are looks really that important? also: yee-haw, i bought Exciter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I mean, really? Does it really come down to the body and the physical appearance?

Love the Exciter - the CD by Depeche Mode, that is. I've never quite got into them (though i think Dave Gahan is one of the best singers around - not bad looking either!), but this is a verrry good album. If you liked the singles, i reccomend it. My fave songs are Goodnight lovers/When the body speaks/Freelove/Shine. I like the rest too, except the two instrumentals, and I am you.

I don't think looks are the be all and end all but they play a bit of a part if you r gonna go out with someone!
smile.gif

I think that yes, looks are an important factor for everyone. But sometimes you think a person is unattractive once you first meet them, but they come more attractive as you become closer to them. But that can also be vice versa.

But I also think that girls feel they need to look a certain way to be attractive, when guys don't think that way... like a lot of guys don't want a girl to be stick-thin, but girls are still doing that to themselves. I never realized that until I talked to my guy friends and asked them... sometimes what they had to say surprised me.

------------------
~*~?~*~ Katie ~*~?~*~
"Now America looks smart and, dare I say it, sexy again." ~ Bono, 2000

She is the dreamer
She's imagination

Looks do matter to a certain extent. Like Bonochick said, there has to be some physical attraction there, but looks certainly aren't the main factor in deciding who I'd like to date or not.

That's one thing I'm annoyed at our current culture for - this mentality that looks mean the most and that if you don't look your best, that no one's going to want you. And especially this mentality that if you don't fit the 'classic' definition of beautiful, that you aren't - that really bugs me. There are so many different types of physical beauty that I think it's a real shame that some women think they aren't all that good looking because they don't have the stereotypical high cheekbones or hourglass figure.

Yes, a girl might look stunning all done up with a fancy hairdo and a gorgeous dress, but that doesn't mean I won't think she's beautiful when she wakes up in the morning with messy hair and no makeup.

Originally posted by Sicy:
lead_pic2.jpg

*scoops jaw up from floor* wow thats one hot guy!

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

Let me just say that the world is full of ugly people. Most of us are ugly by these classical standard, so let's just face it. I'm ugly, you're ugly, we're all a bunch of bloody, ugly, freaks (LOL).

Okay, now that everyone knows that, let's get on with our lives. There's only one Brad Pitt. There's only one Sharon Stone. There's only one Paula Poundstone. There's only one Jon Lovitz. Got it? My point is, everyone is different. Nobody in here will ever be Brad, Sharon, Paula or Jon, so be happy with who you are!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I must say that guys need to realize this more than girls. Of course, I'm speaking in general terms, but essentially guys tend to look at the physical as opposed to the mental and spiritual.

Being a 22 year old male, I feel for the females. I can't imagine how hard it must be to feel worthless just because you don't fit the "desired" mold. Like I said, most of us ARE ugly, but living in denial. We all know that the only attract person in this world is my mother and my girlfriend. Call my opinion bias, but it's true. None of you will ever match up! (LOL)

Originally posted by U2girl:
I mean, really? Does it really come down to the body and the physical appearance?

Actually it's not appearances at all. It's smell. I an experiment, 5 college boys wore the same shirt to bed for 4 days in a row without washing it. The shirts were then bagged and sent off to girls to smell the shirts. The shirts they thought smell good were all different. When the boys and girls met, the girls were attracted to the boys whose scent they had already chose. It's all based on immune systems. You naturally want your child to be the strongest and most fit. So when you pick a mate based on pheremones, you are smelling what immunities your mate has. The better your olfactory nerve (sense of smell) works, the better chance you have for strong children.
Just an AP bio rant for you there.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Ahhhhhh...thanks for the Dave pic, Sicy! What a cutie!

Well, U2girl, looks do matter, to a certain extent. I mean, if you are going to go out with somebody and be with them, there must be SOME physical attraction (wanting to vomit everytime you go in for a kiss is not cool). That doesn't mean they have to look like a model or something. Besides...a sexy personality can usually make up for what a person lacks physically.

Also...if you REALLY love somebody...think of how they will look when they start getting old, and the hair goes gray...and the 6 pack turns into a spare tire. Suddenly, looks won't be why you are still crazy in love with the person (at least I hope we are all crazy in love with somebody when we are old). If it's true love though, he or she will still look good to you.
smile.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 02-17-2002).]

Nice Dave picture. He certainly has cleaned up his act lately.

On one hand, one only has to look at Bono to see that looks aren't all that that matters. On the other hand, I think that everybody has an idea of the type they like. I immediately write off a lot of guys online because the first thing they ask me when they find out I'm Scandinavian is if I'm blonde. I'm the type that makes a huge impression when I go out all dolled up, but nobody notices me in everyday life. I'm okay with that. I'm not going to dress to impress every single day, even if it probably would improve my social life immensely.

of course.........and if I was with a bloke who suddenly met someone a 100 times more gorgeous than me and cheated on me with her, and me knowin about it, I would just tell him to go and enjoy life with her.........I would just say that.........I can never understand though, why men feel more allowed to cheat on their woman, yet if it was there own woman cheating as well, they get bloody angry, and thats so bloody unfair, meanin alright for him, but NOT for her......
mad.gif

men are creeps

hehe
biggrin.gif

naaaah I would say 'Obviously u found someone better, go have a life with her then'........then I'd close the door and go put me fav music on...........it would be hard for 1 or 2 days, but then Id pick me up and move on.......no probs.

Originally posted by Sicy:
lead_pic2.jpg

Dave's telling us ladies to get over to where he is.
wink.gif
(In our dreams!!)

Looks shouldn't be important, but they are to a certain extent. There has to be some attraction there, but in the end, it's if you can actually hold some sort of conversation with that person that matters.

I usually am taken aback whenever some guy notices me...it's weird, I think because I don't fit the usual mold of what's considered attractive that no guy would want to talk to me.
tongue.gif

Ok, enough of that. lol

Originally posted by Lilly:
Actually it's not appearances at all. It's smell. In an experiment...
<snip>

True smell is important for us in choosing our friends atc. But experiments have also proven that attractiveness plays a key role in this and other situations such as jurors in a trial, deciding whether to help someone being attacked etc.
Quite scary really to think that looks can have such a major effect on our lives, though it doesnt make us all horrible people as its an unconscious process.
Anyway its not just the traditional view of beauty that matters, as people tend to prefer others of "equivalent" attractiveness.
I tend to think that everyone has their own opinion on what looks good, just as we all have different tastes in music, food, colours etc. I dont think there's such think as an ugly person, unless its their soul thats ugly.

------------------
?*~darkcloud~*?

Even babies are attracted to beautiful people. I mean the kind of beauty that can be defined and measured... if you've seen John Cleese's programmes about faces, you know what I'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom