Appreciation of the History of Alternative Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in my day, radio was a little more eclectic, there were no Clear Channels taking stations over and making the playlists more mainstream....so there were definitely alternative stations, that just did not play stuff you'd hear elsewhere except for maybe college radio. Today, I think the internet is the place to go for that sort of music, though I now rely on friends and this site for new music recommendations.

Until UF, U2 hardly got mainstream play, and even then it was relegated to Pride, maybe SBS or New Year's Day got some play....JT was obviously their breakthrough...but it took 5 albums in 7 years to get there.....but until then, they were truly alternative....

All this talk about alternative, yet there are tons and tons of bands with even less exposure, who would probably have been categorized as "underground" back when alternative meant something. I cannot claim to be as familiar with such bands.

Chris Cornell has one of the great rock voices. I never really got into Soundgarden, though. I think "Outshined" is the one song I still kind of like by them.

namkcuR said:
Soundgarden's "Superunknown" blows my mind. I just got into listening to the whole record the past few weeks and WOW.

Limo Wreck :rockon:

The Day I Drived To Live :combust:

Like Suicide :combust:

Spoonman :rockon:

Black Hole Sun :rockon:

etc etc

Chris Cornell might just be my favorite singer out of that group of frontmen(Veddar, Staley, Cornell, Cobain...I don't know why I feel obligated to include Cobain in that list when he couldn't sing for shit compared to the other three).

The title track!

:drool:

Seattle has a GREAT alternative/indie/college (although it's not college-based) radio station, and you can listen online.

KEXP.org ... 90.3 FM if you're local! :)

Another good internet radio station is WOXY.com, out of Cincinnati.

They both play "classic" alternative stuff, as well as new and local indie music. KEXP can sometimes get on a kick where a DJ will play a set of hip-hop or jazzy stuff, and I'll turn the station, but usually it's a great place to check out new stuff.

They also have the specialty shows you find on those kinds of stations - hip hop on the weekends, rockabilly Friday nights, reggae on Saturday morning, etc.

Not sure if WOXY has those specialty shows or not.

I'm in the NSW/corianderstem club. :hi5:

And I do love Cornell, though I don't own any of his solo material :reject: If you like his voice, definitely check out the first Audioslave CD :drool:

COBL_04 said:
What's the defining definition of alternative rock?

Music that doesn't clog up the top 40.

Unless you're talking about 90's alternative. In that case, I have no idea. Alternative was top 40 then.

COBL_04 said:
What's the defining definition of alternative rock?

exactly, "alternative" is too vague and I think is the term somebody uses when doesn't know the real genre

and genres are a mess too

No spoken words said:
Back in my day, radio was a little more eclectic, there were no Clear Channels taking stations over and making the playlists more mainstream....so there were definitely alternative stations, that just did not play stuff you'd hear elsewhere except for maybe college radio. Today, I think the internet is the place to go for that sort of music, though I now rely on friends and this site for new music recommendations.

Long Island's WDRE! :drool:

Seen enough to eye you
But I've seen too much to try you
It's always weirdness while you
Dig it much too much to fry you
The weirdness flows between us
Anyone can tell to see us
Freak scene just can't believe us
Why can't it just be cool and leave us?

Guided By Voices :up: x 1,000,000

I'm sorry I didn't hear about them sooner. I mean, I'd heard OF them, but assumed it wouldn't be up my alley, from what I'd heard about them.

An ex-boyfriend played me some of their songs, and I was thoroughly chastised. They're awesome.

Back
Top Bottom