Aquafina Source Is Same As for Tap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsMofoGone

Blue Crack Addict
Aquafina Source Is Same As for Tap
By VINNEE TONG, AP Business Writer
22 HOURS AGO

NEW YORK - So you thought that water in your Aquafina bottle came from some far-away spring bubbling deep in a glen?

Try the same place as the water in your tap.

PepsiCo Inc. is the latest company to offer some clarity about the source of its top-selling bottled water as it announced on Friday it would change the label on Aquafina water bottles to spell out that the drink comes from the same source as tap water.

A group called Corporate Accountability International has been pressuring bottled water sellers to curb what it calls misleading marketing practices. The group has criticized PepsiCo over its blue Aquafina label with a mountain logo as perpetuating the misconception that the water comes from spring sources.

Aquafina is the single biggest bottled water brand, and its bottles are now labeled "P.W.S." The new labels will spell out "public water source."

"If this helps clarify the fact that the water originates from public sources, then it's a reasonable thing to do," PepsiCo spokeswoman Michelle Naughton said Friday. Aquafina water is taken from public sources then purified in a seven-step process.

The corporate accountability group is also pressing for similar concessions from The Coca-Cola Co., which owns the Dasani water brand, and Nestle Waters North America, seller of Nestle Pure Life purified drinking water, which gets some of its water from municipal sources.

Dasani's Web site says that Dasani comes from local water supplies, is filtered using a process called reverse osmosis and enhanced with minerals.

"We don't believe that consumers are confused about the source of Dasani water," Coca-Cola spokeswoman Diana Garza Ciarlante said. "The label clearly states that it is purified water."

Sales of bottled water has been a growing source of revenue for companies such as PepsiCo, based in Purchase, N.Y., and Atlanta-based Coca-Cola as they lessen their dependence on sales of traditional carbonated sodas, as consumer concern over health issues has weakened demand.

Nestle said Friday it has been printing new labels for its Pure Life water that say whether the water comes from municipal supplies or ground water, and the labels will begin showing up later this year. Pure Life is the only Nestle bottled water that uses public water sources and the company did not have an estimate for how much of its supply originates from public sources.

Wholesale sales of bottled water grew to $11 billion in 2006, according to the Beverage Marketing Corp., and the industry is expected to maintain growth rates of about 10 percent. The fastest growing segment of the industry is sales of bottles of less than 1.5 liters, which includes the individual serving sizes sold in many convenience and grocery stores.

The decisions by Nestle and PepsiCo come as criticism grows over environmental concerns about the industry's use of local water sources as well as consumption of resin and energy to package and ship the bottles.

Last month alone, a barrage of news hit the industry: San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom banned city-funded purchases of bottled water; New York City launched an ad campaign called "Get Your Fill" to promote the benefits of tap water; and the U.S. Conference of Mayors adopted a resolution to bring attention to the importance of public water systems and the negative impact of bottled water.

"I think it's unfortunate we have gotten into this tap water vs. bottled water debate," the CEO of the International Bottled Water Association, Joe Doss, said. "I do not think consumers are uniformly replacing tap water with bottled water."

PepsiCo shares fell $1.18, or 1.8 percent, to $65.66 Friday amid a broad market pullback.

:hmm: Maybe it would be BEST to just 'drink' water from our own faucets ... inside of spending the money on the same water to be bottled.

Afterall, we can bottle the tap ourselves !! :up:

I am not surprised. I have suspected this all along. They're making millions off yuppies and health craze nuts who really think they're drinking something healthier than their own tap water. I know people who refuse to drink their tap water, and keep dozens of these bottles around the house, even brush their teeth with the bottled water!

The reason it got so popular is partly because the kind of people who are the health craze types are usually the ones with the most money, and don't mind spending it. Companies took advantage of this. Me, I stuck with my tap water, and paid a lot less. When I got to a resturant, I ask for ice water from their faucets instead of paying over a buck for bottled water.

I always thought the imagery of the mountains and springs was meant to trick people. You know there's nobody out there filling these things up in springs, and if they were, they'd cost a lot more.

I recall a few years back Food Lion got busted for calling their jugs of water 'spring water' and now must put on the label as the source the Salisbury, MD public water system.

Originally posted by Butterscotch
I always thought the imagery of the mountains and springs was meant to trick people. You know there's nobody out there filling these things up in springs, and if they were, they'd cost a lot more.

You know actually there is one who's reliable that's still out there.
The 'Ice Mountain' brand clearly states "Natural Spring Water" on their bottles.
And get this ... Ice Mountain IS alot cheaper to buy than the 'Aquafina' brand too.

MsMofoGone said:
Nestle said Friday it has been printing new labels for its Pure Life water that say whether the water comes from municipal supplies or ground water, and the labels will begin showing up later this year. Pure Life is the only Nestle bottled water that uses public water sources and the company did not have an estimate for how much of its supply originates from public sources.

Well, this explains the 2 litres for $2 deal at the Esso gas station. I thought that was a little ridiculous. It was a godsend this morning, though - my hangover's almost gone! :happy:

Well it was pretty obvious for anyone who bothered to read the label. It clearly always stated that it was reverse osmosed. No surprises there.

I don't drink Aquafina or Dasani because they both taste awful anyway.

Re: Re: Aquafina Source Is Same As for Tap

DaveC said:

Well, this explains the 2 litres for $2 deal at the Esso gas station. I thought that was a little ridiculous. It was a godsend this morning, though - my hangover's almost gone! :happy:

Nestle Pure Life in Canada is SPRING water. Nestle Pure Life in the US is purified municipal water.

The difference lies in the fact that the Canadian subsidiary bought out Aberfoyle and maintained their bottling facilities.

How is this just becoming a big deal? Pepsi hasn't tried to mislead anyone. It sounds like some people with a little too much time on their hands were just out to stir the pot. Besides Ayer, MA isn't exactly known to be a mountain retreat with sparkling streams - just look at a map.

I think the pot stirring is due to plastic water bottle growing in landfills. The plan is to educate people on where their bottled water actually comes from and maybe, just maybe they'll think twice about buying a $3.00 bottle of water. You can have water purifiers installed in your home for a fraction of the price of buying bottled water every day.

My tap water tastes funny to me, so I don't care to drink it. I do buy the big plastic jugs of water, rather than the small ones, and I recycle them. I even reuse a handful of them to have my backup water in case a massive earthquake hits Seattle. :uhoh:

But I am planning on buying a Brita water filter pitcher thingy instead and stop buying even the big jugs of water.

Re: Re: Re: Aquafina Source Is Same As for Tap

anitram said:

I don't drink Aquafina or Dasani because they both taste awful anyway.

:up: I heartily agree.

anitram said:

Nestle Pure Life in Canada is SPRING water.

That's what I drink, and iirc, in this area, it comes from a spring near Guelph. I also remember hearing recently that the city/township is getting all up in arms that the company is taking this water for free and selling it, implying, I think, that there could be future consequences or limits placed on the company.

Tap water here tastes like shit, and since water is pretty much all I drink, we buy a crazy amount of bottled water.

I buy exclusively bottled water (for drinking not brushing teeth, lol), because I moved into a brand new building last September and the tap water tastes awful. Like metal pipes. Nobody I know who lives there drinks it. My roommate uses a filtration system, but she doesn't really drink much water anyway - it's almost exclusively coffee/tea/sports drinks, so it doesn't bother her as much.

i drink fiji anyway :shrug:

i don't feel bad about the cost or anything, because i see it as it's my money which i can spend however i see fit. i recycle the bottles, so i do my part. plus i don't always drink bottled, half the time i just grab a glass and drink tap. bottled is more for when i'm out, so i'd still spend money buying a drink somewhere else anyway.

i noticed that even in some suburban areas and rural areas i've lived in, loads of people absolutely refuse to drink the tap water. i don't understand. i lived in DC for a year, the crap that came from our tap was ACTUALLY BROWNISH TINT. we were actually sent free filters in the mail. yes, then we NEEDED the bottled/filtered water. our taps were dangerous. i think after that experience, if the water is clear, i don't need to fear. thus, i prefer tap when i'm not living in the city.

