Arcade Fire new stuff 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not their biggest fan, even though I enjoy quite a few songs and love "Wake Up", but I reallly liked those two new tunes. Looking foward to their next album. :hmm:

From "Secret Show" on June 4, 2010

scaled.php

scaled.php

Said the Gramophone - an mp3 blog

AF plays tonight. We should have some vids of the new songs online soon after! :hyper:

The suburbs
ready to start
keep the car running
we used to wait
no cars go
haiti
intervention
rococo
empty room
modern man
tunnels
power out
-----
month of may
rebellion
-----
wake up (acoustic)

Pitchfork: Watch: New Arcade Fire Songs Live

Arcade Fire's dualities burn bright

By T'CHA DUNLEVY, The Gazette June 8, 2010 12:18 PM

3124506.bin

Win Butler (L) and Regine Chassagne (R) of the Montreal-based indie rock band Arcade Fire perform at the Granada theatre in Sherbrooke, Quebec on Monday, June 7, 2010.

Photograph by: Dario Ayala / THE GAZETTE,

It wasn't exactly The Suburbs, as per the title of its new album, out Aug. 3, but Arcade Fire did one better -drawing 1,200 fans (including many Montrealers who made the two-hour drive) to the Granada Theatre, in the strip-mall-surrounded city of Sherbrooke last night, for the first of two shows.

Not counting a secret, invite-only performance before 75 people on Friday, it was the group's first hometown (-ish) gig in three years, and the highly anticipated international premiere of the material from the new disc.

This was a test run, just far enough from Montreal and the global spotlight to get everything right before jumping into a busy summer touring schedule that includes an outdoor, headlining performance at the Osheaga Music and Arts Festival on July 31. If last night was any indication, that could be the show of the year.

Mixing songs new and old (seven tracks from its upcoming third disc, versus eight from the first two), the band displayed a refreshing sense of musical freedom -- as if the bright-eyed anthemics of its breakthrough 2004 debut Funeral and the bleak tension of the Springsteen-informed followup Neon Bible had given way to a less heavy, almost fun (!) sense of worldly wisdom.

They opened with The Suburbs' title track, released as a single a couple of weeks back (along with Month of May, which came later in the show).
Over an almost country-styled groove, Win Butler sat at the piano and sang of differences between places to live (city vs. outskirts), and states of mind. It evoked breezy nostalgia, before building into a rocker, violins soaring softly over the bouncy rhythm.

Ready To Start, another new one, was a new-wavey dance ditty, seemingly about shedding the past and jumping into the now.

Old favourite Keep the Car Running brought a surge of energy and a joyous singalong, following which Butler addressed the crowd.

"Merci. We're going to play some new songs tonight. I hope that's alright."

We Used to Wait was a charged rocker about "how our lives are changing fast.

It was followed by three from the back catalogue: No Cars Go, a classic Arcade Fire anthem; the playful Haiti, sung with charged emotion by Butler's wife Regine Chassagne; and Intervention, with its churchly organ and apocalyptic imagery.

Then three more new ones, of which Rococo was a spooky standout, the spiteful lyrics "Let's go downtown and watch the modern kids," offset by the almost yodelling chorus.

Modern Man, shortly after, picked up the thread, questioning just what the term means before assuming it by song's end.

As always, Arcade Fire thrives on dualities -between youth and adulthood, dark and light, celebration and sorrow. With the new material, the band seems more able than ever to blur the lines.

It's a theme that carried over to the music, as once-easy-to-pinpoint influences became a library of sounds that the group referenced at will, and with a spirited sense of mischief.

They were enjoying themselves on stage last night -- and well they should have been.

After exploding onto the world stage, then fighting to keep identity and dignity intact, they have attained an exciting maturity, and unpretentious mastery of their craft.

Arcade Fire performs again tonight at the Granada Theatre in Sherbrooke. The show is sold out. See a gallery of images from last night's show at montrealgazette.com/photos.

tdunlevy@thegazette.canwest.com

Yeah, presale #1 for me tomorrow too (we have an AMEX presale, and then the AF one Thursday). My friend wants seats, which is fine but I'm wondering if I can afford to throw back AMEX seats if not great, in the hope of better seats in the AF presale, I'm a bit anxious about that..

Excluding its lyrical subject matter, it's actually a pretty apt description.

Had a lot of personal things going on, so I've mostly been away from B&C for a while, but trying to slowly wade back in.

Neon Bible was lab-tested to be goosebump-inducing, but that's just not the way it works . . .

Excellently put. Completely agree with your statement there. Especially 'Intervention'.

But they did keep the Power Out -->Rebellion combination, which is one of the best live one-two punch I've ever heard.

Yes. Absolutely. I screamed so loud at that segue when I saw them at The Greek, that people rows in front of me were turning around to get a glimpse of the lunatic elating his head off.

