arctic monkeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They just got a huge review in Time magazine if anyone wants to check that out.

Have not heard much although I dont see any crime in a good pop-hook album once in a while.

Tarvark said:

Have not heard much although I dont see any crime in a good pop-hook album once in a while.

:yes: I agree. Ab-sol-bloody-tootly-lutely*

*:ohmy: maybe I should go get some sleep now before I feel like getting creative with words again :eyebrow:

But I do agree with what you say. Like the Kaiser Chiefs. What's so wrong with 'Employment' being a 'fun' album? Why should a 'fun' album be somehow lesser than a 'serious' one? Surely we all like both serious AND fun songs?

It's funny cause I've heard a lot about them here and elsewhere online... but MuchMusic here in Canada hasn't really played them at all... and I haven't heard anybody talking about them either in person or in the newspaper.

So yeah... they may be big over there from all the hype... but they haven't done much over here from what I can tell.

I have listened to about half the album, and it's definitely fun, but I fail to see how it's THAT much stronger than albums from other bands in their genre.

If anyone has not heard the Sugababes' version of ' I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' yet you must.

They've got that cool electro-pop vibe going on and they marry it to the pseudo dance punk of Arctic Monkeys. It's awesome.

love_u2_adam said:
there a sweet band i like scummy, i bet you look good on the dance floor,mardy bum,and riot van:drool: :drool:

:happy:

:yes: Totally agree with this post.... I just bought their CD today and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised! I really do like them... There are some songs that are like "what the heck were they thinking?" but most of the album is great. It is a totally fun album!

They're ok, but I find them to be pretty average. They sound just like every other NME-ish rock band that has cracked the mainstream. :shrug:

I mean, I don't think they're bad by any means, but I can't understand for the life of me how they've managed to have the fastest selling debut ever.

beau2ifulday said:
They're ok, but I find them to be pretty average. They sound just like every other NME-ish rock band that has cracked the mainstream. :shrug:

I mean, I don't think they're bad by any means, but I can't understand for the life of me how they've managed to have the fastest selling debut ever.

:up:

I totally agree - and I'd like to add that I highly doubt that they'll do just as well outside of Britain.

I'm listening to the album for the first time now, it's better than I thought it would be. Admittedly none of the songs blow me away, but it's good catchy music - I like it. :wink:

I think they're not even average. I don't find them relevant in any aspect. In fact, I don't like them.
IMO this is just another desperate opportunity from the british musical press to find another great british band as in the past...
...as it happened with Kaiser Chiefs, Interpol, Arcade Fire, etc. You can see the example of what happened with the 90's bands: Oasis - sucessful but still remaining in the same way, Blur - tried to be' on their own' but a Gorilla is punching them now, Suede and Pulp - who are them, in fact?
Poor ones...

knox said:
What do Interpol and the Arcade Fire have to do with anything? They're from the USA and Canada...

Yeah, I just remembered to refer them as long as the european press has been talking much too about this and other breakthrough bands, but I admit they're off context, sorry:uhoh:

If the album cover is any indication, the hype is not warranted.

However, it was one of the three new albums I downloaded (the others being Broken Social Scene and the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs) today so we'll see. I haven't heard even the leadoff single so it's going to be a completely new experience.

But the album cover does suck.

these guys are totally overrated. sorry, but it seems the british music press hype strikes again. :down:

impy, tell us what you think of the new bss, when you get a chance.

*runs off to find yeah yeah yeahs leak*

lmjhitman said:

impy, tell us what you think of the new bss, when you get a chance.

I looooooove it. I'll give it a second listen tomorrow.

Put up your email addy and I can send you the YYY album.

thanks babe, i already got it. :sexywink:

i love the whole bss cd, it's no 'you forgot it in people' but i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 'it's all gonna break', 'ibi dreams of pavement', 'windsurfing nation', 'swimmers' and 'hotel'.

did you get the 'ep to be you and me' with the fast version of 'major label debut'?

I want the YYYs leak :(

I know is not Artic Monkeys related but I think these guys are overrated

"Swimmers" is the greatest thing since sliced bread (or "Anthems"), whereas the Arctic Monkeys are stale.

Stale-ass bread.

Arctic Monkeys just strike me as Franz Ferdinand clones, except taking themselves more seriously and having goofball/witty lyrics.

There is method in it, though - Mardy Bum is a brilliant song.

To me, their music lacks the effortless greatness that the great bands, the classic albums had..its just fairly good music that is getting a lot of coverage because of the "topical" lyrics (which are what will date the Arctic Monkeys I feel).

Arctic Monkey's are nothing special or musically important but, if you enjoy them, that's fair enough...

It's an insult to Oasis to call them the "new Oasis" though.... Oasis are most remarkable in many ways

Sly Stallone said:
Arctic Monkeys suck

No, not that Marty Bum thing or whatever it's called.

It's just that they are not at all as good as the British media want to make them.

They're a good band but they're not much different from most of the other bands around now. Their lyrics are fantastic though.

I wonder if Bono could ever write any social commentary-esque lyrics instead of "i'll give you everything you want, except the thing that you want" :|

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom