Arcade Fire Neon Bible + Tour "Part Deux"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because they managed to improve it tremendously. that said, there are people that were disappointed in seeing this song on the new album.

FitzChivalry said:
I didn't read through all 14 pages, so I don't know if someone already asked this, but . . . .

Does anyone know AF's rationale behind re-recording "No Cars Go" and then placing it on NB, when it was already released on the Arcade Fire (EP)?

I'm just curious.

This doesn't really answer your question but here's an excerpt from an article that I posted two pages back:

No Cars Go begins with a flutter of Disney-esque flutes, horns and strings. "We know a place where no planes go," Win sings over soaring, noodling guitars. "We considered not putting it on the album," Butler said of the song. "But we knew it would be a release. ... The idea was to not try to kill the listener. We tried to end on a hopeful note."

Lancemc said:
Can I just say that Ocean of Noise is fucking insane? In a super-awesome-brain-melting-sweetness sort of way? :drool:

My thoughts exactly.

Becoming one of my favorites

randhail said:
Anyone have any idea when the NYC details are going to be announced or where they're thought to be playing?

I am anxiously awaiting details as well. The *rumor* is that they are playing the United Palace waaay, waaay uptown (like Washington Heights uptown) - which used to be Rev. Ike's church hall but has been restored and has just started hosting concerts and such, Bloc Party is playing there this month.

This CD is so good that I hardly even feel the need to listen to Funeral these days.

Well, at least not as much as I used to.

Just got the deluxe edition by the way. FLIP BOOKSSSS. :drool:

Going to the April 26th show in San Diego and the June 1st show in San Francisco.

:hyper:

Oh man I had a few beers already tonight since midterms are over, and wow ATB is fun to dance to!

Finally listened to Neon Bible yesterday, three times over; it clearly needs many more spins to properly sink in. I think what stops me from looooving this band is the fact that I'm just not that crazy about the lead singer's voice - it doesn't really pull me in. Their music is fantastic though. Currently I'm loving Intervention; I've always been a sucker for organ, :drool:

After listening to Neon Bible 5 times, I think its sunk in on me enough to review it

I think something important that developed on this CD was a growth in maturity in the band. They still have a big sound, but they cut out what I thought of as the "happy coda's" (how they ended tunnels, crown of love, wake up ect...) It worked on that album, but it was good that they gave it up.

Another general thing I noticed were some huge springsteen influence's all over the place. Keep the car Running and Antichrist television blues could easily have been springsteen songs off of Born in the USA, and the piano that comes in on Ocean of Noise reminded me of Racing in the Streets

ok, now for the songs themselves. Overall I think the band did a great job of taking the components of what made funeral so great (emotion, orchestral arrangements), and applied it to Neon Bible, while still progressing enough for it not to sound like Funeral part II. Intervention I think is the clearest example of this, and its also my favorite song on the record. Other songs that I thought were great were Black Mirror, Ocean of Noise, Well and the Lighthouse, My Body is a Cage.

I really like every song though, so I'm thoroughly satisfied with the CD and can't wait to see them in May

Canadiens1160 said:
I'm glad they kept the "happy coda" for Well and the Lighthouse :drool:

from my recollection, well and the lighthouse kind of fades out slowly to end it

what I mean by "happy codas" are how for some random reason the last 30-40 seconds of these songs would like pick up speed, a bouncy organ and snappy drum beat would come in and Win would start Oooing and such giving the songs really light-hearted endings that I thought were a little immature considering they did it 3-4 times on the album

Canadiens1160 said:
I'm glad they kept the "happy coda" for Well and the Lighthouse :drool:

That's the only truly good part of that song, IMO. The rest of it sounds like a really awkward Strokes homage.

I'm off to buy Neon Bible here in a little bit. I hope the packaging is sweet. :drool:

LemonMelon said:

That's the only truly good part of that song, IMO. The rest of it sounds like a really awkward Strokes homage.

I'm off to buy Neon Bible here in a little bit. I hope the packaging is sweet. :drool:

the deluxe edition packaging is very sweet. :drool:

I listened to the NPR broadcast again and that french song that the band played after Haiti(at the 30 minute mark) really caught my attention. It's so catchy I listened to it a few times.

Anyway, I found out the name of the song. It's called "Poupée de Cire, Poupée de Son" a song by France Gall, written by Serge Gainsbourg, and was the entry for Luxembourg in the 1965 Eurovision Song Contest.

Here's a link from the February 13 show in New York for anyone interested(just remove the spaces as per usual) :

http://s a v e f i l e.com/files/492525

The funny thing about this is at the end of the song after Win thanks the crowd for "coming out on a school night" a fan shouts: "Why a church?!"

Win:"Why a church? Who asks questions like that?"

Fan:"New Yorkers!"

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

really? I love Well and the Lighthouse... it reminds me of U2 actually :wink: but the echo backing vocals are really cool, and it's a much needed upbeat song (musically anyway)

neon bible is fawesome. Funeral had some mediocre songs. This album doesn't.

I just bought Neon Bible. :happy:

The regular version cost $13.99 so I couldn't afford the special edition. :madspit:

I feel like hunting down whoever made the outer box of the album. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE DAMN JEWEL CASE OUT! :mad:
I finally pried it out with the jaws of life, and then threw the box across the room. It'll stay there for the time being. :wink:

Anyway, the album sounds great, the inner packaging is nice...and I'm looking forward to playing this album approximately 3 times a day. :happy:

I finally purchased Neon Bible today! (super-sized please :wink: )

I was only familiar with "Intervention" from the itunes advance download and "Keep the Car Running" from SNL. Everything else was purely a first listen experience.

After 3 complete spins now, I don't think they have a "Wake Up" or a "Rebellion" on here, but what they do have is a consistant quality from start to finish. It is a much more complete album than the last one. Every song has something really addicting to my ears. Not one track makes me hesitate to skip over. I can't skip anything! I don't think I have ever said this about an album in a very long time, U2 included. It was great to hear this all today for first time. What a rush! :drool:

I think Windowsill is becoming one of my favourites on this album. the imagery in the song and the way it builds is so :drool: - worthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom