Appreciation Thread: Dan Brown ("Angels and Demons" and "The Da Vinci Code")

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
Appreciation Thread: Dan Brown ("Angels and Demons" and "The Da Vinci Code")

I haven't read the "Code", but thought the prequel was a fun read. Anyone else read it or both? Thoughts?

While the writing itself leaves a lot to be desired, I loved the storyline and the audacity to question Christian history.

I made $8.50 on my copy of The DaVinci Code, thanks to Amazon.com. :up:

I didn't like The DaVinci Code. The premise wasn't anything new to me. Brown ignores the cult of Mary within the Catholic Church, which many scholars feel is the replacement/equivalent of a Mother Goddess figure, because it goes against his whole "Catholics hate women" argument. (Interestingly, he ignores the fact that the Protestants removed the feminine from Christianity alot more than Catholics ever did.)

I really hated the writing and I thought the storyline was weak, when you really look at it, it's only held together by the various symbolism lectures. I think I'm more annoyed that I did get sucked into all that, based on his "author's note" that the historical documents described were accurate. Only to find out later that they aren't. I should have known better, my bad. :wink:
(Although I'm still not buying that's the apostle John in the Last Supper...it sure looks like a woman to me! I side with him on that one. :wink:)

But I have to admit, I like Brown's argument of his so called "sacred feminine" and I would like to see people embrace that. But I don't think people are taking that away from it, at least not that I have seen.

wow that's the first negative thing i've ever heard someone say about that book

haven't read it, but everyone's been telling me to. i can't seem to read anything over 350 pages though.

I've only read "Angels and Demons" which deals with some of the same characters. I enjoyed reading it for the suspense and the cat and mouse chase storyline. Everyone should read it; it should take only a few nights to complete due to the flow of the words. Great book.

I'm on the library waiting list for "Da Vinci"

I've read them all, including his other books (the ones that have nothing to do with Catholicism)...

Very entertaining books but thats about it. Most of it is simply untrue.

Interestingly enough.....Brown left out the most insane part of The DaVinci Code...
I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't read the book so if you care to know, I'll put it in my journal.

I heard his "most insane" part and laughed out loud.

If it's the same theory (and I think it is), I'm pretty sure it's a medical impossibility.

I read Angels and Demons first...couldn't put it down. Then I finally read The Da Vinci Code a few weeks ago...good, but I think I prefer A & D.

Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's so insane about Jesus possibly having a child? Isn't that what you're talking about? If not, then I'm thinking of something else, but recently Brown professed he'd contemplated adding that twist to the subtext of the story. I don't understand why Jesus couldn't have fathered a child, when he was capable of experiencing everything else (pain, pleasure, etc).

I have read the Da Vinci Code and I'm currently readin A&D.

I really liked the Da Vinci code from an entertainment point of view. But on the other hand, I disagree with loads of things. Many things are pretty inaccurate.

( If my Theology teachers from College read this book, they would have a heartt attack!)

Danospano said:
Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's so insane about Jesus possibly having a child? Isn't that what you're talking about? If not, then I'm thinking of something else, but recently Brown professed he'd contemplated adding that twist to the subtext of the story. I don't understand why Jesus couldn't have fathered a child, when he was capable of experiencing everything else (pain, pleasure, etc).

I was commenting on the theory that he *didn't* put into the book.

I guess this could be a spoiler...so, Spoiler Alert. Read no farther.

Brown wanted to include the theory that Jesus survived the cruicifixion and lived for many years. (Apparently, I'm one of the few people on earth who hadn't heard this before. Nothing Brown proposes is new, that's for sure.)

While Google informs me that there are cases of people surviving, I think it would be incredibly difficult from even a strictly medical viewpoint. Since Brown emphasizes (and this is a view I share, too) Jesus' life as a mortal man, one cannot really argue "Well, he was the Son of God and had great healing powers." If he did survive, one would think this miracle (and it really would have been one in my view) would have found it's way in the Bible--I would think it would find its way into other records.

From a theological standpoint, I see it as a moot point since Jesus was resurrected--thus "surviving" anyway. :shrug:
Of course, Brown would say that the resurrection wasn't literal, that he merely came out of a coma or something and it was interpreted as resurrection from the dead, etc.

Like I've said countless times here, I'm not devoutly religious and nothing Brown says offends me. I just don't find it that remarkable and some of it, like the crucifixion theory, I find more silly than shocking. :shrug:

i definitely enjoyed the da vinci code. i wasn't offended by it because i saw it for what it was - fiction. i thought it was a great read - really entertaining. i recently was given angels and demons and i'm looking forward to reading it.

yertle-the-turtle said:
wow that's the first negative thing i've ever heard someone say about that book

haven't read it, but everyone's been telling me to. i can't seem to read anything over 350 pages though.

I have heard only good things about this book too, I was considering buying a copy in the bookshop here as they are all reduced to ?2 (about $3-4)

Yertle you may like to read Don Quixote :wink:
350 pages is nothing compared to that book :crack:

Horrible Theology? ---- I don't claim to be proficient in theological subjects, but I personally believe that Dan Brown knows just as much if not more than anyone else who's ever lived. That's my perrogative. Religious history is tarnished with individuals who altered stories to fit their own agendas, so it's most likely that none of us know what happen for certain.

As for Screaming Flower: I think you'll enjoy "Angels and Demons". Very few books are that hard to put down. I read it in two nights, whereas I would normally take a few weeks to get through an entire book of that length. I didn't sleep much :).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom