Are remastered Cd's worth the extra expenditure? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Remastered albums sound better if they were originally recorded with analog sources. "Remastered" versions of albums made over the last 15 years are generally marketing hype.

Melon
Thanks for the tip. Most of the albums I'm after are from the late 70's and early 80's and were quite likely recorded with analog sources.

Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

*double post was 'ere*

Old 02-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks to everybody who responded. What I will do is purchase remastered albums of albums older than 15 years (which is the case for most of the albums I am wanting to purchase) or if theres extra bits eg The Cure. (I did notice the Cures Three Imaginary Boys remastered with bonus disk and have added that to my list)

Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to address my questions.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #19
Refugee

War and The Joshua Tree remastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs blow away the original albums.

Cheers,

J
Old 02-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:43 AM
last night we were discussing how we miss the sound of putting the needle on, and the nifty square brush you'd gently wipe your vinyl with. that crackle as it settled.
we were at a 40th bday party and while i love nothing more than watching middle aged bob dylanites smoke dope and discuss their vb stubby holder collections, i had to get the shits when some tart told me i couldn't possibly remember any of the 80's music that was playing at the time, when it originally came out. want to bet, pork chop?????
kiss my arse hippy.

beli i expect you'll be offering profuse thanks for my contribution to this thread. and i offer my no worries in return.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Elvis Costello is a definite argument for remastered CDs.
Indeed. And his editions with the standard (remastered) album on one CD (without any bonus tracks!) and a separate CD with bonus tracks should be the standard when doing expanded edition.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:27 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

What is the difference between super audio Cds and remastered CDs please? Which is "better" in your opinon?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Haven't heard any SACDs myself... but I was just thinking...

Bruce Springsteen's catalog needs remastering, and badly.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

There are some Bruce remastered CDs available. I just saw some in an online shop over here. Have a look at your "local" online shop.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:43 PM
ooohh, speaking of remasters/reissues I just ordered the reissue/remaster of a couple of older Steve Kilbey albums (y'all just knew it was gonna be Steve, didn't ya? ) and one of them is gonna have SK doing a reading of his poetry. Hot damn! I've been waiting for this for ages!!!

(I know, I know I'm pitiful...and my post really didn't have much to do with the topic... )
Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

You are hopeless Indra. The only way to redeem yourself is to listen to your new remastered cds and compare them with your old ones and post here your findings.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
You are hopeless Indra. The only way to redeem yourself is to listen to your new remastered cds and compare them with your old ones and post here your findings.
Now that I have a command performance I might just do that! You know the really pitiful thing is that I bought the remasters of Heyday and Seance (both Church releases of course ) several months ago (and both have a bonus disc too), but I haven't listened to either one yet! I'm not even sure where they are anymore....
Old 02-24-2005, 11:27 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I had the Heyday remastered with bonus disk thingie in my basket, and ditched it in favour of something else. Next time.....
Old 02-24-2005, 11:42 PM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
What is the difference between super audio Cds and remastered CDs please? Which is "better" in your opinon?
Super Audio is a high resolution format akin to DVD-Audio. You have to have special stereo equipment for those formats. Remastered CDs are standard CDs, it's just that the original source audio is polished up in various ways so as to sound better than the original release (i.e. volume levels increased, individual instrument or vocal sounds made more punchy, etc.). As someone mentioned, albums made in the age of digital recording are not improved much at all with remastering. It makes a difference on analog recordings (most of those would be pre 1990s).
Old 02-24-2005, 11:43 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I had the Heyday remastered with bonus disk thingie in my basket, and ditched it in favour of something else. Next time.....

If you see poor deaf Steve out busking, you'll know it is all because you ditched Heyday in favour of something else.

I hope it was worth it.