I just listened to the streams of the two new songs. Not bad, not mind-blowing either. I liked the 'Month Of May' one slightly better, if only because I seem to like Arcade Fire when they go darker, e.g., 'Black Mirror', 'Rebellion (Lies)'.

Yeah, the presale site is slow - used 3 browsers, and had to wait a few minutes to get through.
Noticed that GA is sold out now.

eta - now more GAs look available - weird.

that site/crowdserge is whacked out. It's super slow, kept giving me server time outs. Then when I went to select GA floor it timed out and then when I finally went back in it said GA Floor was sold out so I selected center front reserved seats and that timed out a few times then I finally get thru and I don't get to choose qty, I get to the payment page and it says qty: 2 GA Floor (standing) at 48.50 a piece. So I ended getting GA floor tix even though I selected reserved seats! WTF.. Oh well I got what I wanted.. But that was the most bizarre ticket buying experience ever!

I did the AMEX presale for MSG this morning - TM was slow! But I got tix - Sec 9, which I am happy with, my friend did not want to do GA.

Arcade Fire Secret Show to Hit Toronto This Week?
6/8/2010 By Stephen Carlick

Toronto fans who heard about the Arcade Fire’s secret, intimate show in Montreal last Friday (June 4), you can stop looking so jealous now: the band apparently have a secret show scheduled for sometime later this week, between June 10 and 12.

Of course, details are incredibly scarce, but Quest management employee Scott Rodger got the ball rolling yesterday afternoon (June 7) by tweeting: “Arcade Fire...Toronto weekend coming up.”

And that’s not all. Later in the day, Collective Concerts posted on the promoter’s Twitter account that there was a “Major concert announcement coming Wednesday at noon...”

Of course, rumours are now flying about where the show might happen, with the Phoenix being named as a possible venue. While we usually dig the Phoenix as a concert venue, it seems just a little big for a secret show, considering the Montreal venue held only 50 people.

Either way, we’ve got our ears to the ground. And, worse comes to worse, you could always check out the band when they hit Toronto Island later this summer. That date, plus a number of others, can be seen here.

Below is footage of the Arcade Fire’s secret show in Montreal. Based on the size of this venue, our intern’s bedroom is now a viable venue option for the Toronto show.

Hey BoMac, there are far more details than that available :wink:

Yeah, now there is:

Arcade Fire will play two shows at the Danforth Music Hall on Friday and Saturday (June 11-12) nights to showcase their much-anticipated third studio album, The Suburbs, due Aug. 3.

The Montreal band played a surprise show in their hometown this week, in addition to two shows in Sherbrooke, Que., and a secret Toronto show was rumoured about Tuesday afternoon.

Well, it’s not secret anymore.

Tickets for both Toronto shows, $35, go on sale for cash only at the Danforth Music Hall box office at noon on each day of the respective gigs.

There is only one ticket allowed per person and you can’t buy tickets for other people or save spots in line.

Arcade Fire previously announced an Aug. 14 show at Olympic Island in Toronto.

Their other Canadian dates so far are July 13 at the Ottawa Bluesfest and July 31 at Montreal’s Osheaga Music And Arts Festival.

They're playing at the Danforth Music Hall Friday and Saturday night. Tickets go on sale at noon on the day of the show. $35 (+ $2.50 or something like that). Cash only. You can only buy one ticket each and arent allowed to save spots in line. I'd keep it on the downlow, but I'm sure everyone and their uncle knows about it now

edit: well there ya go :)

I assume you live and Montreal? Did you make it out to the last secret show?

I live in Alberta at the moment. :(

However, I'm going to the Osheaga Music & Arts Festival on July 31 with The National and Arcade Fire as the main bands that day. There's also a two week gap between that show and the Ottawa show, so I'm hoping they'll add more Montreal dates, especially now that a certain Irish band will no longer be performing during that time.

Awesome. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to make the trek to Osheaga.

It's one of their better lineups since they started this a few years ago.

Have you ever been? Have you ever been to that venue? It's a very pretty place, in a park on a man-made island right across from downtown. There's a hill at the back of the park where you can sit and have the skyline in view, although you're quite a ways from the stage.

The only drawback is 35,000 hitting the one subway station off the island at the very same time. It took me 2 hours to get to the door after Radiohead when it should have taken me 30 seconds.

I've never been to Montreal. Thats another reason I'd like to go to the festival; Its one place that I've always wanted to visit, but never have.

I've never been to Montreal. Thats another reason I'd like to go to the festival; Its one place that I've always wanted to visit, but never have.

Well, as an unofficial member of the Montreal Tourism Bureau, I'll offer to show you around should you decide to come. Plus, and I cannot stress this enough, Montreal concert crowds are second to none (in my opinion). So if you're going to see Arcade Fire, it might as well be at their home base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom