are popcorn unhealthy? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
I dunno but there's this guy I work with who makes a bag of microwave butter popcorn at 10am every single day and eats it every single day.

__________________

__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 11:05 PM
I can't stand the smell of popcorn. I had a coworker who would make it every day until one day I yelled at her because the stench was awful. I told her to start eating it at home.

And I am so glad I don't eat movie popcorn anymore. omg.
__________________

__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Doozer61



Since our church does not have a building, we meet on Sunday's at our local AMC Theater. Can you imagine smelling this every Sunday without being able to eat it.
I think God wants it this way. It's like the ultimate test to resist a glorious temptation
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #34
The Fly
 
runbyu1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laie, HI
Posts: 208
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Well, I actually study nutrition and the answer is yes and no. Popcorn by itself is actually whole grain---translation=more healthy than a piece of supposed 'wheat' bread. If cooked with unsaturated oils (olive, soybean, peanut, canola, etc.) it would actually be quite a healthy snack that tends to fill people up without a ton of calories. There is even a microwave kind called smart balance that is quite healthy. Bottom line, popcorn is quite healthy, the kinds of fat you put on it determines it. And contrary to previous belief, real butter is still a saturated fat and is not good for you. Also, some good oils (such as olive) can actually help out your health. Check out the book 'The Culprit and the Cure' by Steve Aldana. It may just change your life.
-G
__________________
runbyu1 is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #35
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
*raises greasy hand*

I've actually gone back once for the free refill that comes with a large popcorn here. I forget what the movie was, but it must have really been something. I had no idea it was so awful and filled with deadly fats. Dear lord!

The Smart Pop stuff is the best home version.
did you get it with the butter?

i never get "butter" on my popcorn at the movies. at home though, when i make popcorn myself, i do use actual real butter.

i wonder what the fat is like on a large popcorn without the warm cooking oil
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
I can't stand the smell of popcorn. I had a coworker who would make it every day until one day I yelled at her because the stench was awful. I told her to start eating it at home.
Good think you don't work with me then! 10am every single day, the telecom engineer is making is microwave popcorn. I love it so it's taken me four years to not get cravings every morning.

I think I'm going to make some popcorn (my favorite is the regular Act II sprinkled with Lawry's seasoning salt).
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by runbyu1
Well, I actually study nutrition and the answer is yes and no. Popcorn by itself is actually whole grain---translation=more healthy than a piece of supposed 'wheat' bread. If cooked with unsaturated oils (olive, soybean, peanut, canola, etc.) it would actually be quite a healthy snack that tends to fill people up without a ton of calories. There is even a microwave kind called smart balance that is quite healthy. Bottom line, popcorn is quite healthy, the kinds of fat you put on it determines it. And contrary to previous belief, real butter is still a saturated fat and is not good for you. Also, some good oils (such as olive) can actually help out your health. Check out the book 'The Culprit and the Cure' by Steve Aldana. It may just change your life.
-G


Finally, an Interference nutritionist! We were waiting for you to turnip...ahh...turn up. Like you mention, I think it's the saturated stuff that kills.


Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i wonder what the fat is like on a large popcorn without the warm cooking oil
God, I'll bet it's like a huge and disgusting globule. It would be an interesting test to let the bag cool and examine it later. My weekend plans are rapidly coming together!

I never put butter on at the movies, either. Maybe that saved me. I used to when I was younger, but then I watched the workers pop it one day with all the greasy oil...they just poured it into the machine like it was a car. At that point, I started wondering if grease on top of grease was a good thing. Instead of butter, I'll usually put the spice stuff on...but it doesn't stick very well to the popcorn without butter.
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #38
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
I never put butter on at the movies, either. Maybe that saved me. I used to when I was younger, but then I watched the workers pop it one day with all the greasy oil...they just poured it into the machine like it was a car. At that point, I started wondering if grease on top of grease was a good thing. Instead of butter, I'll usually put the spice stuff on...but it doesn't stick very well to the popcorn without butter.
i don't either. all i can say is, i hope to god the 126g of fat large popcorn is when it's got the butter and salt on it, like the average person gets. if that's how much fat it's got just as is, then i'm never getting popcorn at the movies again.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 10:05 PM
jiffy pop used to be my jank!!!! but then when i went to visit my parents, my mom had bought my dad a new toy, the air popper. so he makes it for me when i visit.

i can't make it on my own. last time i tried i got some in my eyes.
__________________
redhotswami is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict
 
love_u2_adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Posts: 22,307
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Big Grin RE: RE: is popcorn healthy?

omg i love my poping corn with loads of butter and salt


with some chocolate on the side

chocolate poping corn is amazing
__________________
love_u2_adam is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 11:28 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 10:05 PM
omg i love cracker jacks!
__________________
redhotswami is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #42
The Fly
 
DILETTANTE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 160
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Popcorn with butter and Old Bay seasoning.....or popcorn with shredded cheese on top...Yum! (Probably healthier than a Big Mac -- but not by much)
__________________
DILETTANTE is offline  
Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 08:05 PM
We had some Orville Redenbacher a little while ago
__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip




well, truth is: no. i cannot stand eating popcorn at the movies or the smell of them in the cinema. they're so greasy

i prefer my own low-fat popcorn, and as i see above, they're healthy
__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,496
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
AMC's large sized popcorn...



moral of the story, don't eat movie theater popcorn
No, the moral of the story is be sure to get lots of "butter flavored topping" on your movie theater popcorn so the saturated fat is 944% of your daily requirements.
__________________

__________________
Hewson is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com