Last edited:
Brown water occasionally comes out of the tap.

Brown water does not come out of Aquafina bottles.

I appreciate whatever they do to refine it, so I'm sticking with bottled water.

My local tap water is gooood :drool: However, I would not drink tap water in southern Illinois (just across the river from me) because it is not so good. Personally, I prefer my local tap water to bottled water because, to me, bottled water just tastes flat, or else like a plastic bottle :shrug: I've been drinking good ol' Paducah, Kentucky water for 22 years, and it hasn't killed me yet.

I'm still highly amused by the blind water taste test that ABC's 20/20 did in New York City a couple of years ago. Citizens were offered several different plastic cups of water and told to rate them. As I recall, the K-Mart brand American Fare (which was the cheapest of the bottled waters tested) came in first. New York City tap water (which they got from a water fountain in Central Park) tied for third with another brand of bottled water, and Evian came in last (several people grimaced when they tasted it, it was hilarious :lol: )

LemonMelon said:
Brown water occasionally comes out of the tap.

Brown water does not come out of Aquafina bottles.

I appreciate whatever they do to refine it, so I'm sticking with bottled water.
Time to move, sucka. My taps ain't no storm drain, yo.

Canadiens1160 said:
Time to move, sucka. My taps ain't no storm drain, yo.

Canadian water...:drool:

Actually, our tap water here at the house is pretty good. Brown stuff only came out once. The water by the sink is quality, and is used for cooking, but we buy the huge plastic water jugs at the store for drinking, just in case.

Re: Re: Re: Aquafina Source Is Same As for Tap

anitram said:

Nestle Pure Life in Canada is SPRING water. Nestle Pure Life in the US is purified municipal water.

The difference lies in the fact that the Canadian subsidiary bought out Aberfoyle and maintained their bottling facilities.

I actually grabbed a bottle on my way out tonight, and the first thing I did was check the label - turns out you're right. Canadian water :up:

Tap water here in Halifax has a bit of a chemical/metallic aftertaste. I avoid it unless it's gone through a Brita or it's my only choice.

The water in NYC was amazing - totally unexpected (I figured the pipes would be crazy old), but when you're too broke to buy a Pepsi, it didn't hurt. :drool:

Last edited:
I find this funny, not because they skammed everyone, but just because my friend liked to rant about how aquafina is all natural and suppose to be the "best" for you and has the best taste, bla bla bla, and 2 days ago we were sitting in a resturant and all of a sudden, we see, Breaking news! Aquafina is tap! or something like that.. I got a good laugh..

hey, i dont care, ill drink it, after having that nasty egg water for four weeks, i'll drink anything..

U2democrat said:
They do put it through a purification process :shrug: I'm still going to drink it because it tastes and is refreshing.

Same here. It's NOT the same as tap water because it's purified, and that's why I prefer to drink it.

Though I'll always choose Dr. Pepper before bottled water :drool:
:superunhealthy:

aquafina is the shittiest tasting bottled water there is and this explains it. its has a very soft taste which makes for a dulling sensation in your mouth.

poland springs, thanks much.

I personally don't drink our tap water. I use it to cook and to brush my teeth though. But for drinking, it just doesn't taste that great. Not sure how old the pipes are in my apt building, but it's not the best. I use my brita at home and bring bottles of that with me to work and going out. I'll buy bottled if I'm out somewhere and don't have water on me though. I try to recycle my bottles after I'm done but a lot of places around here don't even do that much.

This might be a good idea for some...and others might scoff at me.

I can NEVER find it in my frugal heart to buy bottled water.

So, you say "but I hate how my tap water tastes!" My family and I did too when we lived in Iowa. However, we would simply put the water in a jug or bottle...and place it in the fridge. Maybe it was just because it was so cold, but the taste that was there out of the tap was gone after sitting in a fridge for a while.

I still do this, though our water tastes GREAT to me right now. :yes: Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom