released this decade are from bands that came from previous decades. Radiohead and Pearl Jam came from the 90s. Audioslave is a combination of the remnants of two bands that came from the 90s(Sound Garden and RATM). Red Hot Chili Peppers came from the 80s and 90s. U2 and REM came from the 80s.

The only rock band I can think of that came from this decade so far that I think will be remembered and talked about in twenty years is Coldplay. In the 60s you had the Beatles/Stones/Beach Boys/Doors. In the 70s you had Zeppelin/Floyd/The Who/Clash/Sex Pistols. In the 80s you had U2/Metallica/REM/Bon Jovi. In the 90s you had Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/Radiohead/Smashing Pumpkins/RATM/RHCP. What do we have this decade so far in terms of rock bands that will be remembered like that in twenty years? I honestly can't think of one outside of Coldplay.

That's not really fair. The upper crust of the early 90's was really reminiscent of the late 60's early 70's, there was almost a sea change in the mainstream, whereas the early 00's are more comparable to the early 1980's, where maybe there wasn't a sea change all over mainstream music, but there was an underbelly of great music that will get it's due eventually, and could conceivably last just as long.

If you understand what I'm saying, then you can look no further than U2, among others. They weren't large in the mainstream until the latter half of the decade. From 1980-1985 (more or less) thei popularity was not all that different from groups like Arcade Fire or whomever. We don't know where those groups will go.

Pearl Jam and Nirvana had equal peers at the time, believe me.
It's just Pearl Jam has used it's longevity of quality to become legendary, they weren't on the same pedestal in 1996 as they are now. Nirvana, while probably legendary is helped by the mythologies surrounding Cobain's early demise.

But there were bands in league with them that have either dissolved or dimished in stature, in other words, it's too early to start naming the real impact of this decade. Much like the early 80's, I don't think we'll see it for a few years, whereas the early 90's was immediate, it was as I said earlier a sea change, rock and roll changed, pop music changed, country changed, metal changed, hip hop chnaged, rap changed, and it wasn't all to do with Nirvana as the revisionists like to write, it had to do with a bevy of things, the whole of the artists that the labels were signing were better because the public started buying better music, because it was so crap for so long. Technology helped as well.

I'd expect the next decade 2011-2015, or so to be pretty incredible, that is if you accept that history repeats itself in popular music.

Zootlesque said:
"God, I wish I could go back to the 00s!!!" Do you see anybody saying this in 30 years? Or even 20 or 10? We all know the past decades have had a pretty distinctive style of music and popular culture to shape them up....

40s: Jazz, Swing & Big Band
50s: Rock n Roll
60s: Psychedelic & Avant Garde
70s: Prog Rock & Disco
80s: New Wave/Synth & Hair Metal
90s: Grunge & Alternative Rock

00s: Hip Hop/Nu metal/Retro rock??? :hmm:

I realize I'm using broad categorization here but...

Do you think the 00s will be distinctive enough to compete with the other decades?

Of course, I'm only considering the Mainstream here. The other side-thought to this is I've always wondered what the non-mainstream music was like in the 60s & 70s!

Discuss.

How can the 70's not include punk?

Re: Re: Are the 00s shaping up well???

Eliv8 said:

How can the 70's not include punk?

Well.. I must have subconsiously not included Punk cos I'm not all that into it. Anyway, as I said before they are broad generalizations and are not all-encompassing.

And Dalton... I only used the terms and genres that have been used countless times by music journalists and revisionists to associate with each decade. I did not even think of race here. Besides, wasn't Jazz & Rock n Roll started by African Americans? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

U2DMfan said:
The latter half of each decade has been by far the worst.

But what about 1965-1969? That was arguably the greatest period for popular music ever. You had the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding and a ton of other people releasing all this great music. And Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were getting their start then, too.

And the latter part of the '70s can hardly be considered a waste when it saw the rise of punk/new wave. I guess you could argue that kind music was mostly unheard of in Middle America at the time so it shouldn't count, but people in other places were listening to it.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the music transition of the '70s to the '80s

the '70s Disco and Punk became New Wave and more Pop music in the '80s

look at the late '90s: Boy Bands + "punk" (i used "s because I think true punk died in the '70s and some parts of the mid-'90s) have now become more "New Wave" (the killers, keane, snow patrol, coldplay, franz ferdinand) and "Pop", except more Hip-Hip Pop.

it's all a cycle.

Bono's shades said:

But what about 1965-1969? That was arguably the greatest period for popular music ever. You had the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding and a ton of other people releasing all this great music. And Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were getting their start then, too.

And the latter part of the '70s can hardly be considered a waste when it saw the rise of punk/new wave. I guess you could argue that kind music was mostly unheard of in Middle America at the time so it shouldn't count, but people in other places were listening to it.

Of course the late 60's were great but the time of that musical revolution was largely dictated by technology inventions. You'll also notice that it didn't stop in 1969, that's why I left it out, it's an abberation to today's cycles. It was the saturation of rock and roll becoming stadium and glam and the influx of singer-songwriters that led rock and roll into it's first downward spiral since the invention of the effects box for the guitar.

We are talking very generally here about the mainstream.

So in the late 70's it was obviously about cheesy saturated pop, disco and glam and cheesy arena rock. It was horrible.

The late 80's also had it's shoegazing and birth of hardcore rap but I left that out because it's impact on the maisntream was little to none. Punk didn't seep thru until post punk started making waves around 79 into the 80's. Again, generally.

You could make exceptions to each generalization, that kind of makes this discussion useless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom