Apple or PC? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #16
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:27 AM
macs

Old 12-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 03:27 AM
I love windows, so PCs Machintosh are good too but they're just more complicated... at least, to me they seem like.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Why not both? I have a Windows PC and a PowerBook, and they're both very handy. If you're interested in a Mac, why not give it a shot? They're way cheaper these days than they've ever been, and the move to Intel will close the performance gap that everyone's always complaining about.

And there are plenty of "experienced users" who use Macs. It's a very interesting operating system to tinker with, if you're into that. It's a Mach microkernel that doesn't really run as a microkernel, with a process subsystem derived from FreeBSD (shipping with a lot of very useful userland Unix toys) and an I/O subsystem derived from NeXTSTEP. The higher level gives you two robust APIs (Cocoa, derived from NeXTSTEP, and Carbon, derived from Mac OS Classic) with access to all sorts of neat subsystems (like all the Core services, QuickTime, Spotlight, etc.). Plus, it comes with developer tools (you can install the Xcode IDE off the installer DVD). And everything's scriptable via AppleScript (plus it comes with a ton of Unix scripting languages, like Perl, Python, and Ruby, built-in). What kind of advanced user couldn't find something to play with in all of that? It's really a very fun system to geek out with.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:30 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:27 AM
The pc I'm on right now has been alive and well for a good 8 years now. I bought it after my friend used it for 4 years for $200 and I've had no problems.

I recently bought another pc specifically for my gaming habits...I'm pathetic. The first attempt, the power suppy fried. Now I got a great surge protector and it works perfect. I'm a video game nerd though so PC for me. Macs just look cool tho don't they?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:56 AM   #20
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 12:27 AM
I don't play games on my PC. I am going to need a separate hard drive because I have so many pictures and video from my digital camera, and the new iPod has me d/l so much music now and I'd like to keep that separate and protected from the stuff on the main hard drive.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #21
Refugee

I use a PC. It's what I started off with, and they're very easy to tear down/build and parts are dirt cheap. I don't have any real reason to switch.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

MAC, give them a chance , they're really a lot easier to use than they look...all the different features make it a lot more convenient. Having been a PC user for a long time when I eventually switched some years back it was like switching from a Mazda to a BMW.

I'll never go back to PC

---by the way, I have the Powerbook G4
Old 12-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I've worked with an Apple II and the original Mac - they were groundbreaking for their day. But, I prefer the ability to build and change a PC. I've built 3 computers at home - all PCs.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
And there are plenty of "experienced users" who use Macs. It's a very interesting operating system to tinker with, if you're into that. It's a Mach microkernel that doesn't really run as a microkernel, with a process subsystem derived from FreeBSD (shipping with a lot of very useful userland Unix toys) and an I/O subsystem derived from NeXTSTEP. The higher level gives you two robust APIs (Cocoa, derived from NeXTSTEP, and Carbon, derived from Mac OS Classic) with access to all sorts of neat subsystems (like all the Core services, QuickTime, Spotlight, etc.). Plus, it comes with developer tools (you can install the Xcode IDE off the installer DVD). And everything's scriptable via AppleScript (plus it comes with a ton of Unix scripting languages, like Perl, Python, and Ruby, built-in). What kind of advanced user couldn't find something to play with in all of that? It's really a very fun system to geek out with.
I'll be honest here. You lost me after the second sentence.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #25
Refugee

^^^^ I'll second that.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:49 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

i thikn pcs are more compatible and universal
but macs are good as well. i'm just saying more people have pcs so if you want to transfer your files or dos omething iono..it might be handy to ahve what most people have.