arctic monkeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
check out this new UK band first album out in Jan 06, great new fresh stuff

no ,not a boy band but a band with a fresh sound who the music industry predict there album will be the biggest selling debut album ever for first weeks sales in the UK so watch out for them!

arctic monkeys are just so average it's depressing. and i can't stand the way nme are hyping them, calling them the new libertines and such. they're just another average indie band, nothing special. i can't understand all the fuss about them...it's just hype.

I'm not really fussed. Which is a shame because they're playing a gig in my city soon (Coventry) and we almost never get (decent) concerts. Although this has started to change in the past year...

I really like what I've heard

I think Scummy is great it's a fun song with smart lyrics and good humour

A certain Romance is pretty good too

FizzingWhizzbees said:
arctic monkeys are just so average it's depressing. and i can't stand the way nme are hyping them, calling them the new libertines and such. they're just another average indie band, nothing special. i can't understand all the fuss about them...it's just hype.

Exactly :up:

This review is utterly ridiculous:

http://www.nme.com/reviews/arctic-monkeys/7837

10/10?? I don't think so!

I particularly like this quote from on of the "user reviews" though:

"Fuck you NME - fuck you for making me hate a musical genre that I once loved. If musical style has receded to find its inspiration in the past, I worry for its future."

Arctic Monkeys are a great band. lyrically fantastic and good tunes.

it's no surprise that there's this much hype around them. To call them average is ridiculous. They're not pushing any musical boundries but the lyrics and what the songs are about really speak to my generation more than any other band around.

1stepcloser said:
Arctic Monkeys are a great band. lyrically fantastic and good tunes.

it's no surprise that there's this much hype around them. To call them average is ridiculous. They're not pushing any musical boundries but the lyrics and what the songs are about really speak to my generation more than any other band around.

You young'uns with your rubbish rock n roll music!! :madwife:

To each their own.... :wink:

Heard a few of their songs before.
After all the hype I've heard about them, I was extremely dissapointed, judging on what I've heard so far I have to say I think they are very average.
I hope they are capable of much, much better than the stuff what I've heard from them so far, because (sadly) the hype-machine is in full spin so they it looks like they are going to be big here whether we like it or not.

1stepcloser said:
apparently their debut album is going to be the fastest selling since Definitely Maybe...

Not attacking you or anything--don't worry. The band might kick ass, and I guess I'll find out soon enough. But to that estimation I only have one thing to say:

Wow...?

Oops. I meant, "Who the fuck cares?"

If you shout... said:

Not attacking you or anything--don't worry. The band might kick ass, and I guess I'll find out soon enough. But to that estimation I only have one thing to say:

Wow...?

Oops. I meant, "Who the fuck cares?"

haha yeah you're so funny. I've been to funerals that have been funnier than your last post.

well that quote i put gives you some kind of idea of the hype and fuss caused by the band in question, especially for those who haven't heard any of their stuff yet.

didn't think that small slice of information was going to cause you so much offence. sorry. :|

1stepcloser said:
apparently their debut album is going to be the fastest selling since Definitely Maybe...
Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

It's inevitable they will be "huge" this year, but sadly it looks as though it will be due to them being extremely over-hyped rather than producing quality music.

Im not putting them down because they are going to be successful (believe me, Id really like to say I like them, but I can't stand any of the songs Ive heard one bit).
I just don't see anything special about this band at all, I really don't.

Hopefully the Arctic Monkeys will prove me wrong and actually be quite good, but I somehow doubt it.

To quote one of those user reviews from the NME site...
"If the monkeys are the Oasis for the 00's, then Im a Blur fan".

1stepcloser said:

didn't think that small slice of information was going to cause you so much offence. sorry. :|

No, no, no. Sorry if I was unclear--no offense whatsoever taken on my part. I guess that if you just go with that reader quoted by Hedgehog you'll pretty much get what I was going for. Album sales just don't really say too much about quality in the long run, you know? I mean, Oasis sucked and sucks ass. That's all. C'est la vie.

I've never been a comical funeral, though...they any better than the normal, boring-as-fuck ones? Anything involving or parallel to me is usually a blast, so I'd be game. Just gotta keep my eyes open, I s'pose.

Remember when NME used to hype bands that were actuallty great?

Suede come to mind.

As do Verve.

Blur.

Arctic Monkeys? How can you name your band Arctic Monkeys?

Yeah. They sound like shit as well.

Gay Day anyone?

How about Menswear?

Whatever happened to The Vines, the Australian band that NME was sure were going to be one of the best bands ever?

On Topic: I've only heard I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor. Think they're OK, wanna hear more before I say anything else.

karls77 said:

Care to give us a review??

will do soon but i haven't got the album yet. although the tracks i downloaded were all great except for one of them but luckily it's not included on the album so i have high hopes.

It doesn't actually matter whether they're any good or not.The thing is that they've relied heavily on typical UK propaganda,which praises every new British band.

TheQuiet1 said:
Well, they've absolutely smashed the fastest selling album ever record.

No its only the fastest selling DEBUT album ever. Its over-hyped but not that over-hyped!

Back
Top Bottom